How does this work?

Chili327

DIS Veteran
Can I post a question in here or is this for listings only? (maybe a mod can move it if incorrect?)

1. How does renting privately work?

2. Do most of you also list your points and rent them thru a rental company?

3. Is it better to rent your points or to sell a contract you may not use as much anymore(still using DVC, but not a specific contract)

4. Is swapping better than selling than buying? (Is it just less hassle)

Thanks

Moved your question to the Member Services Board. I'm sure you will get lots of answers there. (And yes, the Rent/Transfer Board is reserved just for rental listings).

1. Renting privately: list the points you have on a board like this one or one of the many other groups available and people will contact you to see if dates are available. Agree a price per point, and make the booking for that person with them named as guests on the reservation. Send them the reservation number, and then finalise payment. Simple!
2. You may get more per point if you rent privately, but it can take time, so much easier to go through a rental company. I do both.
3. I would rather rent points than sell a contract that I won’t be using that year. If you don’t think you’ll ever use it though then that changes things.
4. Not sure what you mean by swapping better then selling?

1. Renting privately: list the points you have on a board like this one or one of the many other groups available and people will contact you to see if dates are available. Agree a price per point, and make the booking for that person with them named as guests on the reservation. Send them the reservation number, and then finalise payment. Simple!
2. You may get more per point if you rent privately, but it can take time, so much easier to go through a rental company. I do both.
3. I would rather rent points than sell a contract that I won’t be using that year. If you don’t think you’ll ever use it though then that changes things.
4. Not sure what you mean by swapping better then selling?
Awesome, thanks for the reply.

Swapping vs Selling meaning better value to swap to a non DVC trip. Is it better to rent out points then purchase the new accommodations or swap with some of the rental companies.

I have a small BRV contract that I got the use out of and don’t really need anymore, so I have put it up for sale, but my plan is to purchase some SAP type contract & I started thinking rather than sell it, maybe just rent the points (or use them if needed) might be a better plan so I’m interested in how the rental market works. Not looking for major profit each year, just don’t want to get stuck paying dues and not able to rent them out (nor use them)
Is there enough rental business to not worry about that?
Can I book something (as a backup) and still have the points available for rent? (with a rental company)

Thanks

It’s always better value to rent your points and then pay cash for any non-DVC stays.

As for the rental market, it really depends on how you price the points and how many you have. I have rented a few this year as I bought some loaded resale contracts which I couldn’t use myself. There was plenty of demand at the $16-18 per point mark.

No reason why you can’t book something as a back up until you find a renter for the points, but keep in mind you will have to cancel that reservation when you make the booking for the renter.

So if i have June 2025 points to rent, i would contact a rental company around June of 2024?
Yes, I think some people will start looking 11-12 months out. How many points are on the contract? It may be more difficult to rent if only a small number unless you are willing to borrow from 2026

Yes, I think some people will start looking 11-12 months out. How many points are on the contract? It may be more difficult to rent if only a small number unless you are willing to borrow from 2026
Yes, only 50 points. Will that be harder to get rented out?

Yes, only 50 points. Will that be harder to get rented out?
Not necessarily, it just limits your audience a little, as it will have to be someone that wants 3 nights or less… I’ve had some people only want 1 or 2 nights though so should be fine 😊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter