If I'm not booking 11-months out, shouldn't I just buy the cheapest points avaialble for resale?

PurpleJesus

Earning My Ears
In other words, I doubt they'll ever be a time we have a trip planned out 11 months in advance. So, the home resort benefit would be perpetually lost on us.

So, if that's the case - doesn't it make sense to just buy the lowest priced points available on the resale market? Right now that appears to be OKW in the mid $80s per point.

Or, am I missing something in the weeds of DVC knowledge that you lovely folks can drop some knowledge on?

Oh - one last bit - we're a family of four. We would want to book 2-bedroom villas, we'd prefer BLT, but aren't picky. I guess question #2 is "How hard is it to book 2-bedroom villas at the 7-month window at other resorts?"

When do you typically go and for how long? There will be times at 7 months it’s tough to get a week long stay at a single resort. You can piece something together but may have to jump around.

Unless you are traveling during a slow DVC time (mid January to mid September, minus a few holiday and run disney weekends), you will be very frustrated as a DVC owner attempting to book at 7 months or less, especially if you want BLT, GFV, and BCV.

When do you typically go and for how long? There will be times at 7 months it’s tough to get a week long stay at a single resort. You can piece something together but may have to jump around.
We almost always go during August, September, November, or January. And, I generally only book for the "value" weeks of those months, and never go during the crazy holiday periods.

I hadn't thought about not being able to book an entire week at one resort. That actually is important to me b/c I hate unpacking/packing/unpacking/packing....drives me nuts. So, how difficult is it to get a full 6-night stay at a resort (other than your home resort) at the 7 month mark?

Don't suppose any of you current DVC owners would be willing to do a little test for me and see what 2-bedroom villas you could book right now for 7-months out? Like the first few weeks of October - is anything available right now for 6-nights w/ 2-beds? Thanks so much if you're willing to do that search for me!

You should factor in how long the contracts are at each resort. Some resorts expire in 2042, 2054, etc. It's something to consider. I also found out about this tool today. It shows dvc availability. I think it's updated twice a day, so not one hundred percent accurate minute to minute, but will give you a good general idea.

https://tools.dvcvacations.com/points-calculator

Ok, not sure why the link won't post....if you search for dvc availability tool, it come right up at the top of the search. Hope this helps.

We almost always go during August, September, November, or January. And, I generally only book for the "value" weeks of those months, and never go during the crazy holiday periods.

I hadn't thought about not being able to book an entire week at one resort. That actually is important to me b/c I hate unpacking/packing/unpacking/packing....drives me nuts. So, how difficult is it to get a full 6-night stay at a resort (other than your home resort) at the 7 month mark?

Don't suppose any of you current DVC owners would be willing to do a little test for me and see what 2-bedroom villas you could book right now for 7-months out? Like the first few weeks of October - is anything available right now for 6-nights w/ 2-beds? Thanks so much if you're willing to do that search for me!
I looked at 10/6 to 10/13 - remember - Oct is actually peak DVC time. (late sept - marathon weekend in early jan) and this is already in the 7 month window
Only 2BR available for the entire week is SSR and OKW.
If I look 10/12 to 10/19 - for all 7 nights it only adds AKV - Kidani, dedicated.

At the the later window, I started to see 3-6 nights in BCV (3), VGF (6), BLT (5) , BRV (3). The 7 month window for that stay opens in 2 days and will be competitive for any days.

In general, expect dedicated 2 BR only (lock-off availability will disappear with the studios). Additionally, your odds are decent to good in August, early Sept, and late Jan. Slim to none in late Sept, Nov, and early Jan. Unless you are staying in SSR/OKW.

Lock-off 2BR availability will follow studio in this thread. Dedicated is expected to be between studio and 1BR (closer to 1BR), based on the actual number of dedicated units available. (FYI BWV has 0 dedicated 2BR)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...-studios-1-bedrooms-june-2018-update.3689931/

I want to step this back three steps:

You won't be booking at 11 months. Okay. That does not necessarily negate a home resort priority. There are 4 full months between Opening Day and your 7 month window.

What would your typical time horizon be?
What season would you be traveling?

Because if the time horizon is >7 but <11, you still benefit from home resort points. And if season includes "fall," relying on 7 month windows for anything but OKW or Saratoga is going to be problematic, even for 2BRs. and for some of fall, even OKW and Saratoga may require waitlisting or category shifts.

Fall, even the 'Value' weeks on resort calendars, is known as Fall Frenzy for DVC. You really need to be planning more than 7 months out for October, November, December, and for times that overlap marathon or holidays in the early part of the year. This may not mean "11 months on the dot!!" but you also don't want to be trying to slide in at 7 with the Vero Beach, Aulani and HHI owners trying to get on-site.

If you want to travel late September or anytime in November, buy where you want to stay and book at the 11 month window. Or you will be very disappointed

Again depends if he is an a studio or 1 bed as to the disappointment in those periods.

You are correct in thinking if you don't anticipate making reservations more than 7 months in advance, then there's no sense in paying more than you have to for points. A secondary consideration would be the cost of annual member fees, or dues. And of course you need to be willing to happily stay wherever you can find availability since your favorite resort may not be available on "short" notice. But none of this works if you have a favorite resort or two that you like to stay at and would feel disappointed if you couldn't book there most of the time. That's why most folks pay the premium for the home resort booking advantage.

Another strategy you could try is to buy the lowest cost points you can find and simply get into the habit of booking a placeholder reservation at 11 months just to guarantee you'll have an accommodation. Then try and switch to something else as you get closer to the time you actually want to vacation. Good luck!

In other words, I doubt they'll ever be a time we have a trip planned out 11 months in advance. So, the home resort benefit would be perpetually lost on us.

So, if that's the case - doesn't it make sense to just buy the lowest priced points available on the resale market? Right now that appears to be OKW in the mid $80s per point.

Or, am I missing something in the weeds of DVC knowledge that you lovely folks can drop some knowledge on?

Oh - one last bit - we're a family of four. We would want to book 2-bedroom villas, we'd prefer BLT, but aren't picky. I guess question #2 is "How hard is it to book 2-bedroom villas at the 7-month window at other resorts?"

When looking for the "cheapest" points available, keep annual dues in your calculation. A lower upfront cost doesn't always equate to a lower total cost. As someone already mentioned, as long as you are able to book before the 7-month window opens, there is some value in the home resort benefit.

LAX

And certainly don't buy figuring "I will get a BWV Standard 2BR at 7 months!" because, you won't.

Sept, Nov and Jan can be very busy for DVC booking. There might be one week depending on if Thanksgiving is later or early for Nov at seven months out. January, you need to forget about the first half of the month plus MLK weekend. Now that F&W starts in Aug, Sept can also be tough. If you do decide to go with a less expensive resale, make sure you buy an onsite resort. Otherwise, you'll be spending all your initial savings on your annual fees.

Now if you said that early May was the time of the year you want to go, that might be one of the easier times to book at seven months out.

You will. That’s exactly what I’m doing in August. Saratoga owner: staying at your resort.....for less!

I own Saratoga.

And getting a BWV Standard 2BR most of the year is luck, not something to plan purchase with.

There are a couple guides lately still whipping out BWV Standard and AKV Value point charts while pushing Aulani and CCV direct. And that is sooooo misleading.

Forget the "value" weeks - popular DVC booking periods are not like regular Disney hotel rooms and low point periods are very popular. November - probably difficult to get something like BLT. August and September? Fairly likely to book BLT or other locations for 2BR's as January can be too. But when booking at 7 months at least be prepared for there to be 2BR's only at SSR during the busy times (Late Sept-Jan 1st or 2nd OKW and Kidnia are the next most likely. And except in the busiest of times you might find 2BR's at a more point intensive location like VGF fairly easily. DVC owners like a bargain. :)

You may find that once you started booking then if you can't get the locations you most prefer that you can book further out than 7 months. I'd at least consider locations that I'd be ok staying at and try and book earlier. Also, the OKW contracts you are looking at have a 2042 expiration. SSR has lower annual dues which you'll end up paying more for over the course of a contract and has a 2054 expiration date.

Going in with the thought of only booking 7 months or less you need to be flexible with not getting what you want, flexible with dates and flexible with resorts. There are times of the year you'd have many options. And other times you will not. Is that ok with you?

I own Saratoga.

And getting a BWV Standard 2BR most of the year is luck, not something to plan purchase with.

There are a couple guides lately still whipping out BWV Standard and AKV Value point charts while pushing Aulani and CCV direct. And that is sooooo misleading.

I’ve rented points in the past and wondered why I never could get the AKV values. As an AKV owner now... I know the truth...

You will. That’s exactly what I’m doing in August. Saratoga owner: staying at your resort.....for less!

You *might*. Not *will*.

I’ve gotten GFV studios fairly last minute over times like Christmas Eve and day, and at Princess.

Doesn’t mean I should expect that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter