How to make a trip report?

obisbondgirl

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

I've just returned from a trip to Disney World, and would like to post my first ever trip report on these boards. But I notice a lot of the trip reports I read are very "fancy" aha. They have a table of contents with links to further posts, and different colours, and adding pictures etc. I'm in my 20's & consider myself fairly computer literate aha. But I also like having instructions or a guide to follow when I'm doing something for the first time. Is there a guide to formatting posts on these boards? I want people reading my report to have a nice experience lol, not a wall of text aha.

Hey there! I've never seen a "guide" per se (edit: there's this awesome post stickied to the PTR board that's really useful!), but I can help you out with anything you might need to get started!

We'll start with colors: These are the easiest! There should be a bar with different little letters and symbols at the top of the box you type your posts in. You should see the letter "A" with a gray bar beneath it. Highlight the text you want to change colors for, then click that box and select whichever color you'd like to use! Try playing around with all the formatting tools, you can have a lot of fun with them!

Now we'll go to table of contents: So immediately after you make your thread, type "Reserved!" in the next post so that you can edit it later to add your contents. Here's how to make an actual table of contents:
  • At the bottom of the post you'd like to make a link for, click the gray number at the bottom right corner of the post. For example: the post at the bottom of my post is #2.
  • When you click that little gray number, a box will pop up with a few different links. Highlight, right click, and "Copy" the one inside the yellow bar on top.
  • Go back to the post where your table of contents is.
  • Type "#(update number)(title of the update)" so for example-- if you went to Epcot on your third day, your third updated might be "#3- Our Fun Epcot Day!"
  • Remember that formatting bar you used to make colors? So highlight what you just typed, and click the little metal link in the formatting bar. It should be in the third subsection of the formatting bar.
  • Right click and paste your link into the box that pops up and hit "Insert"
  • You're all done with your first table of contents entry!

And now we'll do pictures: There are a few ways to do this. Personally, I think the easiest way is to upload all your pictures to a hosting website-- I use Shutterfly. With Shutterfly, you can open up the picture you want to use to it's full size, right click and choose "Copy" and then paste it right into your TR!

Let me know if you need help with anything else! I can't wait to read your TR!

Hey there! I've never seen a "guide" per se (edit: there's this awesome post stickied to the PTR board that's really useful!), but I can help you out with anything you might need to get started!

We'll start with colors: These are the easiest! There should be a bar with different little letters and symbols at the top of the box you type your posts in. You should see the letter "A" with a gray bar beneath it. Highlight the text you want to change colors for, then click that box and select whichever color you'd like to use! Try playing around with all the formatting tools, you can have a lot of fun with them!

Now we'll go to table of contents: So immediately after you make your thread, type "Reserved!" in the next post so that you can edit it later to add your contents. Here's how to make an actual table of contents:
  • At the bottom of the post you'd like to make a link for, click the gray number at the bottom right corner of the post. For example: the post at the bottom of my post is #2.
  • When you click that little gray number, a box will pop up with a few different links. Highlight, right click, and "Copy" the one inside the yellow bar on top.
  • Type "#(update number)(title of the update)" so for example-- if you went to Epcot on your third day, your third updated might be "#3- Our Fun Epcot Day!"
  • Remember that formatting bar you used to make colors? So highlight what you just typed, and click the little metal link in the formatting bar. It should be in the third subsection of the formatting bar.

And now we'll do pictures: There are a few ways to do this. Personally, I think the easiest way is to upload all your pictures to a hosting website-- I use Shutterfly. With Shutterfly, you can open up the picture you want to use to it's full size, right click and choose "Copy" and then paste it right into your TR!

Wow thank you for your reply Newsies! Very glad I asked this question aha because I definitely wouldn't have figured out the table of contents part myself! I do think I've figured out changing the text formats so far aha.

Wow thank you for your reply Newsies! Very glad I asked this question aha because I definitely wouldn't have figured out the table of contents part myself! I do think I've figured out changing the text formats so far aha.

I hope I helped!! Can't wait to see your Report, the TR boards are a lot of fun!

Now we'll go to table of contents: So immediately after you make your thread, type "Reserved!" in the next post so that you can edit it later to add your contents. Here's

to make an actual table of contents:

Thanks for the tip...still don't quiet get it all. But it sure helps to get started..

following! So I can easily find this when I start my first trip report in a few weeks!!

Can I add photos to a TR directly from my computer without putting them on a host such as shutterfly?

Can I add photos to a TR directly from my computer without putting them on a host such as shutterfly?

You can! Down on the bottom right next to where it says "Post Reply" is another button that says "Upload a File". Click that and follow the prompts :) Hope that helps!!

Editing to add...there is a limit that way, but I'm not sure what it is. I do most of my photos via Flickr and only upload gifs directly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter