Hurricane warnings/watches and WDW employees?

Forevermarypoppins

DIS Veteran
I've always been a weather watcher whether it's local, my state or anywhere across the country. I've always wondered about WDW and what occurs during a Hurricane when it's in the area.
Currently, it looks like Milton will cross over WDW in some fashion. I am curious as what does the Disney Co expect of its employees during an event like this? Obviously there will be guests staying there and possibly staying longer than they intended. If there are guests than those guests will need employees for services at some time. Does anyone know an employee who has been thru a situation like is, about to happen? do they ask for 24/7 stay in place? do they provide rooms for the employees to sleep and shower? Do they call and ask for volunteer attendance so others can stay home and do as needed for their own families? I would think within a certain timeframe no one wants to be driving on the roads. I'm interested in knowing.

I'm interested in knowing.
CM's sign up to be on "ride out" teams for hurricanes. This is something they indicate in their employment profile that they want to do. If a hurricane appears to be pending and Disney thinks ride out teams are needed, my understanding is they contact those who signed up (probably via email) a couple days ahead and double check they are still available for being on the ride out teams. I think they can decline if their situation has changed. I believe yesterday they started contacting CMs with their assignments. I think they're given housing of some sort and probably food. No idea how their work hours are counted. My son is a CM and so I've gleaned this from him.

He used to work at MMRR and he said they (at least sometimes?) would have ride out teams stay in the attractions if indoor was his understanding, in case there are problems. He was signed up to be on ride out teams up until May but took himself off the list currently due to some other obligations.

I also get the sense that a lot of the college program participants like to sign up for these ride out teams (he was a CP last year before he became a CM). So many of them could be young and not used to hurricanes and probably a bit excited to see what happens - haha! But these kids are Disney trained and know it is a big responsibility. Hope everyone stays safe - I know it is making me nervous.

CM's sign up to be on "ride out" teams for hurricanes. This is something they indicate in their employment profile that they want to do. If a hurricane appears to be pending and Disney thinks ride out teams are needed, my understanding is they contact those who signed up (probably via email) a couple days ahead and double check they are still available for being on the ride out teams. I think they can decline if their situation has changed. I believe yesterday they started contacting CMs with their assignments. I think they're given housing of some sort and probably food. No idea how their work hours are counted. My son is a CM and so I've gleaned this from him.

He used to work at MMRR and he said they (at least sometimes?) would have ride out teams stay in the attractions if indoor was his understanding, in case there are problems. He was signed up to be on ride out teams up until May but took himself off the list currently due to some other obligations.

I also get the sense that a lot of the college program participants like to sign up for these ride out teams (he was a CP last year before he became a CM). So many of them could be young and not used to hurricanes and probably a bit excited to see what happens - haha! But these kids are Disney trained and know it is a big responsibility. Hope everyone stays safe - I know it is making me nervous.
That is exactly how it’s done. They are put up in hotel rooms, at max room capacity and they are compensated very well. Cms who live in apartments, no kids, like doing it because the biggest issue in central Florida during a hurricane is power. They rather stay, sleep at work with AC than sweating it out in an apartment. lol.

New DISboards Posts

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest