I Need Your Guys HELP PLEASE!! LONG But PLEASE HELP

DonaldsGrl103

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone here I just want you to know how much I have always appreciated your advice and without you this trip that is 2 weeks away would have not been at all possible. Basically you guys have cleared up alot of my fears and anxietys. I do need your advice, first off will I need a medical letter to get a GAC? I do have one and defiantly wont be able to expose my brother to the sun for too long since he has a severe seizure disorder. Also will my family be able to use the GAC even if he does not go on the ride- the reason I am asking is because we wont attempt to if we cant use that or fastpass and make him wait too long in the sun or heat. Also what are the best options in changing a boy about 5 feet tall who weighs 75 pds.
~Should we use the first aid stations in the parks or what are the companion bathrooms like? Does the first aid stations stay open the whole day?
~ Also will the character meals charge us for him even though he is on a feeding tube?
~ What are the best viewing areas for disabled guests for the parades and shows in all parks?
~Also if we should godforbid have a problem with his health which is the nearest hospital that is pretty good from property?
~Is Caremedical a good company to deal with when it comes to medical supplies?
~Will American Airlines if anyone has experience deal well with a disabled person ?- They actually told us the day before our flight someone will contact us and give us a seat that accomodates disabled person. I hope its as close to the front as possible since he cant walk and will need someone to carry him onto his seat.
~Bottom line is I need you guys to reassure me and ESPECIALLY my MOM that everything will go well with johnny.
I have been saving for so loong for this trip to make sure my brother will truly have a magical trip and for once get away from all the medical stuff.
I am SO SORRY I have many questions but this is the first time we are bringing him down after him being exposed to all these extra conditions.
ThAnks so much and happy holidays
Jess

Hi Jess

1. You do not need a medical letter to get a GAC. It does not hurt to have one. However, the letter should NOT give diagnosis, but SHOULD state what accomodations are needed. Realize that a GAC does NOT give "front of the line" privledges.

2. The companion bathrroms tend to be very large to allow both a person in a wheelchair as well as a person to assist; there is plenty of room in them.

3. First Aid locations are open from park opening until after closing.

4. Normally the character meals will not charge for a person on a feeding tube or other special situation. However, there may be a charge (usually $5.00) as an entertainment fee.

5. Reedy Crrek Emergency Services has rescue squads and ambulances for any emergencies. Celebration Hospital (part of Florida Hospital System) is very close to Main Gate.

6. As far as an airline is concerned, normally they will use a standard wheelchair to the plane's door and then transfer him to an "aisle chair" to get to his row.

I hope some of these help.

Mike

DonaldsGrl103 said:
Also will my family be able to use the GAC even if he does not go on the ride- the reason I am asking is because we wont attempt to if we cant use that or fastpass and make him wait too long in the sun or heat.
Agreeing with what Mike wrote and adding a little more. :yes:
The GAC is for the use of the person with a disability so they can go on the ride; it's not really to use for rides he won't be going on. For those, I'd suggest you use fastpass, or have the people who want to go on those rides go while he is busy being changed or having feedings.
Also what are the best options in changing a boy about 5 feet tall who weighs 75 pds.
~Should we use the first aid stations in the parks or what are the companion bathrooms like? Does the first aid stations stay open the whole day?
If you need him to lie down for changes, then the only option is First Aid. They are open all the hours the parks are. They have cots in individaul cubilces that you can use or a cot in an exam room (the cubicles have curtains, the exam rooms have doors).
The companion restrooms are large enough to bring a wheelchair in and have room to move around, but not all of them have changing tables in them. My best estimate is that someone 5 feet tall would be too long for the changing tables. I'm not sure how high they are, but I'd estimate they are kind of high to lift someone onto. They usually come about hip height to me and I'm 5 ft 7.5
If he can stand for changes or you can change him in the wheelchair, they you'd have no problem using the companion restrooms
~ What are the best viewing areas for disabled guests for the parades and shows in all parks?
They are all marked on the park maps. You can check them out earlier in the day before the parades and see which ones you like best.
~Is Caremedical a good company to deal with when it comes to medical supplies?
That is one of the companies that DIS posters report good experiences with, so I don't think you will have any problems.
~Will American Airlines if anyone has experience deal well with a disabled person ?- They actually told us the day before our flight someone will contact us and give us a seat that accomodates disabled person. I hope its as close to the front as possible since he cant walk and will need someone to carry him onto his seat.
We have never traveled American, so I can't help you there. You CAN get seats assigned before (in fact, when you make your reservations if you are disabled). They might be planning on giving you the bulkhead seats. Some airlines won't assign those until the day before or of the flight. The bulkheads are the front row of the regular section. When you are getting the seats assigned, just tell them what you have written here - that he can't walk and will have to be carried. So how far will the seats be?
The aisle chair that Mike mentioned is great - if he will use it. My DD won't (she just refuses and "melts" off of it, but she can walk as long as she has full support, so, so far at least, we can get her into the plane.

I think you'll do just fine. Sending lots of pixie dust for a great trip.

Will the person with the GAP be riding the rides? I brought along a dr's note a few weeks ago for my WDW trip, only because I don't use a wheelchair or an ECV and my disability/disease is not easily seen right off the bat. I went to Town Hall in MK our first day, showed my letter, and was given a GAP that was good the length of the trip. They will ask you how many people in your party, so make sure you tell them the full amount.

You will enter the rides at the FastPass location and be given whatever accomodations are available there. You won't go to the front of the line, but you will enter as if you are using the FastPass - with how ever many members of your party want to ride with the person with the GAP (I never really had the CM's check the #of riders vs the # noted on my pass, however). I did not need any other accomodations so I can't really tell you much more, only to say that it made the difference between a magically wonderfully trip and a trip where I was taking morphine all day, dragging my rear by 10am, and going to the bathroom every 15 minutes. Thank goodness I looked here on the DIS and this forum, because it really made the vacation so much easier to bear. I was so worried that my WDW vacation would be so hard for me physically, but I made it through - in part due to the GAP.

Hope you have a great time! Have a great holiday season too.
Love, CHeryl

Glad the GAC worked well for you Cheryl. I just wanted to point out that not all GACs work the same way. It depends on the message that has been stamped on the GAC to meet your needs.
bexareaglecheryl said:
Will the person with the GAP be riding the rides? I brought along a dr's note a few weeks ago for my WDW trip, only because I don't use a wheelchair or an ECV and my disability/disease is not easily seen right off the bat. I went to Town Hall in MK our first day, showed my letter, and was given a GAP that was good the length of the trip. They will ask you how many people in your party, so make sure you tell them the full amount.
They usually will give a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) for up to a total of 6 people (5 plus the person with a disability). If you have 7 in your party, they are likely to make an exception and give a card that allows 7. If you have 10 or 12, chances are less.
You will enter the rides at the FastPass location and be given whatever accomodations are available there. You won't go to the front of the line, but you will enter as if you are using the FastPass - with how ever many members of your party want to ride with the person with the GAP (I never really had the CM's check the #of riders vs the # noted on my pass, however).
Not all GACs allow you to enter thru the FastPass line, it depends on what accomidations are needed and what is stamped on the card. It might also vary depending on how busy the attraction is right then, the staffing and how many other people with special needs are already waiting.
Some GACs allow things like avoiding stairs (but still require waiting in the regular line), some allow you to bring a stroller into the line and have it treated like a wheelchair (but still wait in the regular line).
Do show the GAC to the first CM at the entrance and they will tell you what to do.
We have almost always had the CM ask how many are in our group and then count, so whether they count or not will depend on the CM.
Hope you have a great time! Have a great holiday season too.

I also have a copy of the current Guide Book for Guests With Disabilities here with me if anyone has a question or wants me to look something up.
Cheryl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter