Iceland Wrap-up

BluesTraveler

DIS Veteran
We are at the airport waiting to leave, and thought I would do a quick wrap up from our perspective. There have been several good trip reports already so I won't do one, just some more general thoughts. For those that don't "know" me, we were a family of 4, me, DH, and our 2 boys ages 10 and 13.

Pros
- Iceland is amazing. The country is gorgeous, the people are the nicest we've met anywhere, and there's so much to do. Which leads me to:
- the ABD itinerary is excellent. Very active, and we really felt like we had seen and done true Iceland. At the ends the guides told us this itinerary has the most travel time of any ABD, and I was stunned to hear it. All of the travel was brilliantly broken up with activities. ABD will need to make some tweaks, in particular there is one very long day that needs to be shortened, but out of the gate they've done a great job. I do bet next year will be even better.
- Because of all the activities and the meals, this trip felt like a pretty good value, despite being so expensive.
- The activities themselves are very active, which we loved. Some, like the glacier hike, are genuinely challenging, and we like that.
- Oh the food! We ate so much seafood and lamb that I am pretty sure I couldn't get my jeans on now if I tried. We truly did not have a bad meal here, and had a lot of outstanding meals. I do think it would be a smitten tough if you don't like seafood or for kids that are picky eaters. Our kids love seafood of all kinds so this was not a problem for us.
- Our guides were great. The local guide, Júlli, was particularly outstanding.

Cons
My only complaint - but it's a BIG ONE - for this whole trip was the group size. We were at 37, and it was too much. We never learned everyone's names, and there was zero "family" feel to it. Everything took forever - bathroom breaks, getting on dry suits, meals, etc. We often felt like herded cattle. There's nothing exclusive about trip in terms of what ABD does, and there's nothing luxurious about Iceland in general, so the best/only way for ABD to make it feel like high end travel would be to make it a small group. 25-28 people would be ideal for this trip. Based on group size alone, I wouldn't recommend this trip.

Be Aware (neutral notes)
- The hotels are pretty basic. Comfortable and clean, but not remotely luxurious. If you come during the summer when there is very little night, the blackout shades are not great. ABD gave out sleep masks, and I do have a comfortable one I travel with. The hotels were also a little bit noisy, so I slept with earplugs.
- You have to be prepared for the weather. We lucked out most days, but activities are definitely rain or shine. Pack waterproof hiking shoes, dri-fit layers, and a daypack to bring an assortment of outer wear each day. We got tons of use out of our rain pants.
- Be prepared for DOING not just SEEING. If you are not comfortable hiking, getting wet, and otherwise being active, this might not be be the right trip for you.
- This trip does not seem to attract families. There were only a few in our group, and wow that's a different feel from our 2 earlier trips. It was much more a group of strangers sharing transportation. Depending on whether or not you are traveling with kids, that may appeal to you.
- Iceland is crazy expensive, especially for meals. But the quality is outstanding! Especially lamb and seafood.
- Credit cards are taken everywhere.

In summary, if you are an only-ABD person, and you like active trips, this should absolutely be on your list. We really loved it. If you are traveling with kids, and willing to look at non-ABD options, I do think you should research smaller, family-specific trips with other companies. It may be that ABD still has the best itinerary - I didn't do this so I don't know what else is out there - but would be worth comparing.

Happy to answer questions and hope this is not too duplicative with other posts.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for this. We are on our way next week and beginning to wish we had waited til next year for this particular ABD. It feels so odd to be working on “getting my mind right” about a trip that costs more than a small car!

We like to do as well as see, so that’s good, but with one in my family having an autoimmune illness, I’m a little worried that the super long day may break her. Did you feel that you were able to rest up a bit the next day, or did you never catch up on sleep after that and it was more just hold on to the end?

Also, I can’t eat seafood. Was there always at least something else, even if it wasn’t fabulous?

Finally, totally subjective question here but I’m really interested in your impressions- do you feel that the parts that were less than ideal were totally due to the challenges of touring in a non-tourist, non-service-culture, country like Iceland? Or more that they are reflective of less personalization and more cost cutting by ABD? Or somewhere in between?

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience!

Thanks, @BluesTraveler! Your report is *definitely* not too duplicative in my opinion! I think the points you make, along with your supporting information, is EXTREMELY useful. I hope I'm up to this trip. I'm getting to be an old fart, and as much as I love the outdoors, I've grown to like my comfort, too! I guess we'll just have to see! I'll just have to be really sure to be super rested in the days coming up to this trip!

Thanks so much for this. We are on our way next week and beginning to wish we had waited til next year for this particular ABD. It feels so odd to be working on “getting my mind right” about a trip that costs more than a small car!
Yes, I know how you feel! I felt this same way prior to my *China* trip! I really didn't think Iceland was going to be the same sort of trip. But China turned out to be *AMAZING*, so I'm keeping my fingers & toes crossed for this one.

Sayhello

Cons
My only complaint for this whole trip was the group size. We were at 37, and it was too much. We never learned everyone's names, and there was zero "family" feel to it. Everything took forever - bathroom breaks, getting on dry suits, meals, etc. We often felt like herded cattle. There's nothing exclusive about trip in terms of what ABD does, and there's nothing luxurious about Iceland in general, so the best/only way for ABD to make it feel like high end travel would be to make it a small group. 25-28 people would be ideal for this trip.
[...]
- This trip does not seem to attract families. There were only a few in our group, and wow that's a different feel from our 2 earlier trips. It was much more a group of strangers sharing transportation. Depending on whether or not you are traveling with kids, that may appeal to you.

I'm tempted to just ditto everything @sayhello said :) But I totally agree with her on this being *really* helpful. The long waits for multiple people to use the facilities/change is the kind of thing that would drive me crazy and was what really took of the rose-colored glasses I was wearing when it came to ABD on my ABD Baltics trip of 49. I also found that itinerary completely lacking in the special experiences that are one of the big draws to ABD for me. Since that trip, I have been much more careful in reading itineraries to looks for these type of experiences or things that would be really hard to do on your own.

Super interesting about the families! For a mid-summer trip that is really weird. So most of those #37 were couples? That would make the group feel even bigger as there are so many different "families" to get to know. Group of strangers sharing transportation sounds very un-ABD like.

I would love to go back to do a more in-depth tour of Iceland (I've spent 3 days there on DCL), but I was already leaning toward something like NatGeo for an active adventure or possibly even a private tour if my family doesn't want to hike. As their hiking trips are capped at 16 it sounds like a much better choice for me.

I saw your other post on the other "group size" thread, and I have to admit that reading this gave me pause as well when it comes to Japan next year. We are signed up for one of the July departures. After the 49 debacle of our ABD Baltics Add-on, I ended up cancelling our river cruise. We were booked on the DVC cruise, which was the very first river cruise ABD did, and I didn't want to risk a similar situation to the Baltics when they didn't have very good information on how all the excursions were going to work. We ended up transferring our deposit to Greece and I have absolutely no regrets. It was a great trip despite being on the larger size. I'd have to look back at my TR but I want to say mid-30s (it's in the TR sticky if you are interested). It wasn't my favorite ABD, but it was solid, and I thought a good experience for the $$$. The food, however, was exceptional. Exceptional. I thought I'd had fresh height of season produce before as I live in CA. I was wrong. Re the Japan ABD ... there are enough special things and the itinerary moves around enough for me to keep it for now, but I really hope I don't come to regret it. I don't want to count up the cost for our family of 4, but I'm sure it's the price of a nice BMW :eek:

We like to do as well as see, so that’s good, but with one in my family having an autoimmune illness, I’m a little worried that the super long day may break her. Did you feel that you were able to rest up a bit the next day, or did you never catch up on sleep after that and it was more just hold on to the end?

Definitely able to catch up on rest. The next morning after the long day was a little tough because we had to get up and fly to Akureryi. My family only got about 6 hours of sleep. However, that day in Akureryi is a great one - that's the whale watching/fishing day, and it ends relatively early (5ish)? With dinner on your own that night. We went out for lamb burgers (Hamburger Factory - great burgers and a ton of options) and were in bed by 8:30pm. The following morning we did not have to meet as a group until 9am. So yes, we absolutely caught up on rest.

do you feel that the parts that were less than ideal were totally due to the challenges of touring in a non-tourist, non-service-culture, country like Iceland?

I think there's just no luxury accommodation in Iceland yet. There is a big Marriott going up in Reykjavik, but otherwise the hotels are much more basic. I never felt at all like ABD was cost-cutting, and I do think we stayed at the best-available. Also, the hotels were spotless and the bedding was very comfortable, so once we got used to it, it definitely felt charming. And there's great water pressure and endless hot water, which makes up for a lot!

It feels so odd to be working on “getting my mind right” about a trip that costs more than a small car!
I understand what you mean, and I also felt apprehensive. When we arrived to cold and rainy weather after a fairly miserable/sleep deprived night, and checked in to what felt like a very, very basic hotel room, I honestly thought I had made a huge mistake booking this one. But after some good food and a good night's sleep, we were much better and we really did LOVE this trip. To be able to see so much of Iceland, and do so many activities with not a single thought about the logistics was amazing. Iceland is stunningly beautiful and I think Disney has nailed it on the activities, I really do. Just dress for the weather and you'll be up for anything.

Also, I can’t eat seafood. Was there always at least something else, even if it wasn’t fabulous?
Yes, there was always a meat option, vegetarian option, and seafood option. The meat options were great - frequently lamb - and several times one of my kids got the vegetarian option and liked it.

There are some great trip reports on Iceland--and so many photos! So I will just pass along a few thoughts tips on our trip. We (including our DD17 and DS24) were on the 4th Iceland trip, with Drew stepping in (replacing Alyssa, who left ABD as a guide to pursue a dream photography job) and Stefan remaining for a second trip. Stefan is from the northern part of Iceland, where it has been scientifically proven that everything is three times better there than in the south.

We arrived a day before, around 5 AM--met at that hour by a Disney rep and the driver--and after bfast there (and our first taste of very expensive dining in Iceland) we headed for the Blue Lagoon. We did not bring krona, but did get cash ($300 worth) at a bank close to the hotel in Reykjavik. We did not use it all--ended up spending what was left at the airport on the return. Credit cards are accepted everywhere--and given the cost of food and drink, they need to be!

The BL opens at 7--we got there at that time, went in and enjoyed our time there--great way to unwind after our 7 hour flight. There is an indoor lounge area on the second floor (near where you enter the lagoon area) with fold back lounge chairs that we used for a short break, and for anyone in need of a short nap that is the perfect spot. The package does come with the mud facial (everyone who enters gets that) plus the algae facial (you have to ask--your package includes). Lunch opens at 11:30--we opted to dress and enjoy a leisurely lunch before heading on the bus to the hotel (leaving at 1:30). As had been suggested we brought our BL flipflops with us--and did use at the other thermal pool later on the trip.

The hotel in Reykjavik is nicely situated--easy walk (5 to 10 minutes) to the main pedestrian street, a 20 minute walk to the church (looks like a rocket ship), and 10 min to HARPA, the beautiful concert hall on the waterfront. If you have down time tours are available of HARPA starting at 10 AM. The church has a view from its towers (at a cost), but a great overlook of the city. Walking the "Pond" area is also a great idea--and for the jet lagged trying to stay awake until evening, that is a good thing to do. I got Lonely Planet's pocketbook on Reykjavik (just saw one for sale at AAA)--was a great guide. Also on Saturdays--huge indoor flea market near HARPA. Since we found food pricey we found a grocery store within walking distance of the hotel and got bread, peanut butter, nuts, chips etc and make a nice picnic lunch of it on Day 1 of the trip (where we all meet up that evening for the first time). Also--we walked around the piers in the harbor, ending up on a huge grass hill that is part of an art exhibit--you'll see it from the hotel area looking out over the harbor. You walk to the top of the hill--and be sure to look inside the wooden cage on top! If time I would also suggest the Aurora Experience--great stories about the northern lights, the science of it and also a huge screen showing photos of the lights.

It rained on and off on our preday (I am glad we brought waterproof jackets, shoes)--but after that we had terrific weather. Our hiking boots came in handy on several of the days--for the glacier hike my shoes did not cover my ankles so the company conducting the tour provided better boots for my use (and anyone else's use that needed them). I wouldn't rush out to buy new boots if yours don't cover your ankles.

True, no porters at any of the hotels--Iceland is still adjusting to tourism. We saw several new hotels going up--great for summer, but I wonder what they will do in the winter with 2 hours of daylight and a likely drop in tourists? But I agree with posters who thought Disney should advise of this--it was no big deal for us, and the group as a whole pitched in to help the guides move luggage to and from the bus. But it should be noted in the trip itinerary. (Nothing Disney can do about this--it is an Iceland thing, so people need to roll with it!)

They tweaked the trip a bit from trip 3 to trip 4--instead of lunch on Day 3 at Skaftafell Visitor's Center we ate in Vic--a better stop time wise, and from all accounts better food/service. The other change made for our trip from the past 3: dinner on day 4 was on our own (in Akureyri), but included on Day 6. Mainly because the timing was better for people to explore the town and find dinner on day 4--got back too late for that on Day 6. I thought it was a good change. As for on your own--we prefer a few meals be on your own, and I know this has been the topic of discussion on the disboards. In my own discussions with guides on various trips, the on your own time is something guests want. I agree--I enjoy exploring as a family, and we have had wonderful experiences in restaurants or food carts etc. You could minimize the cost of OYO meals via snacking on the bus (lots of snacks available), taking an apple or other fruit from b'fast, going to the grocery store--or eating a hot dog from a stand (the sauces are something else--and noted as a must try in tour books!).

There is nothing more to add re scenery, the itinerary--it is as noted by others a beautiful country, and Disney did an excellent job getting us to the highlights (and also to many off-the-beaten-path moments). The bus rides were fine--I don't know how else you would do this trip--and the time on the buses was broken up with trivia games, music, and well-timed stops/restroom breaks.

Our group was supposed to be 38--the guides told me that one dropped last minute so it was 37. Things went pretty smoothly with respect to dividing the group on parts of the tour, getting people outfitted for the glacier hike, coordinating the horses, getting us into groups of 6 or 7 for each water raft. I view it as an opportunity to meet folks from all over--and we did--and it never seemed like herding cattle to me. IMHO, group travel is a personal choice thing--some prefer to do everything on their own (cheaper etc), and that is fine. Been there, done that. I have been on small groups--good, unless your group is largely one family or a traveling group of friends/family. We did a 25 to 30 group with Tauck and Tauck Bridges, with one guide--and in each instance that guide was pretty busy with no time for photos, or much personal attention. So for me, I like the 2 guide model that ABD uses--and I am of the age now where I would rather have details taken care of rather than doing everything on my own. (Do people remember when Disney did try cheaper tours, and also small group tours? I am not sure if the small group option is still available--but in the end, the product has to be what people want--actually want, not what they profess is the best way to go--and it has to succeed as a business model. Again, IMHO, I doubt you could do 15 people groups with two guides, and the itineraries as now offered-- without substantially raising the already high cost of these trips).

The beauty of the country, the great guides, the stories that were told by our native guide, the flow of the itinerary, the friendships made among the guests--it was one of our favorite ABD trips! Highly recommended!

There are some great trip reports on Iceland--and so many photos! So I will just pass along a few thoughts tips on our trip. We (including our DD17 and DS24) were on the 4th Iceland trip, with Drew stepping in (replacing Alyssa, who left ABD as a guide to pursue a dream photography job) and Stefan remaining for a second trip. Stefan is from the northern part of Iceland, where it has been scientifically proven that everything is three times better there than in the south.

We arrived a day before, around 5 AM--met at that hour by a Disney rep and the driver--and after bfast there (and our first taste of very expensive dining in Iceland) we headed for the Blue Lagoon. We did not bring krona, but did get cash ($300 worth) at a bank close to the hotel in Reykjavik. We did not use it all--ended up spending what was left at the airport on the return. Credit cards are accepted everywhere--and given the cost of food and drink, they need to be!

The BL opens at 7--we got there at that time, went in and enjoyed our time there--great way to unwind after our 7 hour flight. There is an indoor lounge area on the second floor (near where you enter the lagoon area) with fold back lounge chairs that we used for a short break, and for anyone in need of a short nap that is the perfect spot. The package does come with the mud facial (everyone who enters gets that) plus the algae facial (you have to ask--your package includes). Lunch opens at 11:30--we opted to dress and enjoy a leisurely lunch before heading on the bus to the hotel (leaving at 1:30). As had been suggested we brought our BL flipflops with us--and did use at the other thermal pool later on the trip.

The hotel in Reykjavik is nicely situated--easy walk (5 to 10 minutes) to the main pedestrian street, a 20 minute walk to the church (looks like a rocket ship), and 10 min to HARPA, the beautiful concert hall on the waterfront. If you have down time tours are available of HARPA starting at 10 AM. The church has a view from its towers (at a cost), but a great overlook of the city. Walking the "Pond" area is also a great idea--and for the jet lagged trying to stay awake until evening, that is a good thing to do. I got Lonely Planet's pocketbook on Reykjavik (just saw one for sale at AAA)--was a great guide. Also on Saturdays--huge indoor flea market near HARPA. Since we found food pricey we found a grocery store within walking distance of the hotel and got bread, peanut butter, nuts, chips etc and make a nice picnic lunch of it on Day 1 of the trip (where we all meet up that evening for the first time). Also--we walked around the piers in the harbor, ending up on a huge grass hill that is part of an art exhibit--you'll see it from the hotel area looking out over the harbor. You walk to the top of the hill--and be sure to look inside the wooden cage on top! If time I would also suggest the Aurora Experience--great stories about the northern lights, the science of it and also a huge screen showing photos of the lights.

It rained on and off on our preday (I am glad we brought waterproof jackets, shoes)--but after that we had terrific weather. Our hiking boots came in handy on several of the days--for the glacier hike my shoes did not cover my ankles so the company conducting the tour provided better boots for my use (and anyone else's use that needed them). I wouldn't rush out to buy new boots if yours don't cover your ankles.

True, no porters at any of the hotels--Iceland is still adjusting to tourism. We saw several new hotels going up--great for summer, but I wonder what they will do in the winter with 2 hours of daylight and a likely drop in tourists? But I agree with posters who thought Disney should advise of this--it was no big deal for us, and the group as a whole pitched in to help the guides move luggage to and from the bus. But it should be noted in the trip itinerary. (Nothing Disney can do about this--it is an Iceland thing, so people need to roll with it!)

They tweaked the trip a bit from trip 3 to trip 4--instead of lunch on Day 3 at Skaftafell Visitor's Center we ate in Vic--a better stop time wise, and from all accounts better food/service. The other change made for our trip from the past 3: dinner on day 4 was on our own (in Akureyri), but included on Day 6. Mainly because the timing was better for people to explore the town and find dinner on day 4--got back too late for that on Day 6. I thought it was a good change. As for on your own--we prefer a few meals be on your own, and I know this has been the topic of discussion on the disboards. In my own discussions with guides on various trips, the on your own time is something guests want. I agree--I enjoy exploring as a family, and we have had wonderful experiences in restaurants or food carts etc. You could minimize the cost of OYO meals via snacking on the bus (lots of snacks available), taking an apple or other fruit from b'fast, going to the grocery store--or eating a hot dog from a stand (the sauces are something else--and noted as a must try in tour books!).

There is nothing more to add re scenery, the itinerary--it is as noted by others a beautiful country, and Disney did an excellent job getting us to the highlights (and also to many off-the-beaten-path moments). The bus rides were fine--I don't know how else you would do this trip--and the time on the buses was broken up with trivia games, music, and well-timed stops/restroom breaks.

Our group was supposed to be 38--the guides told me that one dropped last minute so it was 37. Things went pretty smoothly with respect to dividing the group on parts of the tour, getting people outfitted for the glacier hike, coordinating the horses, getting us into groups of 6 or 7 for each water raft. I view it as an opportunity to meet folks from all over--and we did--and it never seemed like herding cattle to me. IMHO, group travel is a personal choice thing--some prefer to do everything on their own (cheaper etc), and that is fine. Been there, done that. I have been on small groups--good, unless your group is largely one family or a traveling group of friends/family. We did a 25 to 30 group with Tauck and Tauck Bridges, with one guide--and in each instance that guide was pretty busy with no time for photos, or much personal attention. So for me, I like the 2 guide model that ABD uses--and I am of the age now where I would rather have details taken care of rather than doing everything on my own. (Do people remember when Disney did try cheaper tours, and also small group tours? I am not sure if the small group option is still available--but in the end, the product has to be what people want--actually want, not what they profess is the best way to go--and it has to succeed as a business model. Again, IMHO, I doubt you could do 15 people groups with two guides, and the itineraries as now offered-- without substantially raising the already high cost of these trips).

The beauty of the country, the great guides, the stories that were told by our native guide, the flow of the itinerary, the friendships made among the guests--it was one of our favorite ABD trips! Highly recommended!
Thanks for the summary, @WeLoveABD! So exited for this trip! And for my pre-days in Reyjavik!

Sayhello

Thanks for the summary, @WeLoveABD! So exited for this trip! And for my pre-days in Reyjavik!

Sayhello
Plenty to do in Reykjavik-- maybe catch a performance at Harpa! Also for anyone wanting to cut back on cost of wine (also very expensive), alcohol is sold in state stores with limited store hours (10 to 5 I believe).

Rule of thumb, buy alcohol at duty free before leaving the airport. That's supposedly the cheapest. The departure duty free store is just before the luggage carousels.

Iceland was a 'dry' country until a number of years ago. it's not too easy to get alcohol.

I meant if you wish to bring a “bottle” back to your hotel to enjoy with your family. I hate to drink and walk....lol

I meant if you wish to bring a “bottle” back to your hotel to enjoy with your family. I hate to drink and walk....lol
Oh, I got that--just adding more info in case someone wants to stop for a drink while walking around (well, walk, sit...walk later!).

Down to final days of packing! Quick question - did the guides provide bottles of water all day on the bus? They always have on other trips, and I want to lug as little as possible but can see this being another thing to roll with - oh, in Iceland they don’t have bottled water! We stop at glacial pools and fill up!

Down to final days of packing! Quick question - did the guides provide bottles of water all day on the bus? They always have on other trips, and I want to lug as little as possible but can see this being another thing to roll with - oh, in Iceland they don’t have bottled water! We stop at glacial pools and fill up!
They gave us a reusable water bottle, I think on the first full day, and there were lots of opportunities to refill it. Icelandic water is DELICIOUS. Have a great trip!

They gave us a reusable water bottle, I think on the first full day, and there were lots of opportunities to refill it. Icelandic water is DELICIOUS. Have a great trip!

Hahaha, so we are lugging our own water bottles! Glad I asked! And thanks for the quick response

There is Icelandic bottled water also - Icelandic Glacial water. But I seem to remember it was pretty pricey. (It's in a fancy bottle with the top molded to look like glaciers). When I went to Iceland in 2015, I didn't know the water was so wonderful. All I'd heard about was it could be sulfury. (The HOT water is sulfury. It's natural geothermal water. Just don't mix the hot water with the cold water (warm tap water) and you'll be fine. The COLD water *is* amazing.) Anyways, I went to the local Bonus grocery store, bought some provisions (like Skyr!!) and a bunch of bottled water. The cashier was very offended that I bought so much bottled water and told me in no uncertain terms that the cold water there was delicious and wonderful to drink.

I just hope they carry some extra reusable water bottles, because I've been known to lose one or two on a fairly regular basis...

Sayhello

Last edited:
Yes, Icelanders in general find pre-bottled water offensive. When you really can fill your bottle straight from 99% of the streams and rivers, filling from the tap is a no brainer.

I don’t think all the hot water smells, either. I’ve not noticed it on any of my trips, so I suspect that’s an issue related to the exact hot water source a location is using.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter