I Am Considering The Dining Plan...And An Apology

Well I did it! I called my travel agent from AAA and made the changes to AKL with Dining! I am so happy and excited! Now I am at a road block. My CS lunches and my CS breakfasts at the Mara are coming out to be the same amount. So should I use my CS credits for lunches or Mara? I'm thinking lunches because I can get yummy deserts unlike the Mara for breakfast.

Congrats on adding the Dining Plan! I'm sure you'll have lots of fun tweaking your plans for the next year. :)

Disney8704 said:
Well I did it! I called my travel agent from AAA and made the changes to AKL with Dining! I am so happy and excited! Now I am at a road block. My CS lunches and my CS breakfasts at the Mara are coming out to be the same amount. So should I use my CS credits for lunches or Mara? I'm thinking lunches because I can get yummy deserts unlike the Mara for breakfast.
My family found that the lunches worked better for us. My DH is the only one who really likes a big breakfast while on vacation, the rest of us eat light,so OOP breakfast was the better bargain. I would look at the menus, and compare prices. There is a lot of food at some of the CS places, so we also split meals once in a while, sometimes adding a small side ( I could have lived on the soup at Mara) You may be able to do the same.

as far as how to allocate your credits... we found that bigger breakfasts really made us not want lunch (or we were able to get by w/an ice cream or dole whip for lunch) and the CS breakfast platter was easily share-able (sometimes between 3 of us) which then had us sharing a lunch as well...

you'll be surprised how far your credits actually go if you give some thought to how to use them, what to order, what not to order, etc...

an example of this: we travelled w/another family in january... they bought four CS breakfasts every morning, mostly cereal & milk (not getting the bang for their buck at all)... by the last day, they were out of CS credits and were eating rice krispie treats for breakfast (not happily)... our family got the breakfast platter almost every morning and i split it w/the two kids by buying a bagel oop (ds got the bagel and sausage patty, dd got the eggs and biscuit, i ate bacon and potatoes) and using a snack credit (for a big bowl of grapes that we all shared) and dh got his own breakfast... on our last day we had enough unused CS credits that we were each eating a mickey waffle platter... they got a few bowls of cereal that did not go far and we had full bellies and used less credits... imo it's all in the planning! (oh, and yeah, i tried to explain it to my friend-who-refused-to-do-research-or-even-read-the-brochure but she did not want to hear it!)

I don't see where the dining plan is costing you $1,020. Assuming someone's figure of $37.99 per adult that's $75.98 per day times 9 nights - $683.82. I guess you're adding the $300.00 to that? But I don't see you needing to spend $300.00 on just breakfast and some extra snacks! Unless I'm missing something?

There are some places where the appetizer is what I would have ordered for my meal anyway (and I'm not some 100 lb bird like eater!) So it would be easy for me to get an appetizer and DH to get the entree and we split the dessert! My plan when we go in Sept. is for my DD and I to split our TS meals. We split a meal at Kona just last Sat. and didn't even have an appetizer!

The reason for $300 is for breakfast and extra water. Most of it will be going to breakfasts because we will be going to the Mara and Boma 3 times each, GF Cafe, Ohanas and Chef Mickeys. Thats 9 breakfasts. The day we get there we wont be eating breakfast in DW because we will be on a plane that morning and wont get there until afternoon. And then the morning we check out we will go off and eat breakfast 1 last time at the hotel or we just might pick something up at the airport depending on what time our flight is. Being Boma is expensive, we just might eat there 1 time and eat at Mara the remainder of the time. Even if I were to do that, eating at Bomas 1 time, the other restraunts and Mara 5 times, taking what we would order plus tax (not including tips) its $250. And thats going by this yrs rates. I wouldnt be surprised if the prices go up. You would be surprised how fast it all adds up if you dont take the prices into consideration. Before everyone starts making suggestions because I know you will, LOL, we arent gonna change our plans either for breakfast. This is what we wanna do.

Disney Debbie said:
I don't see where the dining plan is costing you $1,020. Assuming someone's figure of $37.99 per adult that's $75.98 per day times 9 nights - $683.82. I guess you're adding the $300.00 to that? But I don't see you needing to spend $300.00 on just breakfast and some extra snacks! Unless I'm missing something?

There are some places where the appetizer is what I would have ordered for my meal anyway (and I'm not some 100 lb bird like eater!) So it would be easy for me to get an appetizer and DH to get the entree and we split the dessert! My plan when we go in Sept. is for my DD and I to split our TS meals. We split a meal at Kona just last Sat. and didn't even have an appetizer!

Disney8704 said:
Before everyone starts making suggestions because I know you will, LOL, we arent gonna change our plans either for breakfast. This is what we wanna do.

i won't suggest... i won't try to change your minds... i'll simply say that after 2 or 3 days of eating like that, it's my guess that you'll change your own minds and adjust accordingly... popcorn::

I'm a confirmed BomaHolic, but even I wouldn't try to eat there that much. Then again, I'm not a big breakfast eater. For me, OOP at a food court or some sweet at the Fountainview will usually work for breakfast. I do try to get in at least one stop at Boma each trip, but would not consider more than twice (one breakfast/one dinner). YMMV.

BTW, the Mara has some fantastic soups and salads that WILL fill you up.

:rose: I'm really trying to use the DP wiseley Here are my plans, bring cereal in bowls from home for 2 days drinks will be from refillable mugs use a sc for a box of donuts to go with cereal with luck it'll last 2 days, 1 day at Donalds breaKFASTAURAS,couple of other donut days , and then get 2 adult platters and 1 kids split between 5 and buy extra meat for 2days last day will depend on whats left. I totally agree that spending wisely is the secret to DDP snacks in the parks will probably be icecream ,sundaes or floats. I want to get the most for my money. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Well there might be a couple days we could go to bakery in one of the parks and grab something. But we will still pay OOP for it. Regardless what way we go, we are still paying OOP for breakfast. But us eating at 1 restraunt everyday doesnt bother us. And being we are eating at different places for breakfast, this will be a 1st for us. Normally we do the restraunt in the hotel and thats it for breakfast. Like last time we ate at the cafe in GF everyday for 10 days, because thats where we were staying and didnt really wanna go anywhere else. We are big on all 3 meals so this is why I cant compare myself really to all of you since most of you eat light breakfasts or no breakfast at all. I never thought about doing donalds for breakfast one morning. Is it any good? Is the rainforest cafe in AK open for breakfast? Never ate there before either.

I have hypoglycemia, low blood sugar, I tend to pass out if I dont eat enough proteins... so I always eat breakfast, never eat at a bakery for breakfast (lol sometimes just smelling donuts makes me dizzy!! :rotfl2: )

We did spend money oop - we bought beer, champagne, dd food - she likes french fries, so we often would buy her some french fries, and then use her TS credit for us at a signature place...

That's why I suggested getting the breakfast egg meals - and I'd pay oop for an extra side of bacon for dd - but even with my appetite we had lots of CS credits - because we'd split our breakfast and our lunch meals - some of the CS lunch meals are a LOT of food... Cosmic Rays at MK, the Morrocco one at Epcot, Tuskar house in Animal Kingdom... no CS food is worth mentioning at MGM :rotfl2: my opinion :rotfl2:

Anyway, just enjoy reading the menus, looking at the food pictures, making plans, it all somehow works out...

dont forget for the water - you can always ask for cups of ice - cups of ice are FREE (hence I will order a large soda NO ice to split with our lunch CS and use our cup of free ice to split our drinks!!)

You do know your eating habits, and it does adjust on the dining plan - it all comes together!! It is a lot of food, so you feel pampered, not deprived!!

Disney8704 said:
We are big on all 3 meals so this is why I cant compare myself really to all of you since most of you eat light breakfasts or no breakfast at all.

I'm afraid I'm going to have the same problem. We tend to eat 3 sit-down meals every day (and several signature restaurants during the trip, but since we are trying to do this trip on the cheap (under $2000 for the 4 of us including transportation, tickets and food for 7 days)we are going to tighten our belts and try to make this work.

Disney8704 said:
. Before everyone starts making suggestions because I know you will, LOL, we arent gonna change our plans either for breakfast. This is what we wanna do.

:rotfl: Honey - ya'll can eat 6 full meals a day if you want to! It doesn't matter to me!! :) I didn't realize you were planning on the big breakfasts everyday. I can't take much more then an egg and some yogurt or cereal myself. So you're right - you'll need that $300.00! :thumbsup2

Certainly everyone needs to do what makes them happy on vacation but I think the point many are trying to make and it is not getting through is, have you been to Disney World and used the dining plan and ate 3 meals a day recently.

3 meals a day at home and 3 meals a day at Disney while on vacation especially during warm weather is not the same thing. I have to wonder if one eats 3 meals a day and one of those is a full service meal, when do you have time for the parks. That is going to take up alot of time.

Also the food portions, I find to be very large and filling. When one is trying to enjoy the parks, do alot of walking possibly in the heat and ride rides, having 3 big meals a day may not be something you truly want to do.

Just something to consider and I think everyone that is thinking that is alot of food is simply going from their recent experiences at the parks.

I think everyone that has used the dining plan recently has found it to be lots of food and that with the heat and humidity, trying to enjoy the parks, that one CS, one TS, and snacks was more than enough.

With the current cost of food I would highly recommend the plan and if you find you are still hungry on certain days, simply pay out of pocket for the least expensive meal or snack that day.

OK I asked my hubby if he wouldnt mind eating small stuff for breakfast a couple times and he said he didnt mind. so with and without snack credits for breakfast where is the best place to go to get breakfast stuff in MGM and Epcot?

Also just wondering but how many of you ate a big breakfast then skipped lunch and ate dinner and maybe a snack inbetween breakfast and dinner? Were you ever hungry or constantly stuffed? Im trying to figure out what would be best for us. Because 3/4 of our breakfasts are buffets so we can eat a lot. And then some of our dinners are buffets as well plus they all are TS. So im thinking we might not even eat lunch just a snack. Also has anyone heard anything about the funnel cakes yet? Are they good to go on the snack credits or no? Me and my hubby can easily split a funnel cake and get stuffed off of that with no problems.

Disney8704 said:
Also just wondering but how many of you ate a big breakfast then skipped lunch and ate dinner and maybe a snack inbetween breakfast and dinner? Were you ever hungry or constantly stuffed? Im trying to figure out what would be best for us. Because 3/4 of our breakfasts are buffets so we can eat a lot. And then some of our dinners are buffets as well plus they all are TS. So im thinking we might not even eat lunch just a snack. Also has anyone heard anything about the funnel cakes yet? Are they good to go on the snack credits or no? Me and my hubby can easily split a funnel cake and get stuffed off of that with no problems.

We stayed at the AKL in January, and were on the concierge level so we used the lounge for breakfast. We only had fruit and cereal, or maybe a muffin. My DH thought it would not be enough, so he went to Mara, but that was only one time....he definately had enough food on the plan with out a full BF also. He is 6'5" and huge.. a big appetite. The women in our group shared CS lunch several times when my DS and DIL joined us, and it was still plenty.

I understand your anxiety about planning for enough to satisfy you throughout the day, because we are folks who enjoy 3 meals while on vacation, a treat because I do not offer 3 full meals at home. I would suggest that you go back to the menus and decide which are the least expensive for an OOP expense. Make your ADR' s with the TS meals that are the most expensive, and check out CS meals in the parks and resorts where you will be visiting. You still have a snack and there is a snack thread here somewhere with the updated list. We liked the CS for lunch because we did not use our credits for breakfast, it was the least expensive meal for us. Some CS such as Cosmic Rays ( there is a thread on CS meals that had a lot of info) have meals that will easily feed two....my DH gave up and there was plenty for another person and dessert that no one could finish. That kind of meal will leave an additional CS credit for one of your CS breakfasts. Just keep reading reviews and by the time you need to make your ADR's you will have a good idea where you stand. Have fun!

I would not worry, you have allocated funds for additional meals so once you get there, perhaps find that 2 meals and a snack is enough the additional money will be a bonus.

"with and without snack credits for breakfast where is the best place to go to get breakfast stuff in MGM and Epcot?"

MGM is the most limited park for CS/snacks IMO. H&V has a new character breakfast buffet that I don't know about, but doesn't sound appealing. I wouldn't try it at MGM. Fountainview Cafe at EPCOT is a good place for a smallish breakfast - and a lot of their stuff is considered a snack credit. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1109080

"Also just wondering but how many of you ate a big breakfast then skipped lunch and ate dinner and maybe a snack inbetween breakfast and dinner? Were you ever hungry or constantly stuffed? Im trying to figure out what would be best for us. Because 3/4 of our breakfasts are buffets so we can eat a lot. And then some of our dinners are buffets as well plus they all are TS. So im thinking we might not even eat lunch just a snack. Also has anyone heard anything about the funnel cakes yet? Are they good to go on the snack credits or no? Me and my hubby can easily split a funnel cake and get stuffed off of that with no problems."

On the day I eat a Boma Breakfast (or any other big breakfast), I rarely eat a full lunch. I may pick up one of the big pretzels or some other small snack for lunch and that holds me over to dinner with no problems. Most CS have smaller items as sides, so you could always get one meal, add a side (may count as a snack) and pay OOP for another drink and split the whole thing. My mom eats such a small amount, she usually eats a child's meal (which we pay OOP for). I've eaten a child's plate for lunch on days I wasn't really hungry at lunch ...

Go with the flow. You have the $$ budgeted, but you are probably going to be fuller than you imagine (especially with the heat!). You won't want to eat a big lunch in the middle of the day and then tote around that full stomach in the heat ...

Disney8704 said:

Do you get to the parks at rope drop or do you and DH like to sleep in a bit and stay till close? If your sleep in a bit, get up, get ready and have a late lunch/brunch, or a very early lunch, then use the snack credit in the middle of the afternoon. Then you can do dinner around 6-7 and be fine.

If you really must must must do breakfast, why dont you consider bringing or getting some donuts, muffins etc for your room, and/or use the snack options on those yummy pastries out in the parks? Sure would save a ton of money and time. I am like you in that we are doing one sit down breakfast, but at our hotel, and only because were not going to the parks on that day. We will be taking lots of breaks, and be done with all park activities on the days we go to other resorts to eat. I think i've read that you stay till close everyday and do EMH's also.

I too agree with the above poster who said, do it as you have planned, but i think that after a day or two you will find breakfast, or lunch will be a mute point. The heat coupled with all that food sitting on your stomach just weighs you down literally.

If you plan on eating those huge breakfasts, then I think either

a. your going to find Lunch is ruined or not wanted

or

b. You'll put off lunch later and later until youve eaten lunch to soon before your dinner ADR, ruining that meal.

We are big eaters in this family, as you can tell by my siggy i've got wieght to lose, and my hubby weighs 270lbs. There is no way we could stomach a sit down breakfast if we eat on the dining plan. Maybe your different.

Disney8704 said:

If you split a funnel cake and get stuffed I really do not think you will get hungry on a daily basis with the dining plan and it will save you a ton of money. We find at Disney, due to all the excitement, change in sleeping habits, all the walking and riding, which actually makes us less hungry, that if we have one table service meal per day, one counter service and throw in a few snacks we are full to the brim.

So if I did a full service breakfast, especially a buffet we would have a light snack around lunch time and a counter service for dinner. Many of the counter service meals are very filling. There is actually a discussion on this forum about that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter