I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

We are in the same boat. DH applied last Wednesday. He has 2 personal and 2 business cards. Lowered his credit limits. Applied with an EIN since we have a real business. All 4 of his accounts are in separate logins and no notices yet.
Just got the email that DH was approved for the CIP! Took 9 days for the approval. Already checked his 4 accounts and the new card is not showing. I will try to get him to call in and expedite, but I am not sure it will get here before taxes are due on Monday.

You've gotten the usual answers with Chase. I've done pay yourself I guess it is on my CSP earlier this year on my Disney restaurant charges that were like $200- $500 a shot since we were 6 people. I wanted to mitigate the out of pocket expenses as that (March, Easter) started climbing over 10K cash. Now my points total are climbing back up there so I'll probably do this again if I can in Nov/Dec and Feb on my next Disney trips. I also save UR's to get a room in summer at Hyatt in Ocean City in July or August (right now 29k) but I wouldn't spend that in off season as cash prices plummet as you probably know. I haven't cashed out but that looks like a fairly easy option at 1-1.

I did well with gift cards a few years back when Amex would do 20% off on store brands so I went to look at that and all they have is the Amex prepaid cards that get you half a cent per point. Yikes! Amex is not very generous. Fortunately for me my Amex MR are minimal as I spent most of them. Now I can't even see a good path to get a cent per point as the restaurant cards are all gone!
Completely aside... do you like the Hyatt in Ocean City? I'm thinking I need a vacation around October/November.

@havaneselover Were you looking at VS? There's a 25% off award sale starting today on VS metal, but I think it's only valid on flights through the end of the year.
Thank you! I actually booked my ticket to London two days ago (the first day it was open) for 27,500 Virgin points plus $457. I was actually tempted to go for upper class but I don't want to get too spoiled:) As soon as the return ticket is available I'll book that because the flight to London is sold out for Premium points plus cash.

Just got the email that DH was approved for the CIP! Took 9 days for the approval. Already checked his 4 accounts and the new card is not showing. I will try to get him to call in and expedite, but I am not sure it will get here before taxes are due on Monday.
Congrats….since they don’t ship on weekends …the only way it would get to you on Monday is if they send it today…

Completely aside... do you like the Hyatt in Ocean City? I'm thinking I need a vacation around October/November.

I like the vibe there as the people are friendly. It's not upscale, but a decent option so far. Would not pay top points in November as I've only seen them go down to 21K and by then rooms are cheaper like a $100 plus tax per night. In October they are asking $300 to $400 a night so it's a better points deal but October can be cooler than I would want for those dollars or points. Also, prices can change up or down depending on occupancy projections.

It is on the Boardwalk and I mostly end up with ocean front. But after 6 or 7 years, it is starting to need a refresh (just my opinion as I tend to want 'new' most of the time.

They have 2 pools, one outdoor with a 1 foot entry for half of it (great for toddlers) and one indoor, side by side, and that's a draw for the grandchildren. The indoor has a wall of doors so in summer it's open to the outside. Breakfast is basic, but when I've gone down at 5 or 5:30 if coffee wasn't ready they made it for me. I'm not demanding it, they are just nice like that, or at least the night guy was.

This summer I stayed at Hilton Suites at 32nd street and Hyatt. Room better at Hilton, food options better but I'll choose Hyatt for location and boardwalk access.

I will always pick a hotel on the ocean because I enjoy getting up early and walking the beach.

My next stay is soon for the 29k points, but prices haven't dropped too far yet. My weekend nights were in the $600 range for the 29k points but now it's sold out online. Following weekend is in the $200's so ymmv.

After that I have a couple of nights at the Holiday Inn on 17th, where I was able to use my 40K certificates for 2 nights in a row. For that weekend, the cost had bounced up to over $600 a night, so I got lucky. In summer it went to $900 plus tax. It's a nice set up with suites, except I hate the bathroom jacuzzi tub. You can get a king with a separate shower but that's not always available. It's my choice for best rooms but I won't spend that kind of money in summer when I can stay at the Hyatt for 29k points.

I think people really watch the weather this time of year. Most people don't want a rainy beach weekend or a cold one.

When I booked a NCL cruise through Costco it showed up as NCL on my CSR
Thanks to you and @havaneselover

I knew the gift card trick, but figured this would put a dent in it as well, even though it’s not as much value as transferring points or booking through the portal since you can’t book Disney cruises with the portal, I figured this was the next best thing to use the points.

During the pandemic, I was able to stock up on gift cards at grocery stores and pay myself back at the 1.5 cents and combine it with the $$ off groceries/gas you receive for buying GC but I don’t envision that ever returning.

I've been itching for the Altitude Reserve for awhile but they really don't like my credit profile and I get rejected every 6 months when I apply.

Finally got through.

First I tried to product change my Altitude Go for the Reserve but that didn't work because the Altitude Go only had a $4,000 limit and USBAR has a minimum of $5,000. So instead of I product changed by Cash+ to USBAR, then product changed by Altitude Go to Cash+.

I haven't used the AMEX FHR or THC before and I am wondering if it would be possible for me to use my AMEX to book 2 night and DH to use his AMEX to book another 2 nights so we both get credits and/or if we'd have to change rooms to do it.

Does anyone have recent experience with that?

We're looking at New Orleans for Mardi Gras.

Last edited:
I like the vibe there as the people are friendly. It's not upscale, but a decent option so far. Would not pay top points in November as I've only seen them go down to 21K and by then rooms are cheaper like a $100 plus tax per night. In October they are asking $300 to $400 a night so it's a better points deal but October can be cooler than I would want for those dollars or points. Also, prices can change up or down depending on occupancy projections.

It is on the Boardwalk and I mostly end up with ocean front. But after 6 or 7 years, it is starting to need a refresh (just my opinion as I tend to want 'new' most of the time.

They have 2 pools, one outdoor with a 1 foot entry for half of it (great for toddlers) and one indoor, side by side, and that's a draw for the grandchildren. The indoor has a wall of doors so in summer it's open to the outside. Breakfast is basic, but when I've gone down at 5 or 5:30 if coffee wasn't ready they made it for me. I'm not demanding it, they are just nice like that, or at least the night guy was.

This summer I stayed at Hilton Suites at 32nd street and Hyatt. Room better at Hilton, food options better but I'll choose Hyatt for location and boardwalk access.

I will always pick a hotel on the ocean because I enjoy getting up early and walking the beach.

My next stay is soon for the 29k points, but prices haven't dropped too far yet. My weekend nights were in the $600 range for the 29k points but now it's sold out online. Following weekend is in the $200's so ymmv.

After that I have a couple of nights at the Holiday Inn on 17th, where I was able to use my 40K certificates for 2 nights in a row. For that weekend, the cost had bounced up to over $600 a night, so I got lucky. In summer it went to $900 plus tax. It's a nice set up with suites, except I hate the bathroom jacuzzi tub. You can get a king with a separate shower but that's not always available. It's my choice for best rooms but I won't spend that kind of money in summer when I can stay at the Hyatt for 29k points.

I think people really watch the weather this time of year. Most people don't want a rainy beach weekend or a cold one.
That's amazingly helpful. Thank you!

I haven't used the AMEX FHR or THC before and I am wondering if it would be possible for me to use my AMEX to book 2 night and DH to use his AMEX to book another 2 nights so we both get credits and/or if we'd have to change rooms to do it.

Does anyone have recent experience with that?

We're looking at New Orleans for Mardi Gras.

You can get the Amex Platinum $200 hotel credit for both. FHR/THC comes with a $100 credit to use at the hotel. You might not get that twice.

The hotel will usually try to keep you in the same room. I would e-mail them ahead of time.

Discover Q4 categories have been announced - Target and Amazon.

In general - pretty lame because you can get 5% with the RedCard and Amazon prime visa card.

However - I am in the first year so will get the 10% bonus. Overall, I am really disappointed there was no warehouse category this year.

I've been itching for the Altitude Reserve for awhile but they really don't like my credit profile and I get rejected every 6 months when I apply.

Finally got through.

First I tried to product change my Altitude Go for the Reserve but that didn't work because the Altitude Go only had a $4,000 limit and USBAR has a minimum of $5,000. So instead of I product changed by Cash+ to USBAR, then product changed by Altitude Go to Cash+.
I’ve thought about that card for awhile but have been on the chase biz kick.

Glad you were able to get the cash+ back. We have two of those and it is the easiest way I know of to get 5% on utilities. Used to be a little bit better but I feel all cards have started to chip away at things lately.

For those who have Waldorf Astoria Costa Rica booked, maybe @wanderlust7 and @calypso726 it looks like original opening was Feb 1, 2025 and now they aren't taking reservations until March 15, 2025. We are supposed to be headed there around that time...

I did have reservations booked for February and also for early March and was going to decide which to keep. I wound up canceling Costa Rica all together for next year and put it on the back burner since we were also planning a trip to NYC in January, Denver the beginning of May, NYC at the end of May, Scotland for July and Masai Mara for August. It seemed like “a lot going on” even for me. Mind you, I’m still toying with the idea of cherry blossoms in DC for March, and possibly Dollywood and the Smokies for September. Now I have no regrets as it wouldn’t have worked out anyhow.

Discover Q4 categories have been announced - Target and Amazon.

In general - pretty lame because you can get 5% with the RedCard and Amazon prime visa card.

However - I am in the first year so will get the 10% bonus. Overall, I am really disappointed there was no warehouse category this year.
I don't have an Amazon card and spend way too much there so this will be a great category for our household. Agreed on Target though, although I don't shop there much anymore.

I don't have an Amazon card and spend way too much there so this will be a great category for our household. Agreed on Target though, although I don't shop there much anymore.
The appeal for me at Target is for buying Target Gift cards.

The red card will not give the 5% off on those.

We have seen the last couple of years Target selling their cards for 10% off so combine that with Discover and the 5% you are getting a pretty good deal.

I stock up on these for holiday and end of year gifts for DS teachers.

The appeal for me at Target is for buying Target Gift cards.

The red card will not give the 5% off on those.

We have seen the last couple of years Target selling their cards for 10% off so combine that with Discover and the 5% you are getting a pretty good deal.

I stock up on these for holiday and end of year gifts for DS teachers.
I do the same. It's a pretty nice savings. And I keep some for myself as we shop at Target a lot. It's great to then stack all of this by making a purchase when there's a Circle Bonus promotion!

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest