Help - used ear wax treatment and now can't hear out of my ear

ms.yt

DIS Veteran
I went to Urgent Care on Tuesday for what turned out to be bronchitis, and I told the doctor my right ear was hurting. I was afraid that I had an infection in it, but she told me that I had a lot of wax buildup in it, so that was probably causing the pain. I bought an ear wax removal solution and after using it for a couple of days, I now can barely hear out of that ear. I was going to go back to Urgent Care tonight, but when I went by there, it was obvious there was going to be a wait of several hours. Does anybody have any suggestions or am I just going to have to go see a doctor tomorrow?

I've had the same problem several times in the past. Usually what happens is the removal stuff you put in your ear (Debrox, in my case) loosens up the wax in your ear and it starts moving around, and blocks the canal so you have trouble hearing.

For me, the only way to fix it is to go into the doctor and have her remove the wax (sometimes they can just grab it with the tweezer things, but sometimes they have to flush warm water in there to force it out). It is kind of painful, but worth it.

Just go to your doctor tomorrow. This is not an emergency, just annoying. I'm sure that the ear wax has moved and closed over the ear canal. Used to happen to my dad all the time--he would yell at us to stop mumbling, then mom would send him to the doctor and like MIRACLE! he could hear again.

Have you rinsed the ear out with the bulb after letting it sit for ten minutes??

You could also try using a q-tip at just the opening to help move out some of the thicker build-up that didn't quite make it out with the cleaning solution.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest