How "last minute" can we plan?

Jess_S

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone, I am considering Aulani for a 15th anniversary surprise for my husband this summer (late July or August). We just cancelled a trip to Asia due to coronavirus, which has made me cautious about booking another trip until the situation develops more. I don't want to get my heart set on another trip and then wind up cancelling. (We are also still waiting for refunds on the other trip right now).

If I were to wait until April or May to plan an Aulani trip, would we be planning too late? Other than the room, I am hoping to book the luau, character breakfast and spa. Would these things still be available? Is there anything else to keep in mind for last minute booking?

If my understanding is correct, American is waving change fees for all tickets purchased between now and March 16, regardless of destination. If that is the case, you're better off booking now. Here's a link to the article: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...ecause-of-the-coronavirus-outbreak-2020-03-03

If you're planning on using DVC points, you'll find little availability.

I would go ahead and make the character breakfast reservations now because you can cancel for free. I'm not sure about the luau and spa, though.

The only attraction on Oahu that you need to plan and book ahead is Pearl Harbor.

Thank you. We wouldn't be booking anything until April or May, as I mentioned.

My understanding is that DVC fills up 7 months in advance, so we would be paying cash for the room. Is it doable to book a month or two out, or would we wind up having a less than optimal experience?

United is also waiving change fees if you book your tickets by March 31 for travel this year.

My experience with our Asia trip was that most vendors waived cancellation fees if you were willing to push the issue. We got back all but $200.

It sounds like the consensus is against last minute booking? Is that a correct read?

You can book the character breakfast and spa appointments now. They don't take a deposit or have a cancellation policy, and neither are tied to a reservation. If you don't end up going, you can cancel (or change) them at any time. Not sure if the luau requires pre-payment so I can't speak to that.

IMO, the only challenge with booking "late" would be that you likely will not be able to get a cabana at that point, if that's something you want. Not sure whether they take a deposit for that, but you could try calling now and reserve it if they don't.

You can book the character breakfast and spa appointments now. They don't take a deposit or have a cancellation policy, and neither are tied to a reservation. If you don't end up going, you can cancel (or change) them at any time. Not sure if the luau requires pre-payment so I can't speak to that.

IMO, the only challenge with booking "late" would be that you likely will not be able to get a cabana at that point, if that's something you want. Not sure whether they take a deposit for that, but you could try calling now and reserve it if they don't.
FYI, they do not take deposits on the cabanas or the executive lanai.

I booked in late January or early February for mid March last year. I was able to book the luau. I did not get a character meal, but we were able to put our name on the waiting list (Day of) and still got in. Summer is obviously probably busier, but I think it’ll still work out.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's helpful to know about the waitlists. I have been doing more research about the resort and I am really hoping we will be able to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter