Here's your chance to be creative......!

wcw57

DIS Veteran
DW and I are heading to WDW in Jan or Feb to celebrate our 25th (we can't get away near the actual October date)....

We plan on not doing the parks, proper.......

Instead we want to explore the different resorts where we have never stayed or visited, hit a bunch of the restaurants, go to Springs, etc....

We hope to book the dine around package...

Probably do the hot air balloon.......

Now, here's the part where u get to be creative:

where would you stay (more than 1 place?)?
where would you dine?
what else would you do?

Basically, where would a couple of old effluvium (60+) want to "not miss"?

Many thanks in advance for the opinions and help..........

Not sure on the questions as I tend to run opposite to everyone on here in terms of likes for resorts and dining. Lol.

But one word of caution about the balloon at Disney Springs. I would not get my heart set on it because they do close it for winds. I am here this week and have been to DS three times and it has been closed every time. The saddest was the morning I was there - a wedding was supposed to be happening on the balloon but it was grounded so it was happening in front of the balloon. The bride had a smile on her face, so she was making the best of it (or faking it well), but that had to be disappointing.

Stay: Polynesian/Grand Floridian/Wilderness Lodge (Club level of course)

Eat: Victoria & Alberts chef table with wine pairings; stop at Mizer’s Lounge for a drink; Trader Sams; Geyser Point for lunch one day; Jiko; Shula’s

Spa treatments

Look into a tour that isn’t in a park (perhaps Animal Kingdom Lodge?)

Definitely eat at BOATHOUSE! I actually went there twice on the trip I am just ending!

Hint: If you like chocolate cake-type things, ask for the allergy brownie dessert. AMAZING!!! And while being gluten-free it was my dessert option, the chef I consulted with last night said that it is what he tells all his friends to get - you don’t have to have allergies to get it.

Since you are not going to the parks would you consider a luxury stay like the Four Seasons? Beautiful pools and spa. And no I wouldn't stay in more than one place - I think packing and unpacking is a pain and you basically lose a chunk of a day having to be out of one room by noon and not into the next until 4:00 pm. From the Four Seasons you could enjoy restaurants that are Disney and ones that are not. Personally I would not pay Disney resort prices unless going to the parks but I know others do.

Well first, Congrats!

For “Disney” Stay... AKL, Savannah
Eat: Victoria and Alberts
Do: private Boat ride or Tour that interests you

However... I also think that if I was not planning on Any Park time and Celebrating... I’d stay off Disney .. true Deluxe stay...the Ritz Carlton, Grand Lakes comes to mind.. luxury!
Enjoy!!!

Do: private Boat ride or Tour that interests you

Yes private boat tour! We reserved a boat tour for our adult kids and spouses as an anniversary gift to them for our upcoming May family trip (while we watch the 4 grandkids so that's the true gift lol!). When you call you need to ask for a specialty cruise (not an Illuminations cruise). Once the date is locked in they will ask you where you want to go and then you can ask for Illuminations. Call the Recreation number (407) 939-7529 I would call right at 180 days and you can reserve at that time even if you're not staying in a Disney resort. There is always an option to cancel later if you change your mind.

Our kids are going to go out to dinner before the cruise (Todd English's BlueZoo) and there are many Boardwalk area choices that would be just a walk to the boat dock. But you can arrange private dining on the cruise or dessert and champagne or whatever you like. I'm sure you could order flowers, cake, really make it special. One of the nice things about this cruise option is that you don't need a park ticket to do the cruise.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_GB/recreation/specialty-cruises/

We went for our 20th, first adult only trip We stayed three nights at Disney in a different deluxe each night. It was our first time staying deluxe (with the kids we have to get two rooms). I'm spoiled now. We enjoyed the resorts mostly. Booked dining according to where we were staying. Lots to do outside the parks at the resorts and Disney Springs. Love staying at Disney and not doing any parks. Then I feel free to explore all the other stuff to do without feeling like I'm wasting my park time.

the boat tours sound like fun!
we've stayed at kadani but love the look of wilderness lodge...we are currently considering that...

I want to make time to see yehaa bob..

the amphibious car is on out list, to be sure....

we did the underground/backstage tour many years ago and it was great....

staying off property is probably off the board....

i have always wanted to stay in the contemporary since i first saw it (lo! those many years ago..) but that and GF and Poly would eat up our budget pretty fast.....We don't plan on staying put in the hotels much, anyway

you guys are great! very helpful!!

i have always wanted to stay in the contemporary since i first saw it

Would you consider renting DVC points and staying at Bay Lake Tower? You have access to everything at the CR plus you could go to the Top Of The World Lounge. If you're on the monorail loop you'll want to do a monorail lounge crawl.:)

If you're not doing the parks, I would work in Raglan Road, even if it's just for a drink and dessert! When we went a couple years ago, we thought the dancing (and singing!) was beautiful.

I would stay at AKL in a savanna view room. Nothing beats waking up to the wildlife in the morning.

I would do the California Grill brunch on Sunday. All you can drink mimosas and lobster Benedict.

Would you consider renting DVC points and staying at Bay Lake Tower? You have access to everything at the CR plus you could go to the Top Of The World Lounge. If you're on the monorail loop you'll want to do a monorail lounge crawl.:)

We have rented points before for Kidani and that is def an option...............!

I would stay at AKL in a savanna view room. Nothing beats waking up to the wildlife in the morning.

I would do the California Grill brunch on Sunday. All you can drink mimosas and lobster Benedict.

I agree about the views!!! We stayed at Kidani a while back...

Not much for breakfast buffets....and you can have my lobster if you'd like. IMNSHO, lobster has no flavor and seems to be a device to carry melted butter into your mouth. Thanks, but I'll pass :-)D)

If you're not doing the parks, I would work in Raglan Road, even if it's just for a drink and dessert! When we went a couple years ago, we thought the dancing (and singing!) was beautiful.

While I thoroughly enjoy Irish dining, I am torn here...

Irish music is just about my least favorite type of music (there are a few others that beat it out for the number one spot on my dislike list...but not many) and clog dancing bores my quickly.....I DO like the atmosphere, however. THIS will be my DW's decision....

aaaaaaannnnnd THAT'S how I stayed married for 25 years! I don't make decisions....

While I thoroughly enjoy Irish dining, I am torn here...

Irish music is just about my least favorite type of music (there are a few others that beat it out for the number one spot on my dislike list...but not many) and clog dancing bores my quickly.....I DO like the atmosphere, however. THIS will be my DW's decision....

aaaaaaannnnnd THAT'S how I stayed married for 25 years! I don't make decisions....

If you like the food and DW would be happy with the food and atmosphere, I say this is the one! :)

As far as resort, the Epcot crescent lake resorts give you walking access to the other four, so definitely consider them. And at least one (usually more) have the top discount for the room only rate deal at the time.

Stay at AKL. After my DH and I stayed there we decided it would be an awesome place to stay for a non-park trip. It's not just the animals, although it is really fun to watch them from your room so I would get a Savannah view room. We drank a bottle of wine on the balcony while we watched the animals - literally saw an Ostrich lay an egg right in front of our balcony and got to watch the excited CM who collected it, held it up, and shouted "Still warm!" to the CM across the way. Then there are the various animal viewing areas around the resort. We had a great time just walking around and watching the animals and we sat in the rocking chairs on the public balconies every morning to watch them. Then you have some of the absolute best dining options on WDW property right there at the resort. Definitely eat at Jiko's - it's fantastic and if you like wine they are some amazing South African wines. We haven't been to Sanaa yet but it is also supposed to be amazing. We also love Boma, both for breakfast and dinner. We aren't really breakfast eaters but if we decide to do a breakfast on our departure day it will ALWAYS be at Boma. The resort itself is beautiful and there are all sorts of little sitting areas tucked away all over the place. We really like the little fire pit area inside. Nice little spots to sit at the bar or the lounge and get a drink.

Stay at AKL. After my DH and I stayed there we decided it would be an awesome place to stay for a non-park trip. It's not just the animals, although it is really fun to watch them from your room so I would get a Savannah view room. We drank a bottle of wine on the balcony while we watched the animals - literally saw an Ostrich lay an egg right in front of our balcony and got to watch the excited CM who collected it, held it up, and shouted "Still warm!" to the CM across the way. Then there are the various animal viewing areas around the resort. We had a great time just walking around and watching the animals and we sat in the rocking chairs on the public balconies every morning to watch them. Then you have some of the absolute best dining options on WDW property right there at the resort. Definitely eat at Jiko's - it's fantastic and if you like wine they are some amazing South African wines. We haven't been to Sanaa yet but it is also supposed to be amazing. We also love Boma, both for breakfast and dinner. We aren't really breakfast eaters but if we decide to do a breakfast on our departure day it will ALWAYS be at Boma. The resort itself is beautiful and there are all sorts of little sitting areas tucked away all over the place. We really like the little fire pit area inside. Nice little spots to sit at the bar or the lounge and get a drink.

yes, i agree....it was an awesome place!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter