I know this is stupid, but...

4luv2cdisney

DIS Veteran
I am used to booking about a 10 date spread when I first book our trips. I knock a day or 2 or 3 off at each end as things like work schedules, school activities, and airfare is available. That being said, we almost ALWAYS end up with the dates I "figured" we'd go and I never really needed to do it that way to begin with. So, I keep telling myself this....that it will all be ok......but I can't help feeling like I just can't NOT do it the way I always have!

I do realize I can only book 7 nights when my booking window first opens, but I could add on days at the end each day thereafter, right? Is the max res 10 nights? Honestly, we're only doing 5-6 nights anyway, so even 7 gives me a day at the beginning and/or a day at the end.

However, in order to do that on my newly acquired DVC points, I'd need to borrow. As I understand it, banked and borrowed points get used first, so my current UY points would get "put back" as I cancel days off, right? Then I could bank those for the next trip.

The other option I can see is to immediately look for a transfer to build myself a big enough cushion that I'd just be rolling over year to year (using my banked points plus the transferred points and my current points as the "cushion" that I'd then bank providing next years cushion. However, I'm only a few weeks away from my first booking and can't count on that happening.

So, how bad of an idea is this? How much of a mess will this leave me in? lol

I do realize I can only book 7 nights when my booking window first opens, but I could add on days at the end each day thereafter, right?
Yes, subject to availability.

Is the max res 10 nights?
Your max stay is only limited by the number of points you have available. The online booking engine will allow you to book up to 30 nights.

.....(snip)........ thereafter, right? Is the max res 10 nights? Honestly, we're only doing 5-6 nights anyway, so even 7 gives me a day at the beginning and/or a day at the end.

However, in order to do that on my newly acquired DVC points, I'd need to borrow. As I understand it, banked and borrowed points get used first, so my current UY points would get "put back" as I cancel days off, right? Then I could bank those for the next trip.
I would advise against borrowing to book "cushion nights" as a hedge against airfare. Even though you could bank current year points to "make up" for those that you borrowed, those banked points will expire at the end of the next use year and cannot be banked again. YMMV - but I would rather pay a few dollars more for airfare (if my dates didn't work out exactly as I planned) than "restrict" next year's points.

The other option I can see is to immediately look for a transfer to build myself a big enough cushion that I'd just be rolling over year to year (using my banked points plus the transferred points and my current points as the "cushion" that I'd then bank providing next years cushion. However, I'm only a few weeks away from my first booking and can't count on that happening.

You'd need a transfer of points that are exactly the same use year and resort as your own to be able to book with those points online. Otherwise, you would have to call MS to use them. If what you intend to book isn't one of the villas one needs to "book the second the 11 month window opens" , then that won't matter much other than the inconvenience.

If it were me, I'd make the best guess re dates, book those dates plus add 1 or 2 at either end (limited to what I could do without borrowing). Then I'd keep an eye out for a point transfer that matched my use year and resort for the future. (Assuming it was worth it to have the "security" of not exactly knowing when we would travel).

Good luck!

I am used to booking about a 10 date spread when I first book our trips. I knock a day or 2 or 3 off at each end as things like work schedules, school activities, and airfare is available. That being said, we almost ALWAYS end up with the dates I "figured" we'd go and I never really needed to do it that way to begin with. So, I keep telling myself this....that it will all be ok......but I can't help feeling like I just can't NOT do it the way I always have!

I do realize I can only book 7 nights when my booking window first opens, but I could add on days at the end each day thereafter, right? Is the max res 10 nights? Honestly, we're only doing 5-6 nights anyway, so even 7 gives me a day at the beginning and/or a day at the end.

So, how bad of an idea is this? How much of a mess will this leave me in? lol
I wouldn't borrow to do this unless you'll need to borrow for your minimum trip and then, just borrow that amount. For others reading, the best way to have done this would have been to bought the extra up front then you'd have more flexibility. Even if one had to do a rental every 3-5 years, it'd be worth it for many people. In this case I'd just book the number of nights you need and possibly cash for he cushion days just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter