If not DCL, then who would you cruise with?

For us, DCL would be first choice IF the cost was even close to RCCL. DCL is twice the cost and since we are B2B cruisers its like getting a free week with RCCL. Took us years to leave DCL and try RCCL but now I wonder why we paid such a premium when other lines seem to be as good. We listened to the naysayers who warned that if you sailed on other lines you would be stranded in the middle of the ocean and the staff will leave on the lifeboats, oh the horror! Absolutely laughable. There are other options.

Our number one choice because DCL is so expensive is RCCL. We have a B2B booked on their new ship, the Symphony, in November. The Oasis class adult only area kicks DCL's a**. Its amazing and huge. They have zip lining, ice skating, rock wall climbing, things DCL doesn't have as yet. They have tons of dinning choices, I'm really looking forward to Jamie's Italian. I have looked at Wonderland and think that will be a great experience. My time dining, for us, is really the icing on the cake. We can dine when its convenient for us, not have a specific time, and the Windjammer Buffet is open for diner offering a lot of what is being served in the dinning rooms so if your in a huge hurry or just want to grab something to go your all set! RCCL's shows are excellent as well. I was pleasantly surprised to find several were Broadway quality.

So, long story short, for us, if not DCL then RCCL.

For us, DCL would be first choice IF the cost was even close to RCCL. DCL is twice the cost and since we are B2B cruisers its like getting a free week with RCCL. Took us years to leave DCL and try RCCL but now I wonder why we paid such a premium when other lines seem to be as good. We listened to the naysayers who warned that if you sailed on other lines you would be stranded in the middle of the ocean and the staff will leave on the lifeboats, oh the horror! Absolutely laughable. There are other options.

Our number one choice because DCL is so expensive is RCCL. We have a B2B booked on their new ship, the Symphony, in November. The Oasis class adult only area kicks DCL's a**. Its amazing and huge. They have zip lining, ice skating, rock wall climbing, things DCL doesn't have as yet. They have tons of dinning choices, I'm really looking forward to Jamie's Italian. I have looked at Wonderland and think that will be a great experience. My time dining, for us, is really the icing on the cake. We can dine when its convenient for us, not have a specific time, and the Windjammer Buffet is open for diner offering a lot of what is being served in the dinning rooms so if your in a huge hurry or just want to grab something to go your all set! RCCL's shows are excellent as well. I was pleasantly surprised to find several were Broadway quality.

I enjoyed hearing this POV, thanks! Symphony of the Seas does look amazing.

We have also done Holland America and Star Clippers. WE enjoyed them both and chose them because of their ports you visit. HA doesn't have as many things to do as Disney, but we did an Iceland one and it was fun. Star Clippers was a small ship with just a few kids, but you could do unique things like climb up the mast. I'd try something else if you see an itinerary that interests you. On HA, we did a concierge type room because it was cheaper than two rooms. It spoiled us. They did our laundry every day!

I am looking at cruises for next year and find we are getting priced out of DCL for our family of 5. I was wondering what other cruise lines you have had good experiences with for family-friendly cruising. My kids are ages 9-14, and we have only ever been on Carnival a long time ago. Any tips on who to look at, and who to avoid would be really appreciated. We would either depart from Galveston or Port Canaveral. Thanks!

I would not suggest Princess or HAL with kids. Not sure what they offer for kids as we have never checked that out.
You really can't recommend (or NOT recommend something you've not tried). Princess has good reviews on their kid's clubs. As long as there are more than 20 kids onboard.

NOTE: I'm not recommending Princess particularly, it's just what I've read.

You really can't recommend (or NOT recommend something you've not tried). Princess has good reviews on their kid's clubs. As long as there are more than 20 kids onboard.

NOTE: I'm not recommending Princess particularly, it's just what I've read.

True -- I think my observation comes from the fact we didn't see more than 5 or 6 kids/infants on the cruises for Princess and HAL :duck:

If not on Disney, we'd cruise NCL, and we're probably headed in that direction after our next DCL cruise. We want to do Alaska and DCL is prohibitively expensive for us, and NCL Bliss looks awesome. Our kids are getting to the ages where we won't be able to cruise during school week much longer, and NCL pricing during peak season looks a lot like DCL pricing during non-peak (when we usually cruise). The pot of gold is only so deep...

For us, DCL would be first choice IF the cost was even close to RCCL. DCL is twice the cost and since we are B2B cruisers its like getting a free week with RCCL. Took us years to leave DCL and try RCCL but now I wonder why we paid such a premium when other lines seem to be as good. We listened to the naysayers who warned that if you sailed on other lines you would be strand
ed in the middle of the ocean and the staff will leave on the lifeboats, oh the horror! Absolutely laughable. There are other options.

Please come back and tell us how you like it. Symphony looks beautiful!

If not on Disney, we'd cruise NCL, and we're probably headed in that direction after our next DCL cruise. We want to do Alaska and DCL is prohibitively expensive for us, and NCL Bliss looks awesome. Our kids are getting to the ages where we won't be able to cruise during school week much longer, and NCL pricing during peak season looks a lot like DCL pricing during non-peak (when we usually cruise). The pot of gold is only so deep...

You and me both. I have always wanted to do the Alaskan cruise but don't know how we can pull it. With the price of
that ONE cruise for our family we can do a lot with that money. I am also looking at NCL but still will keep an eye out
for DCL. I wish there were some VGT rates.

I have done 22 cruises on DCL and one on RCCL. My next two are in August and next February and they are on RCCL. I did not book a placeholder on my last DCL cruise.

Not the Oasis class. The really big ships make me nervous.

We chose HAL over DCL when we did Alaska because (1) the pricing and (2) HAL went to Glacier Bay and offered post-cruise land packages. We did a 7-day cruise and a 12-day land package up into the Yukon (with many excursions and some meals included and all hotel and transportation, including a flight from White Horse back to Fairbanks), and we STILL paid less than what Disney wanted just for the 7-night for 3!

We've tried NCL before and probably would end up going with them if not DCL. The NCL Bliss does look pretty nice. I do want to try MSC at some point and possibly RCCL.

We've tried NCL before and probably would end up going with them if not DCL. The NCL Bliss does look pretty nice. I do want to try MSC at some point and possibly RCCL.

The Bliss looks pretty amazing, though the prices are pretty high by NCL standards. I'm hoping it gets a bit better when the NCL Encore comes out in late 2019 and it's no longer the new kid on the block. We tried NCL last summer and loved it so much that we bought four of their Cruise Next certificates (and cancelled our placeholder on Disney). We have two NCL cruises booked in 2018 and 2019. I'm not ever going to sign off on Disney. We love it too much, but right now, our son is in college (college tuition :crazy2:), and for just my husband and I we prefer to sail in suites on NCL. We found the service to be every bit as good as Disney, and the food better. While we did miss the "Disney" aspect of the trip, we also appreciated the more adult atmosphere. If a great DCL deal / itinerary came along we'd definitely take a look, but I'm guessing we will probably wait for the new ships before we sail on DCL again. But then you never know! :-)

We took our first RCCL cruise over Thanksgiving and were not impressed at all. The food was truly so bad in the main dining room that after two nights we uncharged to the specialty restaurants. The service was also bad. One night we waited an hour between finishing our appetizers and receiving our main course. Also, too many people on board. The elevator would open and would be jam packed with people and there is no way you could get on. This happened all the time, especially around meal times. My daughter went and looked in the kids club and said no. We've sailed on Princess a couple of times and really liked the food. My daughter liked that the counselors in the kid's club really knew all of the kids, but she didn't like the small range of ages per kids group. (My kids are 4 years apart and Disney was the only line where they could be in the club together). Princess is definitely not as kid friendly with general activities, but for our Alaska cruise it was fine because we were off the boat everyday doing outdoor excursions. For our next two cruises we are back with Disney. If we try something else, it will be Azamara for a unique itinerary or we'd love to try a high end line like Regent or Crystal!

NCL has really pulled us back in as fans. After our sailing on the Breakaway in 2015, we are sailing on the Escape this year back to Bermuda. This after our abysmal sailing on the Pride of America in 2008 where we said we would never cruise on them again ;)

I so wanted to do DCL next year but went with the NCL Bliss Mexican Riviera. Not cheap but nowhere near the cost of DCL. I will check DCL prices when they come out but for an October 2017 7 day Mexican Riviera it's around $3900 for an inside. Besides, the NCL Bliss sails out of LA which I much prefer since I would like to do a few days at DLR.

You and me both. I have always wanted to do the Alaskan cruise but don't know how we can pull it. With the price of
that ONE cruise for our family we can do a lot with that money. I am also looking at NCL but still will keep an eye out
for DCL. I wish there were some VGT rates.
We did Alaska with Disney in September. We had an inside room. I know a lot of people will try to convince you that you have to have a verandah, but I totally disagree. We were fine with an inside. There's plenty of outdoor areas to view scenery, but how much time can you actually spend looking at trees and mountains. Just my 2 cents.

I so wanted to do DCL next year but went with the NCL Bliss Mexican Riviera. Not cheap but nowhere near the cost of DCL. I will check DCL prices when they come out but for an October 2017 7 day Mexican Riviera it's around $3900 for an inside. Besides, the NCL Bliss sails out of LA which I much prefer since I would like to do a few days at DLR.
I'm considering doing one these cruises next year. Keep an eye on prices NCL prices can drop as it gets closer.

While we love their ships, I would not suggest Princess or HAL with kids. Not sure what they offer for kids as we have never checked that out. We have had a great time on Carnival (Glory and Sunshine) and on NCL (Breakaway and soon on the Escape) and they seemed to have a lot to offer for kids activities and clubs. Have not done RCCL.
We went on a excursion in Alaska with a couple from Hal. They said they had not seen one kid on their ship. It might be OK for little kids that like being with their parents, but for tweens or teens I'd say no way.

We went on a excursion in Alaska with a couple from Hal. They said they had not seen one kid on their ship. It might be OK for little kids that like being with their parents, but for tweens or teens I'd say no way.
We went with HAL to Alaska When our oldest was one year old. It was horrible as they are not used to children on Holland America line... they Just don’t get children or the logistics of traveling with children like Disney does.Trying to find food or getting it brought to the table in an expedient way was very difficult, and one night the mac & cheese they brought my 1year old was comprised of noodles with nacho sauce on top of it. Never again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter