• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HELP!! OKW Members - Opinion on Building 14

disneyokw

<font color=blue>Home Sweet Home<br><font color=pu
My parents just arrived at OKW and left a message on the machine stating that they are on the 3rd floor in building 14. We had requested buildings 23 - 26. Knowing my father he would take anything without bothering to check or wait on another room. I have checked out the map and it looks like it would have a lousy view from the patio (mainroad by entrance), and bus noise. My father heads back home on the 18th and I arrive on the 19th. Should I tell my mother to switch on the 18th when my father leaves. I know about the fee and I would be more than happy to pay. Plus I know my father would be upset if we did. But this is our vacation. I do like been close to the hospitality house, but not that close. My father sounded like he was just pleased to be there while I could tell my mother was not a happy camper. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I would not be a happy camper, either, if I were in Building 14, but that's because it's too far away for me! We stayed in Building 64, which is about a 2 minute walk from the c heck-in area, and we thought it was great. We stayed on the 2nd floor, there are elevators in that building, and you have both a water and golf course view all in one! It was the best vacation we ever had there, and made us fall in love with OKW(we are BW members). From now on we are planning our summer vacations at OKW, building 64, so that hubby is pleased with the golf view, and I am pleased with the water view. We could have spent all day looking at that view! If mom isn't happy with her view, change it, regardless of the cost. It will make for a happier v acation:bounce:

Originally posted by Cruelladeville
I would not be a happy camper, either, if I were in Building 14, but that's because it's too far away for me! We stayed in Building 64, which is about a 2 minute walk from the check-in area, and we thought it was great.
Huh? Building 14 is even closer to the Hospitality House (check-in area) than building 64. Take a look at the map of Old Key West.

We've stayed in building 14. It was great! We were on the side that faces the pond, woods, and golf course. Very nice and very convenient location! (I imagine I would have been less happy if I had been on the side that faces the entrance road.)

DVC members who request a specific building number are setting themselves up for disappointment. What's the chance that someone else is checking out of the specific unit type (studio, 1-BR, 2-BR, Grand Villa) on the morning that you're checking in? (Keep in mind that many guests stay for a week, give or take a few days). And, if someone is checking out, what's the chance that the unit hasn't already been assigned to someone else?

It's better to request the attributes that you want (smoking preference; type of view; top, middle, or bottom floor; which "neighborhood" of the resort; near bus stop or quiet location beyond bus route; etc.) if one or more of these attributes are important to you. But the more requests you make, the less likely it is that all of them will be met.

By the way, buildings 23 and 26 have units that are right up aginst the main road too, so there are units in building 14 that are nicer and quieter than some of the units in 23 and 26.

I would recommend that disneyokw first find out where in building 14 his parents' unit is located before trying to change anything.

Thanks for your replies. I just got off the phone with my parents who said that there is no view. Only trees. As I thought my father is happy, but my mother is not. We have always had no problem with request. Last year we requested room 2920 and it was available at 10 a.m. If anyone is going down my parents said it is very, very humid right now at OKW.

Originally posted by disneyokw
I just got off the phone with my parents who said that there is no view. Only trees.
I like views of trees, but I'm sure there are others who always want a water view or a golf view. That's why I made the point about specifying a view preference at reservation time, if that's important to you.
Originally posted by disneyokw
Last year we requested room 2920 and it was available at 10 a.m.
That's amazing luck! They're not going to kick another guest out of their condo, so it's a lucky coincidence that someone was checking out of unit 2920 on your arrival date (or that it had been empty the night before), and that it had not yet been pre-assigned to another arriving guest. Congratulations!

Just out of curiosity, what's wonderful about unit 2920? On the OKW map, building 29 appears to be a rather average location -- not bad in any way, but not particularly convenient to any pool, bus stop, or the Hospitality House.

Just out of curiosity, what's wonderful about unit 2920? On the OKW map, building 29 appears to be a rather average location -- not bad in any way, but not particularly convenient to any pool, bus stop, or the Hospitality House.

We were in building 28 in May on the side close to 29. The trees were practically on the porches in 29, so there would be no view. I was even thinking there's no way I'd want that building.

What I would do is wait until you get there and check it out. Then if you want to switch, you can check where they want to put you first.

I was in Bldg 14 in June. We were on the road side. the trees were so thick that you cannot see the road. The noise was minimal and it was a very quick walk to Olivias and the pool.

I think you will be fine there.

We own at BW but will be staying at OKW in Oct. thanks for the map W.W. what about bldgs 11 - 13. And is 64 the newst of the bldgs? I just want to be close to the hospitality house. Anyone have any more suggestions?

We stayed in building 14 over July 4th and was really disappointed. We were on the 1st floor, which was fine, but there was a huge puddle of water from a clogged drain on the pathway leading to our room(the ONLY pathway to our room!). My kids, naturally, splashed right through the standing water, and I mentioned it at check-out that the puddle had been there for 2 days. The front desk really did not seem to care, nor did the housekeeper we flagged down the first day. As for building 14, there really is no "view" to speak of, unless you consider the central air unit, a shrub with someone's dirty sock in it, and a parking lot a view. We have stayed in 26 and 52 before, and preferred either of them over 14, especially since we did not have to cross a busy parking lot to get to a pool from them. Also, the closest ice machine from bldg. 14 is the pool area, according to the front desk, and I did not like having to walk that far.

Originally posted by Mic
As for building 14, there really is no "view" to speak of, unless you consider the central air unit, a shrub with someone's dirty sock in it, and a parking lot a view.
This just proves that the same building can have better locations and worse locations. A third-floor room in the back of the building should have a much nicer view than what Mic describes. (By the way, building 14 has an unusual U-shape layout, different from most other OKW buildings.)

One other thing to consider throughout OKW is that as the tress grow larger and larger, they are blocking more and more of views. No, I don't want to see the trees cut down; I like large trees.

We have never stayed in that part of OKW but having just looked at the map, I don't think I'd be too happy in building 14. If you decide to switch and cannot get bldg. 29, you could try bldgs 45 and 46. They are a little further down Peninsular Road (opposite side of the street from 29) but they have wonderful views of the Trumbo Canal and the boats going back and forth from Downtown Marketplace. Those are our favorite buildings--but, admittedly they are not close to the HH if that is important to you. You can easily walk to bus stops at either Peninsular or South Point. The area pool is a short walk also as is the walking path to DD. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks again to all that responded. I just found out that we could of had room 2324, but it would only be available at 4 p.m. and my father did not want to wait. I'll kill him when he gets home.:D :D

Werner Weiss: Last year we chose 2920 because we stayed there in 1998 when we had the best vacation of our lives. It was also the year my mother was totally free of cancer (YEA!). So we decided to try to relive any part of that trip.

gscott8075: You are right. My parents said they cannot see anything past the trees and so far not much noise.

Mic: When I get to OKW I will be sure to look for the dirty sock in the shrub. I wonder if they bothered to pick it up. Too bad about the water outside your door. I'm surprised they did not try to take care of it.

If anyone is interested the weather today (9/10) is HOT and very muggy. The one good thing about building 14 is that I'm sure my father is always in the main pool. If he doesn't watch it he will shrivel up and look like a prune. One last thing. My parents said that as stated in the Vacation Magic booklet Olivia's and Community Hall is definitely not taking any more photos for their wall. Even though visually it looks like there are open spaces. I brought one down last year and we were the 10th one on the wall. Thanks again everyone.

;) disneyokw: To find the sock, you must stand on the balcony of the right corner room(if facing building 14) and look to the right, in the tree or shrub next to the AC unit. My kids got the biggest kick out of trying to guess how the darned thing got there. I have to admit, it was the highlight of our trip, after expereincing the pitiful excuse for "extra special 4th of July fireworks" at Epcot(We were there for July 4th, 2000 fireworks and were VERY impressed, even watching the show from a walkway connecting W-S and Futureworld. This past July, with a fantastic view from a coveted table at Rose and Crown, we decided last year's was much better.) Oh well, second-rate room and third-rate fireworks still equal a first-rate trip, in my opinion. Have a great trip, and don't kill your dad...you may need money from him one day! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter