I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone check my thinking please . . .

I have a CSR. DH has a Freedom with an anniversary date in early Sept. He has already spent the $1,500 in grocery spend for this quarter, so I’m thinking about having him upgrade to a CSR. The CSR annual fee should be prorated, so less than $200. He should be able to use the $300 travel credit immediately, correct?

If he does this, I would downgrade my CSR prior to the annual fee. As long as I keep my CIP (to keep portal access), my existing hotel and car reservations booked with CSR URs will remain intact right (even thoI booked at 1.5x but now only hold a CIP that redeems at 1.25x)?

I’m thinking that if DH upgrades to the CSR, we’ll come out ahead plus we can get another $1,500 of grocery purchases at 5x (for June) and the ability to cash in for at least that $1,500 and maybe even the $1,500 May grocery spend from when it was a Freedom. That last part is a big maybe though.

Thoughts?

Edited: I should add that DH isn’t eligible to apply for a new CSR again until Nov(ish).

Once you product change the old Anniversary date doesn’t matter. Your AF will not be prorated based on that. You will be charged the full AF for the CSR, it probably will take several months to post though. The $300 travel credit should be immediate.

I can’t think of anything else that would be on caliber with the Stonewall. I’ve never been, but I’ve heard nice things about it. If you want further north, your next bet would be Morgantown. Home of me. Lol. Also home to West Virginia University so tons of hotel options. I would recommend maybe the Marriott Waterfront. It is within walking distance of several restaurants. Dog friendly on the decks. But I am not sure if the hotel is. We really don’t have anything on par with Stonewall. If you don’t want that then I’d say your next option would be Pittsburgh, either North Shore or possibly Station Square. Again, not resorts but Pittsburgh is a cool city if you’ve never been. I have no idea what is open hotel wise right now.
I had looked at the Marriott Waterfront, but sadly it's not dog friendly. There is however a new HI in Morganville that looks nice. I'm just not sure if I can make a 9 1/4 hour drive from Savannah (plus at least 1 stop). How are the roads through WV on the 19? Would there be any traffic if we were to arrive around 7:00pm? Any good restaurants for a picky vegetarian (that's dd!).

I figured that when you mentioned you are overproducing. I’m afraid I don’t always communicate well (a part of why I don’t post often). What I meant to communicate was, it might be better at this time to use frozen stores while his body is under other stressors. You are doing an amazing job 😇
Oh haha okay I get it. We have some extra in the fridge every day so luckily haven’t broken into the freezer stash yet

I had looked at the Marriott Waterfront, but sadly it's not dog friendly. There is however a new HI in Morganville that looks nice. I'm just not sure if I can make a 9 1/4 hour drive from Savannah (plus at least 1 stop). How are the roads through WV on the 19? Would there be any traffic if we were to arrive around 7:00pm? Any good restaurants for a picky vegetarian (that's dd!).

If you are not used to windy hilly roads (and even if you are), the roads throughout WV suck. You do want to go on 19, but absolutely do not speed on that road. There is some notorious speed traps on that road. We don’t have any big city traffic that you would hit anywhere, only slow ups would be construction. That is a long drive, but you are not going to hit anything worth stopping for in between. Even the Stonewall is a bit off the path for you. You could find a hotel in Clarksburg/Bridgeport area but I’m not sure what is in that area as far as hotels.

Once you product change the old Anniversary date doesn’t matter. Your AF will not be prorated based on that. You will be charged the full AF for the CSR, it probably will take several months to post though. The $300 travel credit should be immediate.
Interesting. Greg from Frequent Miler said on his podcast that the fee gets prorated (similar to the Amex Bonvoy upgrade/downgrade situation). But I may have misunderstood. Gonna go take another listen.

Interesting. Greg from Frequent Miler said on his podcast that the fee gets prorated (similar to the Amex Bonvoy upgrade/downgrade situation). But I may have misunderstood. Gonna go take another listen.

I believe people are playing the upgrade/downgrade game. So you will be charged the whole fee, but because the card is already over a year old then you don’t technically have to wait a year to PC again and then you will get a prorated refund when you downgrade. I think about doing this, but I feel bad. Lol. I know I’m not supposed to have a conscience when it comes to this stuff, but I do. Even if I wait a year from upgrade I believe i would still get a prorated refund because it was several months before my AF posted after I PCd. I only upgraded to get the additional Priority Pass for our family vacations and sadly we don’t need that now, so I do think I will downgrade again soon.

I believe people are playing the upgrade/downgrade game. So you will be charged the whole fee, but because the card is already over a year old then you don’t technically have to wait a year to PC again and then you will get a prorated refund when you downgrade. I think about doing this, but I feel bad. Lol. I know I’m not supposed to have a conscience when it comes to this stuff, but I do. Even if I wait a year from upgrade I believe i would still get a prorated refund because it was several months before my AF posted after I PCd. I only upgraded to get the additional Priority Pass for our family vacations and sadly we don’t need that now, so I do think I will downgrade again soon.

Yeah - I do recall someone posting a while back about upgrading/downgrading the CSR often. I wasn’t quite able to wrap my head around it.

However for DH, he would be upgrading his Freedom (that he has has for years). I did go back and listen again to the FM podcast and he definitely says if you upgrade, your annual fee gets prorated and you retain your original anniversary date. So now I’m confused. Maybe I’ll send a secure message and ask.

Yeah - I do recall someone posting a while back about upgrading/downgrading the CSR often. I wasn’t quite able to wrap my head around it.

However for DH, he would be upgrading his Freedom (that he has has for years). I did go back and listen again to the FM podcast and he definitely says if you upgrade, your annual fee gets prorated and you retain your original anniversary date. So now I’m confused. Maybe I’ll send a secure message and ask.

That's now how it works. You'll get charged the entire AF. I just upgraded in the fall, that's when I got my $300 travel credit. The date I upgrade will be when my next $300 travel credit hits. I didn't get charged for the AF until Feb, so I won't get charged again for the af until next year Feb.

The anniversary date does change in that it matters when you upgrade for the $300. But the ONLY way to have a prorated AF is if you downgrade it before the AF hits again. They WILL NOT charge you less than the $450. Plenty of people on here have upgrade and it's all worked the same, upgrade on June 1 have access to travel credit, 3ish months later the AF hits. June 1, 2021 the travel credit is available again and 3ish months later the AF hits again. If you were to use the travel credit in June 2021 and then PC the card back to a freedom that's when you would get part of your AF back. But whoever that person on the podcast is doesn't know what they're talking about.

If you are not used to windy hilly roads (and even if you are), the roads throughout WV suck. You do want to go on 19, but absolutely do not speed on that road. There is some notorious speed traps on that road. We don’t have any big city traffic that you would hit anywhere, only slow ups would be construction. That is a long drive, but you are not going to hit anything worth stopping for in between. Even the Stonewall is a bit off the path for you. You could find a hotel in Clarksburg/Bridgeport area but I’m not sure what is in that area as far as hotels.
I am not used to those kinds of roads and worry about my concentration 7+ hours into a long drive. I will have to think this over. Ideally I'd like to make it to Morgantown and the HI. Realistically it might be too long behind the wheel for me (dd can take a turn or 2, but I will do the bulk of the driving). How far off the beaten path is the Stonewall? Will I have to go a long way off the highway to get there? Or is it in close proximity to the 19?

One year ago today dd and I were in Kyoto; today we were supposed to be in St. Petersburg, Russia, soon to be heading to Bergen, Norway, then on to Oslo and the Arctic. How much things have changed.

Thought I would share a few pics from one year ago...
View attachment 498090

View attachment 498091

View attachment 498093

And one of dd's grad pictures....
View attachment 498095
Amazing photos. Let's hope we can get back to making memories outside our homes soon!

BECKLEY! Speed goes down and the police are sitting right there to catch you! Actualy, around Summersville there are some also, we've been camping there a few times.

Last edited:
For my fellow WHBM fans, they will be selling masks soon. I've ordered a ton of etsy (for me, dd, mom and dad). Would love a few more just to have other options.

I am not used to those kinds of roads and worry about my concentration 7+ hours into a long drive. I will have to think this over. Ideally I'd like to make it to Morgantown and the HI. Realistically it might be too long behind the wheel for me (dd can take a turn or 2, but I will do the bulk of the driving). How far off the beaten path is the Stonewall? Will I have to go a long way off the highway to get there? Or is it in close proximity to the 19?

Looks like it’s not as far off the interstate as I was thinking. That might be your best bet if it takes dogs. I would just make sure the on-site dining is open because I really don’t think there is anything else in close proximity.

Looks like it’s not as far off the interstate as I was thinking. That might be your best bet if it takes dogs. I would just make sure the on-site dining is open because I really don’t think there is anything else in close proximity.
They do take dogs as long as we bring a crate (we ordered a travel crate and soft pillow last weekend and she has been sleeping in it for the past few days); I believe we can order room service as they don't allow the dogs in dining venues. Which is fine since dd is a room service princess!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter