I'm going to find adventure in the evening air! An August '18 solo trip report! New PTR link 01/04

I'm trying to get caught up around here and saw your post. I'm so sorry about your aunt. I'm glad you were able to get a refund at least and that's one less thing to worry about. My thoughts are with you.

I'm sorry to hear it, both the cancelled Disney trip and your aunt's health. Wishing you and your family the best.
Thank you Jeff.

So sorry Susan, family is much more important! Take care and prayers being sent!
Yes, they certainly are. Thanks Caroline!

Praying and sending positive thoughts your way...
Thank you Jenny!

I'm trying to get caught up around here and saw your post. I'm so sorry about your aunt. I'm glad you were able to get a refund at least and that's one less thing to worry about. My thoughts are with you.
Thanks Kathy! It is nice to "see" you on the boards. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I flew out from Toronto to Moncton on Sunday afternoon.My aunt was so happy to see me, she kept saying "I can't believe you're here" over and over again. On Sunday she was on a Bipac machine to help her lungs ventilate. She tolerated it pretty well but you could tell it was not very comfortable. On Monday, she had an amazing day. She was sitting up, was able to just have an oxygen mask to allow her to eat and even walked with the walker down the hall. Unfortunately this did not last and Tuesday was very challenging. They tried high flow oxygen from Monday afternoon on and she managed to tolerate it. Her poor lungs were working so hard though, it was like running a marathon each day. On Wednesday morning we met with the team and they gave her two options; she could take morphine to be comfortable and let things take their course or they could intubate her and put her on a ventilator and give her lungs a chance to heal. She emphatically told us she wants to fight. So they did that procedure Wednesday morning and it went well. They will keep her on the ventilator for 4-6 days and see where things are at after that. It is a 50/50 chance but she is the most feisty 86 year old you could ever meet. If anyone can come back from this, it will be Shirley. My whole heart was left behind in that hospital room when I went home Wednesday afternoon. We are hoping she will be transferred back to PEI next week. I have a flight booked for next Friday to go back down and will go sooner if necessary. She is fighting the good fight.

Back soon to wrap up this trip report!

So sorry to hear about your Aunt, Susan, my thoughts are with you! You're where you need to be :hug:
Thanks Ariane! Disney will always be there but family is so precious. She did pretty well yesterday and they are considering starting to wean her from the ventilator. I am going back down on Friday for sure and may go sooner, depending on the situation.

So sorry to hear what you are going through. Hope things improve soon.

Susan, I was just stopping by to complete my reading of your trip report and in hopes of hearing a little about your Christmas adventure.

So sad to read about the fight your aunt is currently battling. I am praying for your dear Aunt Shirley. Sounds like she is made of tough stuff. Praying for her comfort and strength and healing and peace for you and family members as you pray for her. Lots of hugs!

So sorry to hear what you are going through. Hope things improve soon.
Thank you Kari! I am flying to PEI this afternoon to spend an extended weekend with her.

Susan, I was just stopping by to complete my reading of your trip report and in hopes of hearing a little about your Christmas adventure.

So sad to read about the fight your aunt is currently battling. I am praying for your dear Aunt Shirley. Sounds like she is made of tough stuff. Praying for her comfort and strength and healing and peace for you and family members as you pray for her. Lots of hugs!
Thanks so much! She certainly is fierce and determined. If anyone can come back from this, she can.

Real life update continued.....

I was in Moncton (New Brunswick) last week for four days with my darling Shirley. Last Wednesday, the doctors gave her the option to go on a ventilator to give her a chance for her lungs to heal. She told us she wants to fight and that she would try it. I flew home that afternoon while my sister and cousin stayed on to be with her. Thankfully, she was able to be transferred back to PEI on Tuesday of this week. They removed her from the ventilator on Wednesday afternoon and she is on high flow oxygen to help support her breathing now. She is still fighting hard and demanded to sit up in the chair Wednesday afternoon! I am flying out this afternoon to be with her again. So thankful to my wonderful principal at school who gets how important family is.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and prayers, it really means a lot. :grouphug:

I have opened this report so many times to read, and have been pulled away by something else every time. Today I finally binged the whole thing! What an amazing trip!!

I love the Minnie dress...it looks like the one I have! I wore mine to MNSSHP last year!

Your pool days might be inspiring me to try something like that the next time I make a solo visit. I skipped the pool at AKL on my last solo trip and really regretted it.

I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt's health issues. Safe travels as you fly to be with her, and back home again. You'll all be in my thoughts!!

I have opened this report so many times to read, and have been pulled away by something else every time. Today I finally binged the whole thing! What an amazing trip!!

I love the Minnie dress...it looks like the one I have! I wore mine to MNSSHP last year!

Your pool days might be inspiring me to try something like that the next time I make a solo visit. I skipped the pool at AKL on my last solo trip and really regretted it.

I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt's health issues. Safe travels as you fly to be with her, and back home again. You'll all be in my thoughts!!
Thank you so much! My trip was amazing and I am seriously looking forward to being "home" again in July! I found my Minnie dress on Rosegal for $25, such a sweet deal! I do love my relaxing pool time....I think it will feature heavily in my upcoming anniversary trip with my DH. I really appreciate your kind thoughts.

Praying for safe travels for you and restored health and strength for your dear Shirley.
Thank you so much, I really appreciated all the kind thoughts and prayers surrounding us.

Good morning to all my lovely Disfriends...... just wanted to let you know that my darling Shirley left us on Saturday evening. I arrived on PEI Friday night and went directly from the airport to the hospital. I was there until about 10 and then went home to grab some sleep. Her nurse called me about 20 minutes later and said she was really agitated and was asking for me to come back. So I went back and it was just the two of us as I rubbed her back and held her hand as she managed to fall asleep. She had a bit of a restless night on Friday and had a dip with her oxygen levels early Saturday morning. They managed to get everything back on track and she was sleeping peacefully when I arrived about 11. We had a beautiful afternoon together and some of my cousins and my sister were there to visit her as well. She had supper and was wondering about my boys and what they were going to have for supper since I wasn't home! That was typical Shirley, always thinking of others. She started to have some anxiety and shortness of breath again in the early evening and I called my sister and cousins to come back. Her oxygen levels were really dipping and she was struggling. The doctor asked her what she wanted to do and we decided it would be best to keep her comfortable and pain free. So all the monitors were turned off, the lights were dimmed and we all surrounded her. We played Christmas music for her and told her how much we loved her. She left us at 8:20 pm on the feast day of the Immaculate Conception. As she was a devout Catholic, it would mean a lot to her to leave this world on a feast day.

My heart is utterly broken and I know I will never have the beautiful love, connection and friendship I had with her with anyone else. She was one of a kind and I will always be Shirley's girl. Thank you all for your kind thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. It really means a lot.:grouphug:

Sorry to hear that your Aunt has passed, but at least you were there in the end and made her and yourselves as peaceful as possible. Sending you positive thoughts during this difficult time.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like she was surrounded by love as she passed; I'm glad you got to spend that time with her. *hugs*

I'm sorry for your lost, but I am glad you were with her to share last bits of peace and comfort. I'm sure it made her happy to have you there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter