I dream of DVC RV and cabin resort at River Country

WeCampDisney

Mouseketeer
I just wanted to give ya'll a heads up about a thread you may want to read over on the Rumers and News board. Page 6 of the thread " Site inspections at River Country". I added a couple of posts about my dream. Maybe I should have just started a thread over here instead.

Benton,

I had proposed an RV DVC in the past on the property across the road from the Fort Wilderness entrance. It would be all pull through sites (extra long and wide) and be named Camp Davy Crockett. It could leverage the existing infrastructure that supports the Fort.

We've had threads here in the past regarding DVC development of the River Country property and while it would be wonderful for us to have Fort-like facilities (sites and cabins), Disney ain't gonna do it. They won't devote prime Bay Lake waterfront property to a project that would only exist at ground level. They can sell the same land over and over and over by building a multi-story resort. DVC sales are easy money to a corporate beast that demands to be fed regularly.

I wish your dream would come true but I would bet tiggerdad's truck that it's not going to. I feel the day is coming when there will be a DVC resort at RC. It's just a matter of when.

When they do, I'm gonna start reserving Full campsites back in the corner of 1800 loop to get as far away from the hotel feel as much as possible.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Good morning Bama Ed. I do remember your idea of Camp Davy Crockett. That is still a wonderful idea. About the prime River Country location, I have 2 questions. First, arent there plenty of other locations around the lakes where they could build more hotels? Second, doesn't Copper Creek have cabins? I am thinking cabins by the lake and High end RV sites across the road. Maybe build an overpass for pedestrians and golf carts to avoid bus traffic. Just curious, did you go to the Rumers board and read my rose colored glasses tainted points for my dream resort? That said, I do respect your thoughts and opinions on all things Fort more than most if not all others. Thanks for your input.

Good morning Bama Ed. I do remember your idea of Camp Davy Crockett. That is still a wonderful idea. About the prime River Country location, I have 2 questions. First, arent there plenty of other locations around the lakes where they could build more hotels? Second, doesn't Copper Creek have cabins? I am thinking cabins by the lake and High end RV sites across the road. Maybe build an overpass for pedestrians and golf carts to avoid bus traffic. Just curious, did you go to the Rumers board and read my rose colored glasses tainted points for my dream resort? That said, I do respect your thoughts and opinions on all things Fort more than most if not all others. Thanks for your input.

Oh sure, I've seen the thread on the Rumors Board (I check the theme park, resorts, dining, rumors, and rundisney boards) but post here for the most part. To your points:

First, sure there is plenty of Bay Lake waterfront property available (and other lakes on property I guess). But with regards to BL, the land to the east of FW (behind the Four Seasons and Golden Oaks), is pretty inaccessible and would take some major work to access. Everything on the long north east side is far away from any existing guest facilities and parks. It's pretty remote and probably has no utilities. The northern edge backs up to the back shop area that supports the BL/7Seas navy flotilla. All of those points means that property, while waterfront, is far less attractive to development when there are other low hanging fruit opportunities like the RC area which is conveniently between two highly developed areas (WL and FW).

The last several DVC properties have all leveraged existing hotel facilities and services along with locations. Dining, parking, recreation, lobby services, transportation, all those services make a DVC addition/teardown/infill easier to justify. Beside the actual rooms/suites and a separate pool, generally little else is needed. CBR, WL, Poly, GF, BLT, all those have recent DVC's have used that strategy. In those cases, the services aspect was incremental; building a stand-alone OKW resort means services and infrastructure are not incremental but require a complete build-out (which makes them more expensive).

Second, sure, Copper Creek has about two dozen very nice cabins. But they are backed by over 300 suites/villas in the original WL DVC building and the half of the hotel that was converted to DVC recently. The cabins are expensive add-ons to the core collection of suites/villas that shoulder the financial load. Sites back across the road would be a very poor utilization of space. In the footprint of 3-4 DVC RV "loops" you could build a vertical resort of a couple floors and thus multiply the financial return exponentially.

Going back to the thought about DVC leveraging existing hotel services, we know a couple things. We know DVC needs a new project each time a buildout nears completion (the beast must be fed). We know with CBR that Disney will do DVC on what was formerly known as Moderate properties. So Disney might add DVC to a POFQ or POR. The rumored/planned Star Wars themed resort might have a DVC side. For a RC DVC to occur, the current plans mean several dominoes have to fall first. As the plans stand, the Mickey's Backyard BBQ pavilion would have to be relocated over by the Settlement TP, the Tri Circle D horse barn would have to be relocated up near the front where the horse rides are done. All those plans have already been drawn up and filed. Only then can you start the DVC construction around RC. When you see indications of those relo activities, that will be the tipoff.

Who knows what the next DVC project will be. But eventually, they'll come back to the RC property. And leverage all the services available at FW.

Finally, I will agree with one comment in the Rumors thread: if Walt himself had not planned a campground at WDW himself as part of the opening day plan, we wouldn't have a Fort Wilderness at all. It was strongly linked with him and so it was completed and expanded. At Disneyland Paris, they have a Camp Davy Crockett (where I got the name from) that is essentially just cabins (no campsites) and it is MILES and MILES away from the DLP hotel and resort area.

I like your idea, don't get me wrong, but I just don't see it in the cards.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Bama Ed, you are the man. Thanks for taking the time to address my questions as to why the dream of DVC River Country RV Resort is not going to happen. You pointed out that other areas on the lakes just aren't good places for resorts. I did not think about that. I do understand and agree with your other points as well. So now moving on I want to ask you this. Knowing when they do build a DVC resort in this location and it will have a Fort tie in , sharing services, what do you think it will be? Maybe a few cabins along the lake and a multi level hotel-lodge similar to Copper Creek? Do you think golf carts will be allowed to travel to and from the Fort? We bought a DVC membership in 2016 with hopes of staying at Grand Californian at Disneyland occasionally and a brief trip flying in to WDW occasionally. Our first DVC stay was last summer at our home resort Animal Kingdom Villas. It was great but you know, the Fort is still by far my favorite place to be. That's why I am dreaming about a Fort DVC.

We have the plans and a video in this thread on the Camping Board if you haven't seen it:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/time-for-river-country-to-be-developed.3668702/

See posts 8 and 9 specifically. They show what the plan will look like (always subject to change).

Golf carts? Sure, I bet FW DVC folks will be able to. Anybody can rent one now (a FW stay is not a requirement). Given the proliferation of golf carts at the Fort, though, if there is any more demand from future DVC guests (and Disney will increase supply to meet demand) for golf carts, Disney may have to build little parking decks at the Outpost and Settlement bus depot areas for golf carts after they finish that third automobile deck at Disney Springs. :drive::rotfl2:(they could include charging stands)

This RC DVC project has been on the books for at least 8 years and a lot of people on the Camping Board have contributed to the thoughts and ideas surrounding it. You just got stuck with me in this thread. :confused3

I don't relish the thought of a Fort DVC but I can't stop it. I keep hoping other DVC opportunities get chosen first though. :rolleyes:

Bama Ed

I wish your dream would come true but I would bet tiggerdad's truck that it's not going to. I feel the day is coming when there will be a DVC resort at RC. It's just a matter of when.

When they do, I'm gonna start reserving Full campsites back in the corner of 1800 loop to get as far away from the hotel feel as much as possible.

Bama Ed

I agree 100%, minus the betting of my truck. Unless, of course, you can help me secure another tow vehicle, or convince my wife to start tent camping.

1800 loop would not be far enough away for me.

1) DVC at The Fort is a given.
2) Too Bad - Too Bad - Too Bad.
3) I think this will ruin the atmosphere and ambiance of The Fort.
4) Campers and RVers are a different type of guest.
. . . they stop and talk to one another
. . . they frequently meet year-after-year to camp and be together
. . . they are more casual toward each other
5) DVCers might be more friendly than normal resort hotel guests, but nowhere close to that of Campers and RVers.

NOTE: Before I get a blast or firestorm from DVCers, we have owned DVC and I have worked at DVC resorts, so my experience is first-hand.

Last edited:
I am a dvc membrer and i primarily stay at the campground because i am getting more and more tired of the dvc entitlement attitude. I love the campground. The good mornings you get from fellow campers when heading to the bathroom half asleep in need of coffee, the lovely snowbirds who pick up your kids and console them when they have fallen and skinned their knees because they were so excited and you are coming as fast as you can with their siblings in tow in full fledge meltdowns because you suggested going to a park and not the campfire movie, and cast members who are actually enjoying their day as opposed to reacting as if they are walking on eggshells. I love our dvc, but the crowd has changed and I am not liking it. Plus our peaceful view at wl now has cabins in it and people telling me I should not be allowed to swim in the copper creek pool even though it was ours first. We bought dvc because we are now in Europe and it made it easier. After all it was almost the fort. But I am just not in it anymore. If they build dvc at river country and do not make it very separate, I think we will stick to Paris where it feels like Disney did in the early 90s.

I would love to see some very nice sites backing up to the lake.....with our rear bedroom window, looking out seeing the Electric Water Parade. Waking to the sun over the lake. Now there would be the life. :sad2:
But again, the number would be limited. To dream is nice. :genie:

I am a dvc membrer and i primarily stay at the campground because i am getting more and more tired of the dvc entitlement attitude. I love the campground. The good mornings you get from fellow campers when heading to the bathroom half asleep in need of coffee, the lovely snowbirds who pick up your kids and console them when they have fallen and skinned their knees because they were so excited and you are coming as fast as you can with their siblings in tow in full fledge meltdowns because you suggested going to a park and not the campfire movie, and cast members who are actually enjoying their day as opposed to reacting as if they are walking on eggshells. I love our dvc, but the crowd has changed and I am not liking it. Plus our peaceful view at wl now has cabins in it and people telling me I should not be allowed to swim in the copper creek pool even though it was ours first. We bought dvc because we are now in Europe and it made it easier. After all it was almost the fort. But I am just not in it anymore. If they build dvc at river country and do not make it very separate, I think we will stick to Paris where it feels like Disney did in the early 90s.

We purchased OKW in 1996 just outside of the FREE Park Passes. Went on first Members Cruise and second Members Cruise. Second was disappointing in that we heard many complaints about Free-Bs not being better and more should have been GIVEN away. Feeling at that time was that many had been bitten by the "entitlement bug." Bought SSR and enjoyed for years then finally had enough and sold out :0) but had to pay gains taxes :0( .

I would love to see some very nice sites backing up to the lake.....with our rear bedroom window, looking out seeing the Electric Water Parade. Waking to the sun over the lake. Now there would be the life. :sad2:
But again, the number would be limited. To dream is nice. :genie:

Can picture it now ----- DVC Bay Lake Lakefront RV Campsite, 1 bazillion points/night or $10,000 and up. Such a deal.

Unfortunately Disney is not going to waste waterfront locations on campsites, as nice as it would be.

Personally, I would like to see expansion of more campsites, and not DVC. Plenty of room for this to be done and not upset the quiet that is what I love at FW.

JohnVN we have actually been using our points over at SSR or AKL the last few Times since most of the entitled Will not go near the Hood (SSR) or the Long bus ride from AKL. Our last trip in february was really great. My Mom (long time member) and i were in line to the concierge at SSR when a lady cut right in front of us. My Mom said excuse me but we were here first. The lady Said well i am a dvc member. My Mom whipped out her blue card and said so am i and asked to see hers. The woman huffed and walked away. My Mom is thinking of selling out except for a 25 point contract to Keep the benefits and have a few nights. I may do the same. We both prefer the fort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter