I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are several DPs from Reddit that a GrubHub GC does not trigger the credit, and a few that say a Seamless GC also doesn’t work. I don’t use either service, so I can’t speak from experience. However, someone noted that GrubHub has a pickup option, which should trigger the $10 credit and save you the delivery fee and tip. If GrubHub doesn’t deliver near you, check the app to see if there are restaurants that offer the pickup option.
Yep--I can pick up Chick Fil A from my Grub Hub. Also got the 20% back on my grub hub order and I should get 4x MR points. Too bad I didn't enroll in the dining credit until after I ordered grubhub!

Never been so happy to get to work where I actually have power. Still out at my house and they're saying we won't get it back until between 6-11 PM tomorrow night. Now I'm trying to do ALL THE THINGS at work since cell phone service has been spotty at our house. I did see there were some new Amex offers and I got the one for the Amex gift cards. I'm also planning to call Chase and PC my CSP today. Hoping to also book our magical Disney trip for next year today... Fingers crossed!

Never been so happy to get to work where I actually have power. Still out at my house and they're saying we won't get it back until between 6-11 PM tomorrow night. Now I'm trying to do ALL THE THINGS at work since cell phone service has been spotty at our house. I did see there were some new Amex offers and I got the one for the Amex gift cards. I'm also planning to call Chase and PC my CSP today. Hoping to also book our magical Disney trip for next year today... Fingers crossed!
Oh my gosh--what a pain:( I hope it comes on before tomorrow night!

So I was approved for the SPG Business ($5k spend) and the Sapphire Preferred ($4k spend) over the past couple of weeks. Then Amex sent me the upgrade offer on my Hilton card so I took it ($3k spend). Today they sent me the upgrade offer on my Green card which would be another $2k spend. I haven't accepted the Green card upgrade yet. Are there any negatives to accepting another upgrade offer? (assuming I can meet another $2k in spending). Thanks

You enter the ticket numbers on the mydisney experience website or app and assign them to everyone in your party. If you are staying onsite and will have magic bands there is no need to pick up actual tickets. If you won’t have magic bands you can pick up physical tickets at ticket Windows or guest services outside any park.

There is a thread about this on the Theme Park Attractions forum but I’m on mobile and can’t link it. The UT site also has a FAQ about linking tickets.

Last I checked the etickets were good until the end of 2019.

Thank you!

Can confirm that a Cheesecake Factory GC purchased in restaurant credits. Bought a $10 GC on 10/9, transaction posted as 10/10, $10 credit dated 10/13.

Relatedly, I’ve read the lowest denomination GC sold by Ruth’s Chris is $25.

Good to know! I went yesterday, alone, to enjoy a quiet lunch. I am still full this morning. After my $10 statement credit, I still spent around $19 OOP. I will do the gift card for the next couple months.

Just a quick DP on a Chase Pay return from Walmart .com. I know someone posted about this last week or the week before, but I ordered something online at WM . com using Chase Pay and had to return it. The system wouldn't return it to my card because it was Chase Pay and had to issue a GC. The cashier tried a few ways and it the end, it didn't matter to me since I knew I would use the GC at Sam's (after Q4 of course). I get to keep the 5x points, but now have a WM GC.

Just another word of caution to others that might use Chase Pay on WM . com and have no use for a WM GC if they have to return.

I've been joking with people that I am an actual pioneer now. We have a one room log cabin (technically "two rooms," but our bedroom is a loft) and we have no electricity and no water. I'm basically Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Oh how cute! I love log cabins!

Years ago I spent a night in a brand new one near Ashville, North Carolina when friends there had one built. It was much bigger than one room but I still remember the wood smoke smell from the wood burning stove and the delicious southern style breakfast the next morning. Up in the mountains and away from it all.

Good to know! I went yesterday, alone, to enjoy a quiet lunch. I am still full this morning. After my $10 statement credit, I still spent around $19 OOP. I will do the gift card for the next couple months.

And, $19 is a reasonable price for a good lunch.

Sad news, CSR support links seem to be gone now. Check your links, but mine and a few others I clicked will display the landing page but when you go to apply it gives the Unavailable error. (like what happened when CSP was briefly removed) I suspect no one will have a working link but if someone's works, be the unicorn and let us know :p

Sad news, CSR support links seem to be gone now. Check your links, but mine and a few others I clicked will display the landing page but when you go to apply it gives the Unavailable error. (like what happened when CSP was briefly removed) I suspect no one will have a working link but if someone's works, be the unicorn and let us know :p
Wow is that a huge tease...they still leave the landing page up?? We kinda knew this was coming I guess, bummer!

Wow is that a huge tease...they still leave the landing page up?? We kinda knew this was coming I guess, bummer!

Yeah, I'm wondering when it really went down because I don't usually look past the landing page. But was going through my links and for random reasons decided to hit apply on all of them and :( Although after the CSP thing I probably should hit Apply more often as a check rather than just relying on the landing page.
I see now it's reported in the discussion thread on r/churning so maybe it was just today. How obsessive are folks there that they'd check their link daily to be the DP?

ETA: And now that I clicked like 6 CSR links over there, Reddit ads think I want a CSR and would like me to learn more about a $300 AUTOMATIC annual travel credit on every ad space...

I just found this thread and wow it is amazing!

This may have been addressed somewhere but from a quick look I could not find it.

My DH and I both had a Starwood Card we got in either 2013 or 2014. I remember that was a ‘once in a lifetime’ benefit.’ With the merger with Marriot would we be eligible for the card again for Starwood points?

We have cancelled the cards and never had the Marriott card. Would we qualify for the Marriott bonus? Would that work for Starwood properties? I am hoping to take the cruise from Honolulu in 2020 and there is a nice Starwood in Waikiki I want to stay at-trying to figure out if I can get some sort of credit card bonus to make it happen.

Wow! No problem on the questions, SO thankful for the help! Answers are below questions in the quote. Thanks again so much for the help!

I shut down my main business this summer. I do contracting for another business and get a 1099, would this work for a business card?

Thanks again!

I checked my report and do not see my INK on there. Does the business card not count toward a personal 5/24? If it does count I have one more slot and then have two that fall off in May.

Here is a little more info on what I am trying to map out for a plan to attack this:

I would like to figure out a way to have a hotel for 2-3 days in Waikiki, and a hotel in Vancouver for one night. We are open to different brands/tiers of hotels. I want to be on the beach in Honolulu though. I think I have enough Ultimate Rewards points already for the Flight home from the cruise from Vancouver to Indy (I have over 140K).
I am guessing I need to get a new SW card between now and then for my husband and I to each to have enough points for one of us to purchase flights from Indy to San Fran and the other from San Fran to Honolulu (we have never done a flight that long and would like to split it up.) If we have enough Hotel points left over covering the San Fran evening would be a bonus.

DH just applied for the Savor Card so that will be $500 to set aside for excursions/extras. I would ideally like to do one of those in my name to get another $500 toward the trip if it can work out. Any other cash reward cards I can work in are great to get extra money toward the ‘extras’ for the trip so we can splurge!

One bummer-we both have Sapphires I am going to cancel so I don’t think those are an option for us. I have two SWA ones in my name and am going to cancel one of them this week to start the clock to get another. I think DH could get one immediately if my INK is not against him and that would be his #5.
If there is another way to get Ultimate Rewards I would prefer this over another Southwest Card to get the Southwest points since they are more flexible.

For planning purposes we generally could get $3K on to the card easily, probably some months are $4K-$5K depending on the month with general expenses. With the holidays coming spending will be higher and we also have a trip in March that will have some purchases we could use for points. We always pay balance in full before due date so interest is not an issue.

Answers in quote below:

Thanks again so much!!!

Sorry it took a while to get back to you. There’s a LOT here, so I wanted to take some time to unpack this. I’ll start out with getting more Ultimate Rewards (“UR”) points first --

First, as you know, Chase has a so-called 5/24 rule, which restricts many of their cards with lucrative signup bonuses (including all of Chase’s Ultimate Rewards-earning cards) from approval if you’ve opened 5 or more credit cards in the past 24 months. See Chase 5/24 Rule Explained In Detail – Everything You Need To Know. Because of this, it is generally recommended for someone starting out to focus on Chase’s cards that are subject to the 5/24 rule first, before those 5 slots are taken up by cards from other issuers that may not have such strict rules and therefore may still be available after you are at or past 5/24.

The issue is, a lot of your and DH’s most recent credit cards are actually store cards, which may or may not count against the 5/24 rule. Store cards will count against the 5/24 rule if the card can be used outside of that store. If the store card is a Visa, MasterCard, Amex, etc., that can be accepted anywhere cards on those networks are accepted, it will count against 5/24. See Do store cards count towards the limit?. Specifically to your situation, it looks like you have Lowe’s, Best Buy, TJ Maxx, and Justice store cards. I tried looking these up, and it appears Best Buy’s card is on the Visa network, TJ Maxx’s card is a Mastercard, Lowe’s card can only be used at Lowe’s, and the Justice card can only be used at Justice. So Best Buy and TJ Maxx would count, and Lowe’s and Justice shouldn’t count. However, the Lowe’s card still appears on your and your husband’s credit reports, and the Justice card appears on your report. If you’re applying for a Chase credit card, Chase will pull your credit report and see the Lowe’s and Justice card on it. Chase’s automated system may go ahead and count the Lowe’s and Justice card as credit cards opened in the past 24 months. Although they shouldn’t count, the computer doesn’t know how to make that distinction, and if Lowe’s or Justice is the card that puts you at 5/24 and is the reason you’re denied a Chase card that’s subject to the 5/24 rule, then you’ll need to call Chase’s reconsideration line (“recon”) to speak with a human rep and try to get them to disregard the Lowe’s and/or Justice card when counting your */24.

With authorized user (“AU”) cards, they generally count because they appear on your credit report and Chase’s algorithm will just view it as another card opened in the past 24 months. There are some exceptions to this. An AU on a business credit card (or an “employee” card), does not count unless the business card is reported on the credit report, and business credit cards are typically not reported on personal credit reports. And for you, because you think the Lowe’s card on your credit report may be an AU of DH’s Lowe’s card, it may not count if the Lowe’s card doesn’t count. But again, if Chase’s computer does count the Lowe’s card in its initial review, and that puts you or DH at or over 5/24, then you’ll have to call recon and try to convince a human rep to disregard the Lowe’s card. See Authorized Users & Reconsideration.

Generally, we recommend don’t sign up for store cards or adding a spouse (and potential Player 2) as an AU. Store cards usually give paltry savings that you can match with a good promotion, gift carding, and shopping portals, or stacking some combination of these tricks. And since AUs generally count as if the authorized user opened the card itself, but without the bonus, it makes more sense for the other user to open up the card him-/herself for the bonus, and even better if you can refer the other user to that card for a referral bonus to yourself.

So where does that leave you and DH?

It looks like you’re 4/24, but you could possibly be as low as 2/24 if you have to recon.

DH looks like he’s at 4/24, but could possibly be as low as 3/24 if he can get that Lowe’s card disregarded on recon.

Regardless, even at 4/24, you both have 1 clear slot left with which to apply for a Chase card.

You mentioned you have an INK card, and that it was the CIP. Are you sure it’s the Chase Ink Preferred, and not Chase Ink Plus? When did you get this card (must’ve been in the past 2 years, because I believe the CIP was released in October 2017).

I think the first move with DH’s 1 certain slot is for you to refer DH to the CIP. The CIP has a 80k UR signup bonus (+20k UR to you if you refer DH), after a $5k minimum spending requirement (“MSR”) in 3 months. Generate a referral link from your CIP, copy and paste it into an incognito window or another browser, and have DH apply with a side hustle he may have. The CIP (and all Ink cards) are subject to the 5/24 rule, meaning you have to be under 5/24 to apply, but they don’t add to the */24 count because the Ink cards are not reported to your personal credit report. So while DH is nominally 4/24, he still qualifies for the CIP, and being approved for the CIP won’t take up his “last” slot. This would get you 20k UR from the referral bonus if he’s approved, and the signup bonus on the CIP is 80k UR for DH. Chase allows transferring UR points between different UR-earning cards (Freedoms, Sapphires, and Inks), and combining points between people in the same household. So DH can eventually pool his points with you. (It’s a good idea to transfer all UR points into a single pool whenever the statement for each UR-earning card closes, because there are rumors that Chase is looking at restricting UR transfers and pooling.)

Along the same lines, you should use your “last” clear slot to apply for another one of Chase’s Ink cards. Again, Chase also offers the Chase Ink Cash (“CIC”) and Chase Ink Unlimited (“CIU”), which each have 50k UR signup bonuses after spending $3k MSR in 3 months. You have to be under 5/24 to apply, but they don’t add to the */24 count because the Ink cards are not reported to your personal credit report.

If you want to go over the different benefits of the Ink cards, beyond their signup bonuses, let us know.

You mentioned that you both have Sapphires – Is that the Chase Sapphire Preferred (“CSP”) or Chase Sapphire Reserve (“CSR”)? Last summer, Chase implemented a so-called “one Sapphire card” rule that will deny your application for a Sapphire product if you currently hold another Sapphire card or received a signup bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 24 months. See Chase Updates the Terms to Indicate Sapphire Family Limitation. In August, Chase changed the rule again and extended the limit to one signup bonus from any Sapphire card to every 48 months. See Chase Sapphire Cards New 48-Month Signup Bonus Limitation (Instead of 24 Months). If you or DH received a bonus on your Sapphire cards more than 48 months ago, then it’s possible you could get another signup bonus from the CSP or CSR.

Don’t cancel your Sapphire cards! The age of these cards will generally help your credit scores. You can product change (“PC” aka downgrade) them to no fee Chase Freedom Unlimited (“CFU”) or Chase Freedom (“CF”) cards (even if you already currently hold a CF card. If you or DH received a bonus on your Sapphire cards more than 48 months ago, PCing your Sapphire card to a CF/CFU card would get you around that part of the one Sapphire card limitation because you’d no longer have a Sapphire card.

There’s a lot here to digest, and I know it must sound like a foreign language to you. We’ll get you up to speed. If you can reply and clarify some things, that’ll help! And I’ll post more thoughts later, when I can find some time. DO NOT RUSH anything. Because you and DH are at a precarious spot, being possibly at 4/24, you don’t want to make any mistakes. The more detail and precision with card names and dates, and plans and goals generally, the better we can tailor our replies. Although there’s some time sensitivity in this hobby and with a lot of credit card offers, and rules can change suddenly, nothing major is likely to happen if you wait a day.

In the meantime, do you have a reddit account? If not, you can create one and message me, @SouthFayetteFan, or @Albort, and we’ll get you invited to DISchurners.

Last edited:
ok..... again with another Amex offer question- I got an offer to upgrade my plain old Hh (no AF) card to an Aspire....150k/4k MSR. Trying to decide if this is a good deal or not. (I have a lull in MSR till DH goes for CP in a couple of months) I've been getting into Hh points lately bc of all the great offers everywhere,and building a stash(and hopefully using soon) Is this worthwhile- how easy is it to get the airline credits? what triggers those? I'm mainly a SWA gal-and value those above most others right now. also wondering about the $250 resort credit,what does this equal? basically a free night somewhere nice,does that credit work on a booked night? I'm thinking if it does, then this offer would= 5 nights somewhere? (I'm calculating based on Disney Springs Hilton calculations.....am I off here? Also since this is an upgrade, I could still consider a different card too (one of those more flexible travel points cards like Barclays maybe) at the same time? Would love some input on the value of this offer....

Yeah, I'm wondering when it really went down because I don't usually look past the landing page. But was going through my links and for random reasons decided to hit apply on all of them and :( Although after the CSP thing I probably should hit Apply more often as a check rather than just relying on the landing page.
I see now it's reported in the discussion thread on r/churning so maybe it was just today. How obsessive are folks there that they'd check their link daily to be the DP?
This is somewhat impactful to the 2 player strategy. We had already discussed this a bit but probably worth revisiting.
  • CSR is a 54,000 point offer & you can't refer player 2
  • CSP is potentially a 59,000 point offer since it seems the AU bonus is still posting & you can refer player 2 for another 10k URs there.
This still comes back to whether you need to use the points at 1.5x in the first year (since you can't upgrade a CSP to a CSR for the first 12 months). If somebody was planning to use their URs by transferring to partners like Southwest, Hyatt, etc. then it seems the pendulum swings in favor of CSP.

There is lots to consider here now with the death of double dip, death of 1.50x for Disney resorts/tix, 48 mo. language, and now death (maybe temporary) of CSR links. We'll just need to help newer folks navigate all of this when advising them on cards. Hard to believe a year ago how easy it was to just tell a newbie to get CIP, CSP, CSR in succession...now we have all this new info to consider!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter