I'm a roller coaster chicken. Should I still ride Big Thunder?

BTMRR was my first coaster and now I go on the big ones too. Give it a try for sure. If you can do the Matterhorn you should be just fine on BTMRR. It’s so much fun!

DW did not like coasters. On one trip, she asked me what the mildest coaster in Disney was. I honestly forgot about Barnstormer, SDMT may not even have been in the imagineers minds then, and I said BTMRR. She HATED it. Now to be honest, I really like BTMRR. It does shake you around a bit. I especially like it at night. Its like a different ride then. If you want a mild coaster that isn't a kiddie coaster, try BTMRR. But it IS a coaster.

I'm not a roller coaster fan but big thunder is my favorite ride at MK and ill ride it over and over if I can. It really doesn't have drops. I think pirates has a bigger drop than anything on big thunder.

Big Thunder is great, and as others have said, if you can do Matterhorn then you should be good with Big Thunder.

For me, I have medical issues with my eyes and need to be careful on rollercoasters. So I avoid what I refer to as "adult" coasters....the ones that climb up a big hill and then zoom back down. Big Thunder however, is more small ups and downs and turns. There is no huge climb or drop. I went on it many times this past August (at Disneyland). I actually avoided Matterhorn due to the roughness (and avoided California Screamin for reason stated).

PS. I also have never gone on Splash (even though my son's very favorite ride) or Space Mountain

I think if you like the Matterhorn, Big Thunder will be fine for you. I haven't ridden the Matterhorn in a few years now but if I remember correctly, it's more on par with Thunder, and SDMT is even smoother and less intense than those two, so if you like one, you'll probably like all three.

Agree that while all of the coasters at Disney are great rides, they aren't really great COASTERS in the traditional sense, and that is what makes them unique and so fun, as that's not their focus or intent. RnR is probably the closest to your typical coaster and even that doesn't really have any significant drops. The biggest drop is probably on EE but that one is so well-designed as a story that I can't even tell you for sure that there was a big "stomach drop" style drop. I don't remember one!

Agreed - give it a try. BTMRR is probably my favorite as well and I don't do coasters as a rule. The big/steep drops get me. I only went on EE to make my DH happy. Never again.

I'm also a coaster chicken and BTMRR is pretty much right at my limit but a fun ride and I wouldn't skip it. It's more intense than Matterhorn or 7DMT but not WAY more intense. As others have mentioned, the thrills are from fast corners and not drops. I haven't done Space/Everest/RnRR but I can say BTMRR is way less scary than Splash, which is really over my limit but I will ride once in a while because 2 seconds of the ride are terrifying and the rest is super fun.

I wouldn't go on any coaster for years, but my DW talked me into BTMRR one time and now I think its my favorite ride at MK. Now that I've done that I like 7DMT as well, although that's considerably more difficult from the FP and standby wait time perspective. I've tried Space Mtn and still don't like it...rougher and I find it cramped. I'd give BTMRR a try (7DMT too).

It is not very intense. Every time it starts to get fast, it slows down and it goes up another lift-hill. If you like other small coasters like Matterhorn, then this one should be just fine for you.

Not a fan of extreme coasters but BTMR is a top 5 attraction in all of WDW for me. Remember it's not a roller coaster, it's a runaway mine train!:earsboy:

I'm a coaster chicken, but can do all 4 MK coasters plus Splash.

You're not that much of a chicken-just a little teeny one!!

Whereas I'm a big chicken..
our first trip -I was informed there was only a little drop on a children's fun story ride; ie splash mountain
I was petrified, screaming when will it end? And there are many drops- not one and not small:guilty:

Many years later, I was brave enough to try barnstormer- I screamed very loudly throughout; however I liked it.
I then attempted big thunder - again, screamed more than anyone- I thought it was noisy and shaky-rather scared but survived.
Mine train - I particularly enjoy :flower1:

I find that, as a non-coaster person, I generally don't like any "coaster" ride initially...it's the second time riding that I fall in love with it. Ride it at least twice, you WILL like it!

IF you can do Matterhorn you can do BTMRR. Also, my understanding is that Space at MK is extremely similar to the Matterhorn track. So I bet you can do that too.

Go for it! Big Thunder is great. I am not a coaster fan either, but this one is fun.

For me, I'm not a roller coaster fan because I hate the way I get "butterflies" in my stomach on drops.
The 1st time I road Goofy's Barnstormer many years ago, I recall going down the 1st drop shouting
"T H I S I S W H Y I D O N ' T L I K E R O L L E R C O A S T E R S".

However, last year, I realized I was going to have to suck it up and fulfill my role as "daddy" for my son that does love roller coasters.

Big Thunder turned into my "gate way roller coaster".

I had previously ridden Test Track and learned to make my stomach feel better by taking a deep breath and clinching my stomach muscles.
With that experience behind me, the 1st time I rode Big Thunder Railroad, I found I was able to more naturally easily control my stomach. I then took my son on BTMRR several times that day. I basically found BTMRR to be so easy to manage that, with much trepidation, I managed to take my son on Rocking Roller Coaster the next day.

I guess next year, I'll have to try to face Expedition Everest.

I need to start by stating that I don't do roller coasters or rides with big drops. Having said that, I love Matterhorn at Disneyland and could ride it over and over. I looked on YouTube and 7DMT looks pretty similar to Matterhorn when it comes to the thrill level so I have decided to try it out on my January trip. Space Mountain is out. I'm still on the fence about Big Thunder. For all those roller coaster chickens like me, should I ride or should I pass on it?

Most people advise you to try it. I don't know about that. You see, I am scared of the dips, seats, feeling of falling I get riding Soarin. Everyone else seems to be ok with this. For 3 years, I just bit the bullet and rode it with the family. Each time I was sick at my stomach, felt like I was going to fall, and white knuckle scared.
I finally decided, for myself, that I have never been happy riding it, so I just Don't! Everyone else rides it, and I sit it out with a snack and people watch:) I am much, much happier and don't miss it at all.
Now there is FOP. I have read all the threads and people advise everyone to just try it. I was almost tempted. However, I know myself and have decided not to ride it aftr all.
I think you KNOW yourself, what makes you happy and what does not, so I would forget all the advise and go with what you think is right for you.
Have a great time:)

OP- you could even get in line and then just see how you feel at the entrance to the ride

Ive done this before -I've both taken the chicken exit and rode; just go with your gut.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter