How is Space Mountain DL different?

He also hates Pirates and we think it is because of the dark. He tells us that they are going to eat him. He gets forced on that periodically since his parents and I want to go on it and somehow he always comes out alive!

Poor kid.
My son hated HM until he experienced the overlay. Skellington makes it safe for him. He was convinced his dad and I were very stupid to not notice the people randomly screaming in the stretching room wi the normal version.

TOT was similar because we “died and are blue skeletons.” No amount of “are we skeletons now?” would convince him, for years. He likes the change to GG. I despise it (and the movie and most marvel) so now we’ve reversed lol

Reactions: EmJ
Poor kid.
My son hated HM until he experienced the overlay. Skellington makes it safe for him. He was convinced his dad and I were very stupid to not notice the people randomly screaming in the stretching room wi the normal version.

TOT was similar because we “died and are blue skeletons.” No amount of “are we skeletons now?” would convince him, for years. He likes the change to GG. I despise it (and the movie and most marvel) so now we’ve reversed lol
LOL.
My oldest is a huge guardians fan. We're planning a WDW trip for next year (when she'll be 10) and she's insistent she won't like TOT because she didn't like it before (when she was 4). It's creepy she says.
And all of my kids LoVE Haunted Holiday but they just don't care for regular Haunted Mansion. And they're not generally afraid of the dark. Kids are hard to figure out, or just plain silly, sometimes. :rotfl2:

Last week, rode SM in DL for the first time in about 5 yrs. It was called Hyperspace Mountain and had a Star Wars theme. I'm not sure if that's a temporary overlay or if it's going to be permanent but it was cool!

I am so not a fan of Star Wars, but I LOVE Hyperspace Mountain! Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be going to the parks this summer... so not sure when we'll ride it again! BUMMER!

Poor kid.

Since you've got a little one, maybe you could answer a related-ish question for me. (I've considered asking on a new thread, but I feel like I post so many threads, I'm getting annoying!) My son's only real issues are being wet, which is solvable with a poncho, towel, and change of clothes, and loud noises. At concerts and things at home, he wears Banz brand ear muffs, which are extremely snug on his head. They are far more secure than my own eyeglasses and realistically would not fly off on probably anything, but Universal has a strict "no loose articles" policy on a lot of rides. Is Disney the same?

If it matters, we are not riding Incredicoaster, GOG, Grizzly River Run, or the Matterhorn, and can pass on Space Mountain. He also will not ride Indy.

He will ride Gadget's Go Coaster, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Mad Tea Party, Haunted Mansion, Smugglers' Run, Star Tours, Radiator Springs, Toy Story Midway Mania, Pirates, Splash Mountain, and Astroblasters.

We are working with him on earplugs, and although he is willing, his ears are still a touch to small for even the pediatric size.

Since you've got a little one, maybe you could answer a related-ish question for me. (I've considered asking on a new thread, but I feel like I post so many threads, I'm getting annoying!) My son's only real issues are being wet, which is solvable with a poncho, towel, and change of clothes, and loud noises. At concerts and things at home, he wears Banz brand ear muffs, which are extremely snug on his head. They are far more secure than my own eyeglasses and realistically would not fly off on probably anything, but Universal has a strict "no loose articles" policy on a lot of rides. Is Disney the same?

If it matters, we are not riding Incredicoaster, GOG, Grizzly River Run, or the Matterhorn, and can pass on Space Mountain. He also will not ride Indy.

He will ride Gadget's Go Coaster, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Mad Tea Party, Haunted Mansion, Smugglers' Run, Star Tours, Radiator Springs, Toy Story Midway Mania, Pirates, Splash Mountain, and Astroblasters.

We are working with him on earplugs, and although he is willing, his ears are still a touch to small for even the pediatric size.
I've seen small kids with the large headphones on. I assumed they were wearing for sensory issues. Disney will tell people to take hats and glasses off for rides, but they don't force it. As such you'll see people's items lost under the track in Toon Town.

...IMHO, it's faster, longer, smoother, and darker....the queue lines are way different too:

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

...IMHO, it's faster, longer, smoother, and darker....the queue lines are way different too:

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance
Thanks! Those ride vehicles look WAY better than what I remember at WDW. I'm going to put this on our list as a potential Day 4 attraction, if we can get a FastPass. I'll have a good idea by then whether Boy will be able to handle the motion and dark.

...the ride vehicles are different. The WDW ones are a four to a 'rocket' and they sit behind one another.

I do not like Disneyland's Space Mountain. I've rode it three times and I always feel like I wrecking my neck. I don't like that you sit side by side with other people. I feel like I am going to bonk heads with someone. I am going to try it one more time though this summer. You know, just to make sure I hate it lol

I did like Magic Kingdoms Space Mountain. But I like the Matterhorn and the way you sit in them.

Def the worst ride at WDW is Space Mountain next to Buzz. Given that Tron is opening next to it, they SHOULD either re-do the entire experience like at DL or get rid of it. It's really that bad. I rode it this week a few times during my trip and there were times half the lights were on. It truly is a complete 180 experience from DL, especially with the themed rides DL adds few times a year. Hyperspace and Ghost Galaxy especially blow it away.

Matterhorn is a rough ride, but because it is in a mountain, you kinda expect a bobsled ride in a mountain to be rough, so I am totally into Matterhorn now and accept the roughness.

Once TRON comes out, people will just walk right by it. I hope they re-do the track and experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter