Help! Need recommendations for everyday face makeup

I've been using Garnier BB cream for years and set it with a very light dusting of powder and have had great success for an even but super natural look. I may look into Bare Minerals for a more "evening out" level look after hearing about how much everyone likes it here.

What is the Bare Minerals look - more natural or is it thicker looking? (thicker's not the right word, but you know - does it look like you have a layer of foundation on?)

It really depends on how YOU apply it. I use the foundation, then the "Warmth" around my face, and then I top it off with the Mineral Veil. I like the heavier look of those layers. It takes all the red of my rosacea away and "fills" out the shadows of the uneveness of my skin due to age. On the weekends, I may just use the foundation for a more casual look.

I just picked up some Bare Minerals pressed powder foundation.

This stuff better blow my mind for $28.

Luckily I got it at Sephora, and they allow returns on any "foundation" products.

I hope you had someone at Sephora show you how to apply and blend it. I don't know that it will "blow your mind" but it's the only foundation that takes the red out of my skin (or hides it) and gets rid of some of my shadows. At $28 it lasts a long time. Also, I've tried many brushes and my favorite is still the Bare Minerals Kabuki brush. Some of the other brushes just don't lay it on right.

The closest I've come in a liquid foundation to perfection is a very small bottle of Chanel that cost me $60. Unfortunately, after my second bottle of it I started getting a fine rash on my face.

I am 44 and have been using Maybelline Fit which I purchase at Target for less than $7! I also love Bobbi Brown foundation which is, I feel, a make up brand that is truly geared for mature skin (versus a Mac, for example). But I do have to share a secret...

I went to Bobbi Brown and had them match my skin to a foundation. I purchased it and then took the bottle to the Maybelline Fit section and matched the colors! I own both but use the Fit daily and save the BB foundation for special occasions.

If choosing foundation, I highly recommend NOT buying anything Matte. That will settle into wrinkles and it looks and feels terrible( I have dry skin).

Thanks for the Hot and Flashy recommendation on You tube!

I hope you had someone at Sephora show you how to apply and blend it. I don't know that it will "blow your mind" but it's the only foundation that takes the red out of my skin (or hides it) and gets rid of some of my shadows. At $28 it lasts a long time. Also, I've tried many brushes and my favorite is still the Bare Minerals Kabuki brush. Some of the other brushes just don't lay it on right.

The closest I've come in a liquid foundation to perfection is a very small bottle of Chanel that cost me $60. Unfortunately, after my second bottle of it I started getting a fine rash on my face.

I bought the brush that was next to the powder that they recommend. I didn't have anyone show me how to blend it or anything but I can't imagine it is any different than any other pressed powder foundation. I dont like the loose powders...those require way too much effort. My rosacea is mostly just visible redness. I dont have the rough texture that sometimes goes with that (although my mom does have that). My skin is mostly smooth, but just very uneven in tone which is why I like using powder foundation.

Do you use the kabuki brush for the pressed powder foundation? I didn't see that brush, but I didn't look too long. I will look into it if I dont have good results with the one I got (core something).

The various drugstore BB creams have different levels of coverage. Some are more matte.

I like the Cover Girl best as it’s matte and mostly covers redness without feeling or looking heavy. I can’t always find it in the store, but just order from amazon in that case.

I bought the brush that was next to the powder that they recommend. I didn't have anyone show me how to blend it or anything but I can't imagine it is any different than any other pressed powder foundation. I dont like the loose powders...those require way too much effort. My rosacea is mostly just visible redness. I dont have the rough texture that sometimes goes with that (although my mom does have that). My skin is mostly smooth, but just very uneven in tone which is why I like using powder foundation.

Do you use the kabuki brush for the pressed powder foundation? I didn't see that brush, but I didn't look too long. I will look into it if I dont have good results with the one I got (core something).

Sorry, I only used the BM pressed powder foundation a few times and it wasn't for me. The BM loose powder is what the kabuki brush is for.

Does anyone using Bare Minerals find it settles into fine lines? I've never used this actual brand but I swore by L'Oreal True Match Minerals for years. I totally LOVED the coverage and how well it lasted through the day. Practically overnight it seemed like it just started looking like a cake-y mask that accentuated every single thing that was wrong with my skin. I wasn't super-wrinkly or anything but it seemed to age me incredibly. I went to Cover Girl Simply Ageless cream and have been using it for a couple of years now. I do miss powder foundation as I felt like it was easier to apply evenly. Would it be worth trying Bare Minerals?

I tried Bare Minerals and had an awful time with it accentuating the lines on my face as well as making my already big pores look huge. I looked totally dried out with mineral makeup.

I’ve been using IT Cosmetics CC cream for a couple of years and I love it. The coverage is great but it feels light, and my pores disappear. I actually get compliments on my skin which was unheard of before.

I tried Bare Minerals and had an awful time with it accentuating the lines on my face as well as making my already big pores look huge. I looked totally dried out with mineral makeup.

I’ve been using IT Cosmetics CC cream for a couple of years and I love it. The coverage is great but it feels light, and my pores disappear. I actually get compliments on my skin which was unheard of before.
Thanks - I'm thinking I won't bother trying it. Pretty sure it will perform the same way as my previous mineral powder foundation did. I do miss it though. The product I'm using now does break me out once in a while, which the minerals never did.

Supergoop cc cream. I had been using bare minerals but once I turned 40 it no longer worked for me.

Does anyone using Bare Minerals find it settles into fine lines? I've never used this actual brand but I swore by L'Oreal True Match Minerals for years. I totally LOVED the coverage and how well it lasted through the day. Practically overnight it seemed like it just started looking like a cake-y mask that accentuated every single thing that was wrong with my skin. I wasn't super-wrinkly or anything but it seemed to age me incredibly. I went to Cover Girl Simply Ageless cream and have been using it for a couple of years now. I do miss powder foundation as I felt like it was easier to apply evenly. Would it be worth trying Bare Minerals?

I just returned the Bare Minerals pressed powder foundation that I bought at Sephora, along with the $31 brush. It was AWFUL. Literally looked like I was sweeping powdered chalk onto my face. It never blended in, just fell off if I tried to blend it. It looked like I was coated in powdered sugar. Awful, awful, awful. I don't really have any fine lines, but it did not do anything good for my face at all. I tried using 3 different things to apply it. Nothing made it look good. It didn't want to blend at all.

I will continue to use Neutrogena Sheer Minerals Powder Foundation. That gives my skin an almost flawless look without even looking like I have anything on. It stays on all day, too, and only costs about $10 at Target. When I want more coverage, I add Maybelline Dream BB Fresh Cream. I like that is has a titanium dioxide based SPF and it goes on smooth and blends well, but isn't heavy like foundation.

I just returned the Bare Minerals pressed powder foundation that I bought at Sephora, along with the $31 brush. It was AWFUL. Literally looked like I was sweeping powdered chalk onto my face. It never blended in, just fell off if I tried to blend it. It looked like I was coated in powdered sugar. Awful, awful, awful. I don't really have any fine lines, but it did not do anything good for my face at all. I tried using 3 different things to apply it. Nothing made it look good. It didn't want to blend at all.

I will continue to use Neutrogena Sheer Minerals Powder Foundation. That gives my skin an almost flawless look without even looking like I have anything on. It stays on all day, too, and only costs about $10 at Target. When I want more coverage, I add Maybelline Dream BB Fresh Cream. I like that is has a titanium dioxide based SPF and it goes on smooth and blends well, but isn't heavy like foundation.

This was my experience with the pressed foundation too. Felt like an absolute mask and looked chalky. I don't have the issues with the loose powder.

Last edited:

I actually don't find the "line settling" to be an issue with me. I've heard people complain about this. I think it really depends on your skin and what kind of lines you have, etc. Because I have dry skin, I really do try to work with some liquid foundations because I always think that will be better for me, but everyone I've tried so far has accentuated my flaws quite a bit. I look like I have more lines. I guess it's just really an "it depends" kind of thing.

My go-to makeup was discountinued after ten years so I took a chance on a $6 bottle of Hard Candy Glamoflauge at Wal-Mart. Hard Candy is a cruelty-free brand (which is important to me) so that was the clincher. I love it and wear it everyday now. It goes on so smooth and stays on. I get compliments all the time!

Bare Minerals. About a month ago I was at Ulta and they had a Bare Minerals starter kit. It had 3 things in it, for about $30 (a brush, a loose powder, and... don't remember). That is WAY more than I'd normally spend on makeup, but I am hoping to look good in DD's wedding photos (June 16 is coming up fast!) so thought I'd give it a shot. It was AMAZING. Unfortunately it was also the wrong shade for me (DUH next time ask for help) so I gave the set to DD. Saw her last week and her skin/makeup was flawless. OK, she's 25 and beautiful, but still... Anyhow, I mentioned how good her face looked and she said, "Mom, it's the Bare Minerals!" I am heading back to Ulta soon for a color consultation and some Bare Minerals for myself!

Bare Minerals. About a month ago I was at Ulta and they had a Bare Minerals starter kit. It had 3 things in it, for about $30 (a brush, a loose powder, and... don't remember). That is WAY more than I'd normally spend on makeup, but I am hoping to look good in DD's wedding photos (June 16 is coming up fast!) so thought I'd give it a shot. It was AMAZING. Unfortunately it was also the wrong shade for me (DUH next time ask for help) so I gave the set to DD. Saw her last week and her skin/makeup was flawless. OK, she's 25 and beautiful, but still... Anyhow, I mentioned how good her face looked and she said, "Mom, it's the Bare Minerals!" I am heading back to Ulta soon for a color consultation and some Bare Minerals for myself!

Do you have Sephora near you? They will shade match and have a great return policy. I returned the bare minerals stuff that didn't work for me after a week with no questions asked.

This was my experience with the pressed foundation too. Felt like an absolute mask and looked chalky. I don't have the issues with the loose powder.

Good to know. I don't do loose powder. I like a compact that I can keep in my purse for touch ups.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter