How vital are lunch reservations?

cadien

DIS Veteran
Hi!

Reservations opened yesterday for our first-ever trip. I was able to make the couple of breakfast and dinner reservations we wanted but ended up skipping lunch. There are a couple days that we do want to try table service places, but I really don't like the idea of committing to a specific time. Especially when we've never been before and have no idea what we'll end up doing and how long it will take. What are the odds we'll end up at a random kiosk instead?

The restaurants are Yak and Yeti and Spice Road Table. In early February, the week between the dance and the cheer groups. ETA: Just three people.

Last edited:
If you know you want to eat at these restaurants, then I would make ADRs. The need for an ADR at lunch varies greatly by restaurant and time of year. Also, it will be more difficult if you go right at noon rather than eating earlier or later.

For the two locations you mentioned, I would definitely book Yak and Yeti now. It tends to book up. You likely wouldn't have an issue getting a table at Spice Road Table as a walk-up.

Yak and Yeti QS is a good option if you don’t want to be tied down to a Yak and Yeti ADR. If you really want to go inside and have the table service experience I would book the ADR.

Yak & Yeti Quick Serve is terrible, no place to sit, dumpy, like eating at a roadside picnic table form the 50's, and the food is no good.
Yak & Yeti Restaurant restaurant is beautiful, fully immersive dining and decor. The food is very good, and everything is great. Request a table upstairs on the porch, near a window. You can look out on that part of Asia, and people watch, as well as enjoy the restaurant's decor. It is very relaxing for a mid-day break. I recommend an early afternoon time, like 1:30-3:00. Join Landry's Select club, and you will get a card in the mail that gives priority seating above those with ADRs. You can walk in when you are ready to eat, show them your card, and you will be seated so quickly. It is great!! Take pictures of the restaurant on your way out. http://www.landrysinc.com/selectclub.asp

We eat lunch at Spice Roads just about every trip and have never made an ADR. We just walk up and ask to be seated outside. We do eat lunch a little later, say around 1:30 or 2 but have never had a problem.

If you know you want to eat at these restaurants, then I would make ADRs. The need for an ADR at lunch varies greatly by restaurant and time of year. Also, it will be more difficult if you go right at noon rather than eating earlier or later.

For the two locations you mentioned, I would definitely book Yak and Yeti now. It tends to book up. You likely wouldn't have an issue getting a table at Spice Road Table as a walk-up.
his ma be a silly question, what is an ADR?

If it's your first Disney trip I would avoid overplanning for the meals. You can't really estimate how long you will be at a certain park, which attractions you will spend the most time at, what looks appealing, etc. Excessive planning usually creates more stress and takes away from the enjoyment of your vacation. There are plenty of places to eat.

Restaurant reviews I have read seem very dependent on personal preference. At a given restaurant, some thought the service was too fast, while others too slow..........so most of that you need to decide based on what you see and experience first-hand.

Yak & Yeti QS is not comparable to Yak & Yeti TS. I would make the reservation. Are you using something like Touring Plans to help you customize a plan? It is really a big help and can help you figure out how much time everything will take.

Yak & Yeti Quick Serve is terrible, no place to sit, dumpy, like eating at a roadside picnic table form the 50's, and the food is no good.
Yak & Yeti Restaurant restaurant is beautiful, fully immersive dining and decor. The food is very good, and everything is great. Request a table upstairs on the porch, near a window. You can look out on that part of Asia, and people watch, as well as enjoy the restaurant's decor. It is very relaxing for a mid-day break. I recommend an early afternoon time, like 1:30-3:00. Join Landry's Select club, and you will get a card in the mail that gives priority seating above those with ADRs. You can walk in when you are ready to eat, show them your card, and you will be seated so quickly. It is great!! Take pictures of the restaurant on your way out. http://www.landrysinc.com/selectclub.asp
I have the Landry's card but it makes ne nervous to not have an ADR. We use it at Rainforest. I would prefer to not have an ADR, but to just go when we are ready. So you usually don't have to wait in much of a line if you just present your card at check in?

I have the Landry's card but it makes ne nervous to not have an ADR. We use it at Rainforest. I would prefer to not have an ADR, but to just go when we are ready. So you usually don't have to wait in much of a line if you just present your card at check in?
I usually go between 1:30-3:00 in the afternoon, which is kind of after lunch rush, I think, but the lobby is still always full of people waiting. I show my card, and usually have to wait about 5-15 minutes, but I also request a specific location (on the porch upstairs, by the window). If I didn't care where I sit, I would probably be seated quicker. It would depend on your party size too. But you do get seated ahead of people who have ADRs. You can't beat that!

Totally agree. Unless you enjoy eating off of a trash can or endlessly walking around juggling a tray of food while looking for a table, I would avoid the QS Yak and Yeti.

I can’t really comment on food, since it was cold and inedible by the time I finally found a place to sit (which was with another family...)

Yak & Yeti QS is not comparable to Yak & Yeti TS. I would make the reservation. Are you using something like Touring Plans to help you customize a plan? It is really a big help and can help you figure out how much time everything will take.
I'm using Touring Plans but it's not nearly as helpful for our AK day. For several reasons. The QS definitely doesn't appeal to us as much as the TS.

The only lunch reservation that we make is Be Our Guest for lunch at the MK. Each park has quick service options, and many of them we really like. At the Animal Kingdom we like Flame Tree Barbeque and Satuli Canteen. At the Magic Kingdom we like Columbia Harbor House and Be Our Guest - Be Our Guest does need a reservation for Breakfast, lunch or dinner. At Epcot we love Les Halles in the French Pavillion, the restaurant in Morrocco and the quick service Mexican restaurant - all really yummy ! The only park that we struggle in is the Hollywood Studios. We usually make do at the Backlot Express. We were looking forward to Woody's Lunchbox but the turkey and meat have a smoked flavor and my family doesn't like smoked anything. This time we are trying something different and eating Charcuterie for lunch at the Baseline Tap House. We do make up for it at dinner when we eat at the 50's Prime time Cafe or the Sci Fi Dine In. Make sure to have all of your dinners reserved, but do not worry about lunch !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter