How do you organize your plans....Dining, FPs etc.?

WishesQueen

DIS Veteran
I know that this is crazy, but I have always organized my Disney plans and dining reservations by typing them out and color coding them.:surfweb: I love My Disney Experience app, but I still need paper in my hand.

My family thinks I am the biggest geek, but when we're traveling they constantly want to see the itinerary...lol.::yes::

The other day while reading tons of threads I stumbled on a great color coded spread sheet someone posted, I thought I watched the thread but I didn't. It was perfect it had park hours, FPs, Dining Reservations and it was color coded.:worship:

This now made me wondering how everyone organized their plans, because after seeing that it looks like a new a look for mine!:woohoo:

I am a notepad person. I am not super organized though, and do not get lost in planning, so all I do is make a list of the days we are there and add a park for each day. I then add our meals to the park days, and after that FP for each day. Thats it. If there are shows that my family is interested in I add them, along with parade or fireworks times.

To plan the whole trip I made an Excel sheet that includes calendar, daily schedule and notes (Park times, ADRs, FPs, places to snack - colored coded to highlight the one that has Starbucks). This one I polish as I go.
Then I've a single sheet PDF with the daily info about the park, the ADRs with time & menus, the FP+ & all the other attractions/rides. This one goes in my backpack with the daily ADR confirmations prints & park map.
Finally I also use the WDW Vacation Checklist and the Packing List (both I've modified according to what I need).

Attaching pics so you can see my current docs (old versions tho, coz like I said, I'm constantly editing xD)
Pack.jpg Full.jpg Daily.jpg Checklist.jpg

I am a notepad person. I am not super organized though, and do not get lost in planning, so all I do is make a list of the days we are there and add a park for each day. I then add our meals to the park days, and after that FP for each day. Thats it. If there are shows that my family is interested in I add them, along with parade or fireworks times.
After using several different methods that mostly revolved around spreadsheets I've gone back to the TNT of paper and pencil too. Two adjacent pages in a lined notebook does the trick for a 6 day trip and allows me to change ADRs, FPs and special shows with ease. The notebook stays at home though as the finalized info is listed in the MDE app and is available to all members of our party on their phones/laptops/I pads.

Last edited:
I know that this is crazy, but I have always organized my Disney plans and dining reservations by typing them out and color coding them.:surfweb: I love My Disney Experience app, but I still need paper in my hand.

My family thinks I am the biggest geek, but when we're traveling they constantly want to see the itinerary...lol.::yes::

The other day while reading tons of threads I stumbled on a great color coded spread sheet someone posted, I thought I watched the thread but I didn't. It was perfect it had park hours, FPs, Dining Reservations and it was color coded.:worship:

This now made me wondering how everyone organized their plans, because after seeing that it looks like a new a look for mine!:woohoo:
We do more or less the same.
We have spread sheets populated with ADR’s FP & parks we are at.
It’s colour coded to.
We use it for about 80% of the trip.
The other 20% we enjoy free days with no planning.
These days we go off property or just visit the other great resorts WDW have.
The spreadsheets we print out & laminate to take with us.

We have great fun planning it that way.

Just back from a quick adult only trip and MDE app was spotty at best. Thank goodness for my old school printed paper of plans!!!

I wish it was more compact I was thinking maybe trying to figure out something straight across, mine in top to bottom of the paper.

Anyone willing to share some layout plans?

Just back from a quick adult only trip and MDE app was spotty at best. Thank goodness for my old school printed paper of plans!!!

I wish it was more compact I was thinking maybe trying to figure out something straight across, mine in top to bottom of the paper.

Anyone willing to share some layout plans?

Hi Annette :wave:

I put all our plans in my IPhone calendar. It’s easy to view in list form when you select “today” . I use lots of emojis so it’s visually pretty and just makes me happy when I see it. I use the number emojis in the “location” line to keep track of our dining credits and the confirmation #s down under the notes section. Prior to our trip, I insert our FP+ but they move and vary once were onsite.

I also keep an itinerary in my Notes App. I list our plans by Day with additional notes there like new snacks or a souvenir to pick up.

I used to do it all on paper but now realize my phone is always in my hand. It’s just so much easier to have it there. I do agree that MDE is not reliable and you do need a back up.

My one tip I do love that someone mentioned is to take a screen shot of your FP+ for the day. It’s so much easier pulling up a picture to quickly verify your time than login to MDE. This is just for reference on the day of.

I put all our plans in my IPhone calendar. It’s easy to view in list form when you select “today” . I use lots of emojis so it’s visually pretty and just makes me happy when I see it. I use the number emojis in the “location” line to keep track of our dining credits and the confirmation #s down under the notes section. Prior to our trip, I insert our FP+ but they move and vary once were onsite.

I also keep an itinerary in my Notes App. I list our plans by Day with additional notes there like new snacks or a souvenir to pick up.

I used to do it all on paper but now realize my phone is always in my hand. It’s just so much easier to have it there. I do agree that MDE is not reliable and you do need a back up.

My one tip I do love that someone mentioned is to take a screen shot of your FP+ for the day. It’s so much easier pulling up a picture to quickly verify your time than login to MDE. This is just for reference on the day of.

Hi Goofygal its been a long time!:wave2:

Thats a great idea....all of it.

Do you find annoying putting all the information into your phone? I am so much quicker on my laptop then my phone...lol:surfweb: . I wonder if you type it out in the calendar will it transfer to the phone? I know it works the opposite way

Thanks for the help, I love the idea of taking a screen shot. My kids do that all the time so they find information on their phone quickly.

Paper first, with lots of scribbling

Then as plans take shape, I make a google doc spreadsheet, which I can access on the Drive app on my phone or from any computer :)

I keep my trip budget in the same workbook on another tab so that if plans change I can update our budget at the same time.

I play around with TouringPlans once I have FP and dining booked, and then jot down a general agenda for each day. THAT goes into my Notes on my phone, just for quick reference :)

Hi Goofygal its been a long time!:wave2:

Thats a great idea....all of it.

Do you find annoying putting all the information into your phone? I am so much quicker on my laptop then my phone...lol:surfweb: . I wonder if you type it out in the calendar will it transfer to the phone? I know it works the opposite way

Thanks for the help, I love the idea of taking a screen shot. My kids do that all the time so they find information on their phone quickly.

You have been going for over 20 years like I have, your plans can’t possibly be as detailed now as there were back then. Do you REALLY need a spreadsheet? You could give tours yourself! :)

Paper first, with lots of scribbling

Then as plans take shape, I make a google doc spreadsheet, which I can access on the Drive app on my phone or from any computer :)

I keep my trip budget in the same workbook on another tab so that if plans change I can update our budget at the same time.

I play around with TouringPlans once I have FP and dining booked, and then jot down a general agenda for each day. THAT goes into my Notes on my phone, just for quick reference :)

I also include TP park day crowd levels into my plans too.

Going to look at using my I phone calendar which is grossly underused on this end. I do save a daily list of our plans via Ipad's camera as well as transportation tickets and times. The photos make for a good backup to the MDE app even though I don't take it to the parks daily.

You have been going for over 20 years like I have, your plans can’t possibly be as detailed now as there were back then. Do you REALLY need a spreadsheet? You could give tours yourself! :)

I've been going since 1973:rotfl2: and other then actually being there, my second favorite thing is the planning. Thanks so much, I really don't use my calendar or my phone enough. When I do, I love it:goodvibes

I don't necessarily need a spreadsheet, but I like to see my plans on paper or list to make sure they'll work out time wise. As the trip gets closer and everyone decides to add their two cents I start tweaking everything. I also love to make notes while we're there for the next trip. My last trip I made dinner way to late, the trip before way too early...fingers crossed I get it right this time:wizard:

I love all the details to add to the plans, I usually have each day timed out as best as I can too. On pool days I actually know what time my DD and my son's girlfriend needs to go up to the room to start getting ready and what time we need to leave to hotel to get our first FP before it expires so the second one is ready to go. With old kids we need to leave time for a few drinks here and there too of course. Can't wait to start inputting:banana:

I've been going since 1973:rotfl2: and other then actually being there, my second favorite thing is the planning. Thanks so much, I really don't use my calendar or my phone enough. When I do, I love it:goodvibes

I don't necessarily need a spreadsheet, but I like to see my plans on paper or list to make sure they'll work out time wise. As the trip gets closer and everyone decides to add their two cents I start tweaking everything. I also love to make notes while we're there for the next trip. My last trip I made dinner way to late, the trip before way too early...fingers crossed I get it right this time:wizard:

I love all the details to add to the plans, I usually have each day timed out as best as I can too. On pool days I actually know what time my DD and my son's girlfriend needs to go up to the room to start getting ready and what time we need to leave to hotel to get our first FP before it expires so the second one is ready to go. With old kids we need to leave time for a few drinks here and there too of course. Can't wait to start inputting:banana:

I had no idea you were there in the 70’s!!! That’s amazing!!! I’m incredibly jealous!!!!:worship:

I do the exact same thing! All the future notes, what new snack to try etc... one year I forgot Hubby’s flip flops so right then and there at the pool I created a Disney packing list in my phone reminders (the app with the three diagonal dots) I keep it there permanently and tweak it for the next trip.

I need to see things visually and map out the time as well. Using the phone calendar there’s a way in the entry to select “alert at time of event”. I love that feature! So the calendar reminds me “hey pool time is over send someone back to the room to shower”:rotfl2:

I had no idea you were there in the 70’s!!! That’s amazing!!! I’m incredibly jealous!!!!:worship:

I do the exact same thing! All the future notes, what new snack to try etc... one year I forgot Hubby’s flip flops so right then and there at the pool I created a Disney packing list in my phone reminders (the app with the three diagonal dots) I keep it there permanently and tweak it for the next trip.

I need to see things visually and map out the time as well. Using the phone calendar there’s a way in the entry to select “alert at time of event”. I love that feature! So the calendar reminds me “hey pool time is over send someone back to the room to shower”:rotfl2:

You and I are very much the same with lists, schedules and anything visually. I love the alert, then I would need another alert for DD that times up, you look great, lets go!!:rotfl2:

I am one of those people that makes lists and spreadsheets for everything - so something as complex as Disney has meant more of the same.

I use Google Docs to create spreadsheets (or Word docs if I need them but like the ability to sort/filter in the spreadsheets). All the data entry happens on a PC. Then I can access and edit if needed right from my phone.

My spreadsheets are massive right now as I am learning all about ALL THE THINGS but eventually I'll have summarized documents that I also plan to print and laminate for taking with us on the trip. Yes, yes, I'm a nerd.

I just have each day as a separate Note in my iPhone. It’s just our 3 pre-book FP and an ADR if we have one. We don’t plan anything much beyond that.

I take a screenshot daily and text it to everyone in our group that morning. Pretty simple - but we don’t like to plan our days out in much detail.

I was never a spreadsheet person until this trip. Usually, I just put everything I need to know in my PTR and come back to it when I need to pull up the information. However-- this year, I'm utilizing a multi-sheet spread on Google Sheets and I'm finding it to be a pretty useful asset for remembering our window dates!

This is mine. I posted it in one of those threads, but can't remember where now.View attachment 375723

LOVE this format, definitely going to try this one out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts