If It Sinks, We Drinks: Spring 2018 Dining Report *Complete 7/29 Les Halles & Via Napoli

I didn’t get a photo of Asher’s plate, but he mostly ate a chicken drumstick, some cheese, and some fruit. I am so glad we did this when his meal was free because if we had paid between $26-30 for him to eat that, I might have died.

I really think Disney should come up with a tiered pricing for kids on buffets, like their age x a certain price!

We did Cape May with my kids and neither ate much. Thankfully we were on the dining plan but commented how we wouldn't want to pay for them to eat nothing. It's weird because my kids LOVE shrimp so I think they just weren't up for it that night.

Love a snacky lunch around Epcot. How fun you were able to find a dish that reminded you of childhood. I love how food is such a part of memories. Hurrah for a nap!! Sometimes we all need them. Love your outfit for dinner -- you look super cute! I'm lucky enough to have Beach Club be my home DVC resort and in a multitude of visits, I've never made it to Cape May. It doesn't sound like it will be moving up on my to-do list as I'm not a shellfish fan and the chaos would make me crazy. Maybe breakfast - that looks cute with the characters in their beach-wear. Loving your report. Look forward to more! popcorn::

Sorry I'm late but, finally here!

Okay, so we finally get ourselves out the door and on the way to Epcot, which was just a 5-7 minute walk from our room, depending on our pace, and it was AWESOME to get to the IG that quickly.
LOVE this about BC. We've stayed at all the Epcot resorts and that's seriously the best perk; I also love the walk back at night, around the BW, after Illuminations. So peaceful and perfect! We haven't stayed there since Nov. 2016 except for one night last August so I should probably look at getting back there soon :)

so we headed over to Mexico for some QS which has become our first evening tradition.
Just about your fave QS in Epcot.

La Vie en Rose Frozen Slushy: Grey Goose Orange, St. Germain Liqueur, White and Red Cranberry Juice – $10.75
I really liked this last year, but this year not as much. I really prefer the Grey Goose Slush; for some reason the La Vie en Rose I had in March wasn't as good as last years. But it's pretty lol

Asher proceeded to act like a jerk the entire time and of course there was another bathroom battle.
:rotfl2:I"m sorry, I just find this funny because it's something I would totally write about my kids. Sorry though!

On to the food…I didn’t take any photos of the buffet area because it was a complete MADHOUSE. If this restaurant gets a renovation soon, I seriously hope they consider remodeling the buffet area because it is impossible. There are no lines and there’s not enough room to stand and wait for someone to move if you need to access a dish. Even though there is no organization system, if you slip in to get what you want, you will inevitably get dirty looks or huffs from those on either side who think you’re breaking some sort of rule- IT’S A FREE FOR ALL, THERE ARE NO RULES!!! It’s also loud, like cacophony loud. And everyone is running around looking confused carrying multiple plates stacked high with crab legs and peel-n-eat shrimp. This is not a relaxing dining experience. I knew that going in and I took one for the team so Chad could stuff himself with shellfish. It’s a good thing the food is good, because the experience is a bit of a nightmare to me.
WOW! Well I'm glad you enjoyed the food! We've eaten here 3x including March (haven't gotten that far in my current dining report yet). All 3x we've had really good experiences, very good food and service, and I haven't felt this way about the buffet area! Although I can see how one would. I will say, last week we ate at two other popular buffet restaurants and did not enjoy them at all, so Cape May dinner still stands out as one of the better ones.

Looking forward to more :goodvibes

Loving all your F&G snacks. I'm a sucker for fried cauliflower too so that would totally be up my alley.

Glad to hear Cape May hit Chad's proverbial seafood spot. I'm not sure I could have handled the atmosphere, but its good to know the seafood was all good. With buffets one never knows.

Very nice photos of you, Hettie! You look just like a model with your long, slender legs. :)

Cape May Cafe was a favorite of ours for years, but the last time we went, the crab legs were tiny and over cooked. Worse it was “seafood” chowder, not clam. The clam chowder there with some oyster crackers was one of my favorite things. If they are back to serving it, that is a good thing. :)

Great review so far! I just finished your previous report so it's fun to roll right into the next one. I love the Epcot resort area hotels. I love being able to walk to both IG and HS, and having the options all along the Boardwalk. I hope it turns out you enjoy it too!

The location just can't be beat, I always feel like I never spend enough time at Epcot (my favorite park) and this time we could pop over there for a few minutes every day if we wanted.

I really think Disney should come up with a tiered pricing for kids on buffets, like their age x a certain price!

That's a briliant idea! I wish they would do that, it would probably benefit them more than they know because parents with small children might avoid AYCTE places because of the kids pricing.

We did Cape May with my kids and neither ate much. Thankfully we were on the dining plan but commented how we wouldn't want to pay for them to eat nothing. It's weird because my kids LOVE shrimp so I think they just weren't up for it that night.

Asher loves fish, but there was always a cluster in front of the salmon dish so I just gave up and got him some chicken instead. He is also a weird child who doesn't like mac & cheese, so the other kids dishes weren't appealing to him. He did love his tiny cupcake though.

Love a snacky lunch around Epcot. How fun you were able to find a dish that reminded you of childhood. I love how food is such a part of memories. Hurrah for a nap!! Sometimes we all need them. Love your outfit for dinner -- you look super cute! I'm lucky enough to have Beach Club be my home DVC resort and in a multitude of visits, I've never made it to Cape May. It doesn't sound like it will be moving up on my to-do list as I'm not a shellfish fan and the chaos would make me crazy. Maybe breakfast - that looks cute with the characters in their beach-wear. Loving your report. Look forward to more! popcorn::

Thanks! I have a review of breakfast at Cape May and it was more chill and less overwhelming for me. That's awesome to have BCV as a home resort. I've considered buying some points there, but for now we will stay when I can get it at 7 months. I had a waitlist for a couple of days of this last stay and they came through quickly, I was happy about that.

Sorry I'm late but, finally here!

WOW! Well I'm glad you enjoyed the food! We've eaten here 3x including March (haven't gotten that far in my current dining report yet). All 3x we've had really good experiences, very good food and service, and I haven't felt this way about the buffet area! Although I can see how one would. I will say, last week we ate at two other popular buffet restaurants and did not enjoy them at all, so Cape May dinner still stands out as one of the better ones.

Looking forward to more :goodvibes

Hi! Thanks for joining in! I think we may have chosen a very busy night to visit Cape May, it was a Wednesday and they had both fried shrimp and clams, which I think are appealing dishes to many (they are to me!). I have a breakfast review coming up for the same spot and it was not nearly as chaotic. I also sometimes get on a roll and make mundane situations overly dramatic, I'm like the Jerry Seinfeld of dining reporters.;)

Loving all your F&G snacks. I'm a sucker for fried cauliflower too so that would totally be up my alley.

Glad to hear Cape May hit Chad's proverbial seafood spot. I'm not sure I could have handled the atmosphere, but its good to know the seafood was all good. With buffets one never knows.

I hope they keep the fried cauliflower on the menu for next year, it was really great and a good value. I'm pretty buffet-ed out after this trip and since Asher is officially 3, we will be skipping those for awhile, unless it's Boma. I love Boma.

Very nice photos of you, Hettie! You look just like a model with your long, slender legs. :)

Cape May Cafe was a favorite of ours for years, but the last time we went, the crab legs were tiny and over cooked. Worse it was “seafood” chowder, not clam. The clam chowder there with some oyster crackers was one of my favorite things. If they are back to serving it, that is a good thing. :)

Aw, thanks! I'm not usually into photos of myself or posting them anywhere, but it's rare that I make an effort with my appearance on vacation and felt it should be documented for posterity! :rotfl:We thought the crab legs were a nice size this time and they were cooked perfectly. The clam chowder was definitely full of just clams, tons of them! It was excellent, we were very impressed.

Empanadas de Barbacoa
Empanadas filled with Barbacoa Beef, topped with Chipotle Sauce, Crema Mexicana and Queso Fresco and served with a side of Corn Esquites – $9.75
Guacamole

topped with Mango and Pumpkin Seeds and served with Fried Flour Chicharrón, Salsa Valentina and Lime – $7.95
Looks amazing!

And perhaps most important, the margaritas…
I will definitely be going for one of those! I tried the cucumber/lime last summer and really enjoyed it. Thant grapefruit one looks right up my alley too!

I love doing PPO breakfasts in order to walk through empty parks. Without the sensory blocks from the crowds, you can notice all the small details, hear the area music clearly, and take it all in. I love seeing the landscape CMs finishing up their morning work, it’s such a peaceful way to see the parks.
Isn't that the best? I really enjoyed strolling through an almost empty Epcot before my PPO breakfast at GG back in 2016.

The characters started coming by right away, we got to see Chip, Dale, and Mickey before we even had any food, which I liked because then we could focus on eating a bit more. I love how you can place your child in the booth so that their back is to the direction the characters approach from, which keeps them more focused on food, less anxious and impatient, and pleasantly surprised when they do show up. The interaction was great and the biggest hit of the morning was Pluto. He snuck around the corner and stuck his nose right in Asher’s face which kept him giggling the whole time Pluto was there giving plenty of hugs.
This is the cutest picture ever!

Overall, we loved this breakfast. The food was tasty and fresh, the characters were fantastic, and the atmosphere was more relaxing than a typical character meal. I was a little surprised that Asher even loved seeing the scenes from Living with the Land as we rotated by, I thought that might be a little over his head, but he enjoyed it and was excited to go on the ride when we left.
I loved this breakfast too but the servings are HUGE! I couldn't really make much of a dent in it either.

Fried Cauliflower with Capers, Garlic Parsley and Chili Ranch Sauce – $5
I wonder if they have this at Tangerine Cafe as well?

We got ready and walked around checking everything out for awhile before our dinner check-in time. This was the one evening I bothered to put on makeup and cute shoes, so we had some photo shoots to document because I was fairly certain it would be the only time.
You look great!

On to the food…I didn’t take any photos of the buffet area because it was a complete MADHOUSE. If this restaurant gets a renovation soon, I seriously hope they consider remodeling the buffet area because it is impossible. There are no lines and there’s not enough room to stand and wait for someone to move if you need to access a dish. Even though there is no organization system, if you slip in to get what you want, you will inevitably get dirty looks or huffs from those on either side who think you’re breaking some sort of rule- IT’S A FREE FOR ALL, THERE ARE NO RULES!!! It’s also loud, like cacophony loud. And everyone is running around looking confused carrying multiple plates stacked high with crab legs and peel-n-eat shrimp. This is not a relaxing dining experience. I knew that going in and I took one for the team so Chad could stuff himself with shellfish. It’s a good thing the food is good, because the experience is a bit of a nightmare to me.
This is the exact reason we have never eaten there. While I know my boys would go crazy for the seafood, the overall chaotic atmosphere would completely ruin it for my DH. Even when we stayed at BC in 2015, he hated the lobby with all the business of the Cape May crowd.

Looking forward to reading more!

[QUOTE="Hettie, post: 59178486, member: 27561"
Spring 2018 Dining Report
Asher is SO cute. He looks so old in your first picture, like 5 or 6. Then a little guy in the checkers playing picture, which is just adorable.

" I thought about titling this report “I’m sorry we’re fighting in the bathroom” because that’s what Asher always says"
That is so sweet! What a wonderful thing that he apologizes to you. You must raising him to be a thoughtful, considerate boy.
That will be a wonderful memory when the tween and teen years come.

It is also so cute that he immediately turned your balcony into a pirate ship.

Day 3 – April 26
Just the American parts
This morning we planned to rope drop MK, so we got ready quickly and the boys ate some of the food we brought for breakfast. I had brought some of my homemade, super healthy, gluten-free, pumpkin Greek yogurt muffins. That’s a mouthful but they are a great quick breakfast for Asher and ensure that he gets some protein, fiber, healthy fats, and even a bit of vegetables from the pumpkin in the mornings. He doesn’t eat as well in restaurants at WDW as he does at home, too much excitement.

We decided to take the bus this morning, even though we’re not huge fans of navigating the buses with a stroller. It turned out well though, a bus pulled up just a minute or two after we got to the bus stop. We made it into MK right at 9:00 am and decided to spend the morning in Adventureland since Asher has been so pirate-obsessed. It was a good idea because it was empty in that land and we enjoyed letting Asher explore without fighting crowds.

002.JPG
We only did the tree house (well, I put moleskin on my shoes while they did the treehouse because the cute shoes from the night before had caused blisters:headache:) and POTC (of course), then spent awhile in the shop. Asher had a gift card he had gotten for his birthday and Chad distracted him by helping him purchase a telescope while I stealthily collected a couple of birthday gifts from us to have sent back to the resort.

He was thrilled with this telescope though and it kept him occupied all morning:

IMG_3936.JPG

After that we just piddled around in Frontierland, watched the Muppets in Liberty Square (LOVE), looked in some shops, and caught part of the Move it! Shake it! parade in front of the castle.

IMG_3943.JPG

It was a super relaxing morning and we enjoyed not rushing around to attractions. I was very glad that our lunch ADR was approaching though, because I was starving having not eaten anything for breakfast myself.

We checked in for our 11:40 ADR at Liberty Tree Tavern and they called our names almost immediately but I couldn’t find Chad and Asher anywhere. I assumed there had been some sort of emergency bathroom trip and was correct as Asher had put his hands in some unidentifiable liquid on a bench and Chad rushed him off to go scrub up. After they returned, we were seated in the first room to the right of the lobby. The restaurant was still relatively quiet since the lunch rush had not hit yet, it was nice.

We ordered drinks, beer for Chad:

IMG_3945.JPG
Samuel Adams Boston Lager (16-oz Draft) -- $8.25

Sparkly for me:

IMG_3948.JPG
Iron Horse 'Fairy Tale Celebration Cuvée' Brut, Sonoma
Dry, ripe apples and citrus with a toasty finish -- Glass $16.00

I like this sparkling wine and like to have a glass once a trip, the MK restaurants that serve it are good places to enjoy it.

Asher enjoyed his own pre-lunch refreshment:

IMG_3950.JPG

He is so weird. He will eat both lemons and limes that way. I think it’s genetic, my first cousin was the same way as a kid.

I really wanted a salad, but I didn’t want a giant salad because I wanted to also eat some of the kid’s pot roast that I planned to share with Asher. I discussed this with the server and was told they don’t offer a side salad, she instead suggested I share the Colony Salad with Chad as an appetizer and he agreed that was a good idea. They even divided it for us in the kitchen, which is something I love about Disney restaurants. Our server was excellent all around, very efficient and helpful.

IMG_3952.JPG
Colony Salad
Grilled Chicken, Washington Apples, Sweet Pecans, Applewood-smoked Cheddar, and Dried Cranberries tossed with Field Greens in a Honey-Shallot Vinaigrette -- $16.00

Half of the salad was still a very nice portion, Chad did give me some more of the chicken though since he also ordered fish and chips. We both were very impressed by this salad, we really loved it and didn’t expect it to be so delicious. The description makes it sound like a sweet salad, but the ingredients go very well together and the dressing has more of a smoky flavor than sweet, so it didn’t have an overly sweet flavor profile. I was also pleased to see some spring mix in the bowl and not just iceberg alone.

Asher had his own appetizer:

IMG_3953.JPG
Sliced Apples -- $3.00

This was a large bowl of apple slices that he gorged himself on until there were just a few left, then he pushed the bowl away and announced, “No more apple slices,” in a defeated voice.

He still managed to eat some of the entrée that we shared:

IMG_3955.JPG
New England Pot Roast
served with Mashed Potatoes and Seasonal Vegetables -- $11.00

I subbed fries for mashed potatoes because Asher doesn’t like mashed potatoes. When these showed up I wished I had subbed for the green beans instead. I forgot about the squeaky, green bean-y green beans! @Lisa F ,you know what I'm talking about! What a major fail. Those green beans are not to my liking. Oh well, the pot roast was delicious, very tender and flavorful. I also liked the steak fries and they were perfect for dipping in the gravy from the pot roast.

They also divided up Chad’s entrée for us to share, much to Chad’s dismay (the server said we got more fries that way though):

IMG_3956.JPG
Tavern Battered Fish and Chips
served with House-made Tartar Sauce and Lemon -- $19.00

No need for Chad to worry, I only ate about a third of the piece of fish and gave him the rest since I just wanted a taste. There were plenty of fries around for everyone. These are some good fish and chips, the batter was light and crispy. The dill tartar sauce was perfect, I usually choose malt vinegar with fish & chips, but I didn’t even notice it on the table because I was so busy enjoying the tartar sauce. I also ate the cole slaw, which was a vinegar slaw rather than creamy. It was refreshing and further helped with my salad cravings.

Big wins on all the entrees, I can’t believe this was our first time dining here. The food had always seemed too heavy in the heat and we shied away, now I regret missing out all these years, kinda mad about it.

(at photo limit, continued in next post)

Last edited:
Even though we were pretty full, you know we couldn’t resist dessert:

IMG_3957.JPG
Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake
Vanilla Cake with a Gooey Toffee Filling, Caramel Sauce, and Vanilla Ice Cream -- $8.00

This was just as delicious as I imagined. Chad, who can’t eat much dairy, said he was just going to have a taste. Yeah, right. He ate half. I was a little surprised that there were chocolate chips in this, I wouldn’t have guessed that from the description.

The kid’s pot roast meal came with a sundae, the server smartly asked me what to put on it:

IMG_3958.JPG

Just sprinkles, plenty of them, he was in ice cream heaven.

025.JPG

We gently cut him off after several bites, he didn’t resist as he was already stuffed too.

It was a great lunch all around. I’m glad our ADR was on the early side, because the restaurant filled up and was much louder by the time we left. I can cope with the noise much better if I get settled while a restaurant is quiet and the madness builds slowly around me. LOL! We somehow rolled our stuffed selves out of the park and out to the bus stop, thankfully a bus showed up right away because nap time was encroaching.

Day 3 to be continued…

We somehow rolled our stuffed selves out of the park and out to the bus stop, thankfully a bus showed up right away because nap time was encroaching.
So smart to eat and then leave. I have never thought to time it that way :confused3. If I'm planning to leave I assume I'll eat back at the resort. I like this approach :) And I'm your review of LTT makes it sound delightful. It will be our first time there too on our next trip, and I cannot wait to finally taste that Toffee cake!!!

This is the exact reason we have never eaten there. While I know my boys would go crazy for the seafood, the overall chaotic atmosphere would completely ruin it for my DH. Even when we stayed at BC in 2015, he hated the lobby with all the business of the Cape May crowd.

Looking forward to reading more!

Chad wasn't a fan of the lobby either, we found ourselves avoiding it when possible.

Thanks for following along!

Asher is SO cute. He looks so old in your first picture, like 5 or 6. Then a little guy in the checkers playing picture, which is just adorable.​

" I thought about titling this report “I’m sorry we’re fighting in the bathroom” because that’s what Asher always says"
That is so sweet! What a wonderful thing that he apologizes to you. You must raising him to be a thoughtful, considerate boy.
That will be a wonderful memory when the tween and teen years come.

It is also so cute that he immediately turned your balcony into a pirate ship.

He seems older sometimes, he's on the advanced side socially and emotionally, but that doesn't always connect with his 3 year old reasoning skills and we run into problems. :scared:He is a very sweet little boy though, we adore him. Thanks for following along!

What a relaxing day in MK. I love it when the crowds aren't too crazy and you can really take your time and enjoy the small things.

So happy to hear you all enjoyed your meal at Liberty Tree. Its a go to for us on just about every trip. I love the salad too and you described it perfectly. And of course the ooey gooey cake is a thing of wonder. I'll have to try and remember the kids pot roast as an option too. I've always wanted to try it, just didn't want a full size entree.

I love LTT! The pot roast is divine and I think the ooey gooey toffee cake is one of the best desserts on property. I can't wait to go back there!

Glad you enjoyed LTT lunch! We do too, although we haven't gone with the boys in years. Steve and I did lunch there last year and I'm planning on it for August, when I order the Colony Salad I don't feel as guilty getting the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake :rolleyes1

I love that you could just go at your son's pace in an empty MK early. :) It's those unexpected unrushed moments you remember.
Your lunch sounds so good! I have never eaten at LTT but I'm thinking I will try and get a ressie on our next trip. Somehow I thought it was a full Thanksgiving meal always??? I didn't know there were other options! The fish and chips looked great too! And wine! Who knew??? Clearly I am not keeping up...

There are so many good things at LTT for lunch! The pot roast, the chicken salad, the burger, the pasta dish. I don't think I've ever had a bad meal there. I wish they still had the deep-fried cheese appetizer that had the curds.

So smart to eat and then leave. I have never thought to time it that way :confused3. If I'm planning to leave I assume I'll eat back at the resort. I like this approach :) And I'm your review of LTT makes it sound delightful. It will be our first time there too on our next trip, and I cannot wait to finally taste that Toffee cake!!!

We usually eat before leaving for nap time, unless there is somewhere we specifically want to eat back at our resort, like Kona when we stayed at Poly. I prefer the atmosphere of resort restaurants for lunch, but we're usually pretty hungry at lunch time and don't want to deal with hangriness while trying to get back to a resort. I haven't been a big fan of MK dining options in the past, but LTT and Skipper Canteen have turned me around.

What a relaxing day in MK. I love it when the crowds aren't too crazy and you can really take your time and enjoy the small things.

So happy to hear you all enjoyed your meal at Liberty Tree. Its a go to for us on just about every trip. I love the salad too and you described it perfectly. And of course the ooey gooey cake is a thing of wonder. I'll have to try and remember the kids pot roast as an option too. I've always wanted to try it, just didn't want a full size entree.

The kid's pot roast was still a pretty big portion, but not so huge that there wouldn't be room for dessert. I would have been totally happy with it as my own entree.

I love LTT! The pot roast is divine and I think the ooey gooey toffee cake is one of the best desserts on property. I can't wait to go back there!

We love it now too, our new favorite spot in MK and one of our recent top dining experiences.

Glad you enjoyed LTT lunch! We do too, although we haven't gone with the boys in years. Steve and I did lunch there last year and I'm planning on it for August, when I order the Colony Salad I don't feel as guilty getting the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake :rolleyes1

The Colony Salad definitely felt nice and healthy, while still being delicious. If I could have laid off the fries, I wouldn't have been so stuffed.

I love that you could just go at your son's pace in an empty MK early. :) It's those unexpected unrushed moments you remember.
Your lunch sounds so good! I have never eaten at LTT but I'm thinking I will try and get a ressie on our next trip. Somehow I thought it was a full Thanksgiving meal always??? I didn't know there were other options! The fish and chips looked great too! And wine! Who knew??? Clearly I am not keeping up...

At dinner LTT only has the family-style AYCTE option, so make sure to go for lunch to try the foods we had, the a la carte menu is only available then. You can get the platter at lunch too if anyone in your party is interested.

There are so many good things at LTT for lunch! The pot roast, the chicken salad, the burger, the pasta dish. I don't think I've ever had a bad meal there. I wish they still had the deep-fried cheese appetizer that had the curds.

I wish they had the cheese appetizer too, sounds great. I almost tried the "crab, artichoke, and spinach dip", but it's served with bread and I didn't want to eat a pile of bread.

but LTT and Skipper Canteen have turned me around.
This is really good to know, as I have not been impressed with MK food options either (sad that BOG has gone so down hill-lunch used to be great)!
But I have yet to try the above too (they are booked for august) and that gives me hope ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter