I WONDER how we should celebrate DS' 11th birthday? - Feb 9, 2017

JonnaP

Mouseketeer
Hi! So as it turns out, my family consists of 3 Disney addicts (Me, my husband & my son), 1 grumpy old Greek "Pop" (my father-in-law) and my parents who put up with all of our shenanigans.

My son, my husband and me.. along with some mouse in a chef hat who totally photobombed us!
full

(Chef Mickey's - 2016)

I've visited Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland with my parents as a kid, but after taking our first Disney World trip as a family (including the father-in-law, parents, our friends with a son the same age as ours and their parents!) during Spring Break of 2015, we were literally hooked.

A few weeks after returning from that trip, I was online booking our Spring Break 2016 trip to Disney World! So it's only natural that eventually a cruise was going to happen.. it was inevitable, however I didn't think that our first Disney cruise would come about the way it did.

One day my son and I are driving to school and the following conversation takes place:
Me: So, have you thought about what you want to do for your birthday next year?
Him: Yep, go to Disney.
Me: Haha, yeah.. I wish.
Him: Well, why not?
Me: Well, I don't know....
Him: Wait, what if we take a DISNEY CRUISE!
Me: Yeah that's probably not going to happen.....

2 weeks later, we are booking our Disney Cruise on the Wonder on his birthday...

So here's the happenings so far:

CRUISE: Disney Wonder (Destination: Castaway Cay)
WHEN: February 9 - 12 (DS' birthday is the 9th!)
WHY: Why Not!
HOW: So with this being my first time booking a Disney Cruise (I'm savvy at doing our WDW vacations and booking any other cruises) I decided to enlist the help of Sherri from Small World Vacations in hopes that she could make sure I booked the type of room we wanted and make sure I didn't miss anything. Although she's been super helpful and friendly and we received an onboard credit for booking through them, I think next time I'll just book through the Disney Cruise webpage myself. I tend to be somewhat a control freak over my vacation plans and now that I see that 1)they book exactly the same way I would have and 2)I could have called and a CM could have answered all of the same questions I had, I think that's the route I'll go next time.

Myself, my husband and kiddo will be staying in 7506 (ocean view) and my parents will be staying in the adjoining room 7504 (ocean view). My Father-In-Law is staying in room 7507 (inside stateroom) which is directly across the hall from us. I'm so excited as I've read the reviews about the stateroom and I think it's a really good choice for us, and Sherri really did come through in this aspect, as when I was online I could not find rooms that were so close to one another.

Since we are so far out, I've been doing prep work (like I typically do before any vacation). Basically just finding out all that I can about the Disney Wonder, Castaway Cay and anything in between.

I love listening to Podcasts about Disney and Disney Cruises. I almost think this is the best way I retain information (I can listen while I'm working, etc). But the boards have been a HUGE help!

Being that we live in South Carolina, the drive to Port Canaveral isn't too far (maybe an 8 hour trip give or take with traffic) Our plan at this point is to leave our house the evening of the 8th, stay overnight somewhere (Jacksonville, St Augustine) and then driving to Port Canaveral the 2nd day.

I'm planning on having our stateroom decorated and a cake for my son's birthday on embarkation day and I'm buying some custom door magnets that are Mickey-birthday themed. I'm definitely going to do the pillowcase autographs for the kiddo and I'm currently pinning a bunch of ideas on my pinterest board for Pirate costume ideas for the family.

I'm really excited about this cruise! We've cruised before with Carnival and I'm hoping that the "magic" of Disney is on the ship just as much as it is in the parks. We absolutely love the family time and fun we have in the parks and hope that it carries across the sea as well....

I'll update as things progress!

Hi, just came across your post by chance. Congrats on booking your cruise! I felt I had to reply to your message since we have booked the exact same rooms on the Wonder for September 2017. We (DH, my 2 boys, myself) will be sailing with my 2 brothers in the adjoining room.
We are so excited... and I'm going crazy wanting to plan. I've done so many Disneyland and a couple WDW trips that I'm feeling a little lost with this cruise.
Looks like you're off to a great start! I'm sure your son will love the trip.

Sounds like a wonderful (ugh forgive the unintended pun) birthday present!

I researched (& dreamed about) a Disney cruise for about 8 years before I ever sailed one, but have made up for it since. It's an excellent way for 3 generations to vacation, IMHO.

Totally get the control issue with TA versus booking on your own, but once you're on board and see how some things can add up (doesn't have to but it's nice to have), the idea of "free money" with the on board credit helps me relinquish control. I do about 65% ta bookings, 35% on my own (sort of depends on how much the cruise is).

Anyway, have fun planning!

Hi, just came across your post by chance. Congrats on booking your cruise! I felt I had to reply to your message since we have booked the exact same rooms on the Wonder for September 2017. We (DH, my 2 boys, myself) will be sailing with my 2 brothers in the adjoining room.
We are so excited... and I'm going crazy wanting to plan. I've done so many Disneyland and a couple WDW trips that I'm feeling a little lost with this cruise.
Looks like you're off to a great start! I'm sure your son will love the trip.

Oh how awesome! I'll be sure to give you a great room review then! :)

Sounds like a wonderful (ugh forgive the unintended pun) birthday present!

I researched (& dreamed about) a Disney cruise for about 8 years before I ever sailed one, but have made up for it since. It's an excellent way for 3 generations to vacation, IMHO.

Totally get the control issue with TA versus booking on your own, but once you're on board and see how some things can add up (doesn't have to but it's nice to have), the idea of "free money" with the on board credit helps me relinquish control. I do about 65% ta bookings, 35% on my own (sort of depends on how much the cruise is).

Anyway, have fun planning!

Ok, so let me go ahead and confess something here (hehehe)! When I first started talking about doing a WDW trip, my husband was like "it's so expensive, once and that's it.. blah blah blah" thing. Well, half way into our first day into the parks and he was hooked. I mean hook, line and sinker. He's the one now that is pushing for trips, wanting annual passes, looking at DVC.
Well, when we talked about the Disney Cruise, same exact thing... "so much money, it's just a boat, how different can it be?"..... so I'm curious to see how this rolls over too. Will he be hooked? Will we forever be cruising Disney now?

And I'm so glad you have the same control concerns, but I think you are right.. the extra cash is a nice perk to have!! I think so far the one thing I am really grateful for is that the TA was able to get us into rooms together, that for some reason when I was online looking, I couldn't see as available. So win/win!

How cool Skywatcher0210! So we'll both be Disney Cruise newbies!
So are you nervous at all about the weather? My husband is a bit nervous that the weather won't really be warm enough for him to enjoy the water at Castaway Kay. He's one of those people who will only swim in like 80-degree-plus water.

My husband and I are on this cruise as well! Same deck as you but WAY the other end of the ship in room 7634. Our first time cruising and of course it HAD to be a Disney cruise. Afterward we plan of a few days at WDW. I actually made the reservation thru a TA at the very end of December 2015. It's been a long wait!

Here we are at WDW Sept 2016.. If you see us on the ship, please say hello!
SAM_0270.JPG

cyndiella I will ABSOLUTELY try and say HI! How fun! We booked this cruise in April 2016 and it feels like every since that day... time... has.... crept... by!
I was SO thrilled when I opened up my Disney Cruise app the other day (because , of course I randomly do this for some reason) to see we were under 100 days! EEEK!!

Can't wait to see you all there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter