Here at Aulani Now-Ask me questions

NancyDVC

DIS Veteran
We have been here since Saturday. First visit to Aulani. It is wonderful.
So far no 'Ohana Movie Night.:worried:
Of course no Starlight Hui but several cast members said that the last performance was memorable and sad.
No Mahalo Member Mingle for DVC members. :worried: According to the cast new programs are in the works.
The cast members that I spoke with do not have details about the planned luau.
We did attend the DVC Member Magic Tour. A very nice cast member, KC, from Kauai led the tour. He is very knowledgeable about the resort and gave us pointers on who to ask if we have more questions. I am impressed by how respectful of the Hawaiian culture they were in designing and running this resort.
I did attend one of Uncle's Mo'Olelo Fire Pit StoryTellings. Very nice and informative and the kids around me seemed to enjoy it. It only lasts 10-15 minutes so don't be late. There were plenty of chairs around the fire pit.
If you have any questions I will be glad to answer them if I can. Just remember we are 6 hours behind the east coast so it may take me awhile to answer. :)

We have been here since Saturday. First visit to Aulani. It is wonderful.
So far no 'Ohana Movie Night.:worried:
Of course no Starlight Hui but several cast members said that the last performance was memorable and sad.
No Mahalo Member Mingle for DVC members. :worried: According to the cast new programs are in the works.
The cast members that I spoke with do not have details about the planned luau.
We did attend the DVC Member Magic Tour. A very nice cast member, KC, from Kauai led the tour. He is very knowledgeable about the resort and gave us pointers on who to ask if we have more questions. I am impressed by how respectful of the Hawaiian culture they were in designing and running this resort.
I did attend one of Uncle's Mo'Olelo Fire Pit StoryTellings. Very nice and informative and the kids around me seemed to enjoy it. It only lasts 10-15 minutes so don't be late. There were plenty of chairs around the fire pit.
If you have any questions I will be glad to answer them if I can. Just remember we are 6 hours behind the east coast so it may take me awhile to answer. :)[/QU
We are here tonight as well. Just saw a dress rehearsal of the Luau from our 11th floor window. It will be on the lawn where the wedding pictures are taken. Of course, no audience and no food. The show was great (hey, it was free) especially a number with flaming torches. You knew there would be torches.

Hmm, thought I had posted this. We are here tonight (Tuesday) and just saw a dress rehearsal of the Luau show from our 11th floor balcony. Looks good, especially the part with the flaming torches.

It was on the Halawai lawn, same place where they do all the wedding photo shoots with Mickey and Minnie.

Here's a question: can you get a Dole float at Aulani? Of just a whip? I.e. do I need to buy pineapple juice to make my own?? :)

I think it is just a Dole whip. I did see the sign at the Ulu Cafe. So you may need to bring your own pineapple juice. :cool2: I will try to check it out!

How are crowd levels now? I know this is supposedly slow season, but some reviews I've been reading have been making me nervous re: lack of pool chairs, lazy river being packed, etc. (we'll be there in two weeks- counting down the days!!).

Here's another question.....any youth boys shirts in the gift shop that don't look too "babyish" for my tween boy? He still really needs a youth XL; the jump to men's small is major. Thanks for being our live "eyes and ears" on the ground!!

When we were there in January it was Dole whip only, no float. I was sooo bummed. Had even bought a little bottle of rum at the ABC store to mix in.

We just got back and crowds were not terrible. The first day I had to ask for help to find an empty pool chair, but the CM's were super helpful. Did not have any issues after that. We also were able to eat with minimal wait times with no reservations.

It doesn't seem too crowded at the pools or lazy river. It depends on what time of day you go to the pool. When it is warm out-midday then there are more folks in the pools. But I haven't noticed any huge crowds. And there are chairs available. The most crowded area seems to be by the Mehehune Bridge Children's play area. Groups of families with small children but they seem to come and go. Probably little ones getting tired and needing naps or food.
The Front Desk seems crowded almost all day. With guests coming in from Australia, Japan as well as Canada and the continental U.S. there are guests checking in all the time.

I checked the Dole Whip but no floats.

I will check Kalepa's Store for the T shirts!

Here's a question: can you get a Dole float at Aulani? Of just a whip? I.e. do I need to buy pineapple juice to make my own?? :)

If you like adult drinks, just buy the Ace Hard Pineapple Cider they sell at Island COuntry market and use that with the dole whip. It's AMAZING!!!!

No floats that I saw - only soft serve.

Here's another question.....any youth boys shirts in the gift shop that don't look too "babyish" for my tween boy? He still really needs a youth XL; the jump to men's small is major. Thanks for being our live "eyes and ears" on the ground!!

I saw a few. I was looking at shirts for my 4 year old nephew and saw a lot more "big kid" clothes than little kid ones.

Does Aulani have a mini grocery store/gift shop similar to other DVC/Disney resorts?

They have a gift shop just like any WDW resort, and there's a small area with a few necessities in it. For the size of the resort, we were actually surprised at how small the store was and I didn't think it has as many options as some of the WDW stores. You'd be better off going to the ABC Store across the street, both for a better selection of stuff and better prices.

We got home on Saturday. Wonderful trip!

I was able to watch Ohana Movie Night from my balcony (I believe it was Monday night) and they were showing Hocus Pocus.

Crowds over the first weekend (8th and 9th) we were there was pretty bad, but died down during the week. Had no issues with getting chairs at the beach though!

Weather, IMO, was chilly late afternoon/evening, but I run on the cooler side. Ocean water was definitely warmer than Lazy River water.

I checked for youth t shirts at Kalepa's Store. There were a few youth sizes that were not cutesy, especially one that is for 2016 Aulani's 5th anniversary.

The food selection is limited-milk, juice, soda, water, etc. Some frozen foods, treats, ice cream. Bread, jam, snacks etc. Prices are high. The Island Market has high prices as well. I found Arnold bread at the Island Market for $7.69 that sells at home for about $3.49 and I buy at the outlet near my home for 3 loaves for $4.00!
We found Foodland in Kapolei not far from Costco, Target and Safeway. Good prices. They have a Maikai membership that gets you special pricing. You just give them a telephone number-They promise no calls or texts. And each time you shop give the same telephone number and you get the special prices. Very nice store and the Maikai prices are not too much more than regular pricing at home.

If you have a CVS Extracare card card, bring it or put it on your smartphone. Longs Drugs is owned by CVS and they accept your CVS card. I brought a 25% off coupon that I received just before I left and it worked! There is a Longs in Target as well as one in the same shopping center as Safeway.

Remember there is a grocery delivery service on the Aulani website just like at WDW. So you can pre order groceries and they will be delivered to your room by nell services. Pricey yes but convenient if you don't have a car.

Also at the ABC stores (including the Island Market) save your receipts. They have a promotion that gets you a 'free' gift when you have receipts totaling $100 or more.

Also don't forget reusable bags. State law says they must charge you for bags if you do not bring your own. We brought a few from home. We met a family in the elevator who were coming back from Target and the mother was annoyed that she had to buy bags. All the stores-Longs, ABC, grocery that we have shopped at have reusable bags for sale for a reasonable price. When we did get bags at the ABC store, Longs etc. they are sturdy and we have reused them as well.

Last edited:
There is a shopping shuttle-Halihali Shopping Shuttle that picks up 3 times a day at Aulani and has drop offs at the he Disney Store Premium Outlets (Leonard's food truck there), Ala Moana Shopping Center and T Galleria by DFS. We have not used it but information is available at the Holoholo Tour Desk. I believe that there is also a shuttle that stops at all the hotels and the shopping area in Ko'Olina.

Not to mention that prospective members are shuttled in for a tour/sales presentation form all over. They have a 'desk/booth at the Ala Moana Center near the Disney Store.

Also don't forget the Farmers Market every Monday at the Marriott Beach Club. Small, only 2 stands when we went. One had baked goods and the other fruits and vegetables. We got great tasting small bananas. It is open 9-1. The valet let us leave the car in the front because we were only going to be there a short time. The Farmers Market is on the lower floor/open area. Just ask at the valet desk.
We also saw an Enterprise desk there. So maybe they will allow you to pick up a car there.

If you like adult drinks, just buy the Ace Hard Pineapple Cider they sell at Island COuntry market and use that with the dole whip. It's AMAZING!!!!
Oh yes, I read your reviews and already have that on my shopping list!!! I love hard apple cider (got hooked on the Stella at F&W), so can't wait to try it!

Thanks so much @NancyDVC for all the answers! I feel like it's a little sneak peek! Great info about the free gift at ABC--I'm sure we'll easily spend $100 there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter