Help! Need recommendations for everyday face makeup

disneyjr77

DIS Veteran
I need help lol As I get older (43) my skin is changing and I want to start wearing a light foundation/tinted moisturizer/bb cream/whatever fits the bill to look more polished and I don't know what to get.

I have pretty good skin, but it is definitely changing as I get older :sad1::sad2: I only wear pressed powder because I don't like the heavy look or feel of foundations and don't take a ton of time to get ready. I have sensitize, combination skin, and am allergic to chemical sunscreen so I would need one that has either no SPF or titanium dioxide as the SPF. I also don't want to spend a small fortune on it, so i'm looking for "drugstore" brand recommendations. Double bonus if it works all day at Disney and Universal :)

I tried googling it and going to Ulta's website, but there are sooooooo many options I was lost.

Please help :worship:

I’m 69 with decent skin and a few wrinkles. I gave up liquid foundation years ago. All it did was reinforce the bad areas. I have used bare minerals face powder for years. It comes in lots of shades. A jar lasts s long time. I apply sparingly with a brush, just brushing it over my face. If you have areas you want to cover like redness around your nose, facial discoloration or breakouts I use a small eye color brush and focus on that area with an extra layer. It’s invisible and really covers well.

I follow a lady named Angie on YouTube who goes by "Hot and Flashy". She is older than I am, has fabulous skin, and has some good recommendations on products (drugstore to luxury brands) and how to use them. I think she's a great place to start in your search. I will turn 45 this year and the changes to my skin over the past year or two are noticeable - at least to me. Angie's video's have been a great source of information for me, personally, as I look for products that work for "maturing" skin.

I’m 69 with decent skin and a few wrinkles. I gave up liquid foundation years ago. All it did was reinforce the bad areas. I have used bare minerals face powder for years. It comes in lots of shades. A jar lasts s long time. I apply sparingly with a brush, just brushing it over my face. If you have areas you want to cover like redness around your nose, facial discoloration or breakouts I use a small eye color brush and focus on that area with an extra layer. It’s invisible and really covers well.

I've seen the commercials and always wondered if it worked as well as it says did :) if it lasts a long time, it's worth the investment in the beginning

I follow a lady named Angie on YouTube who goes by "Hot and Flashy". She is older than I am, has fabulous skin, and has some good recommendations on products (drugstore to luxury brands) and how to use them. I think she's a great place to start in your search. I will turn 45 this year and the changes to my skin over the past year or two are noticeable - at least to me. Angie's video's have been a great source of information for me, personally, as I look for products that work for "maturing" skin.

Looking her up now :) it's crazy i've never had to worry about it and then all of a sudden it's like whoa wait a minute things are different.

I am 51 and use bare minerals face powder. Apply it with a brush. I also use their under eye concealer.

As a bonus, you can sometimes find it at tj maxx or Marshall’s. Makes it very affordable!

Just turned 40 and my skin is a hot mess. Rosacea, perioral dermatitis, large pores, dark spots, etc.

I also hate the feel of foundation.

I use the following:

Aveeno Calming Moisturizer with SPF 30--MINERAL SPF formula
Maybelline Face Studio Master Prime (I use the green formula for redness reduction)
Neutrogena Minerals powder foundation

These things make my skin look almost flawless.

Last edited:
I'm 55 and switched over to Bare Minerals many years ago. FWIW, I have extremely sensitive, dry, reactive skin and I have no issues with it. There is one ingredient that some people react to in Bare Minerals so be careful of that. But other mineral foundations don't have it so you can try another if that's an issue.

I have terrible reactions to chemical sunscreens also so rarely wear them and I do well with whatever is in Bare Minerals.

Just visited my dermatologist yesterday and she complimented me on the health of my "aging" facial skin and said I must be doing "all the right things." I told her NOPE, I can barely wear sunscreen but I can wear it in my makeup so that's what I do.

I hate heavy foundation makeup but need something that provides some coverage to even out my pasty pale yet also sometimes ruddy complexion. LOL I have been using Physician's Formula CC Cream for a couple of years and I love it. It is not at all heavy or greasy. It stays on all day and it doesn't cause any sort of reaction in my sensitive skin. It is also definitely drugstore cheap.

https://www.ulta.com/super-cc-corre...MIi62Qtt-U4QIVS4GzCh3KmQRHEAQYASABEgIps_D_BwE

Most BB and CC creams will have SPF in them. I don't like SPF in my face makeup, and have been trying for a while to find one that doesn't, but to no avail. Laura Mercier makes the best tinted moisturizer out there. You can get it at Ulta, though it would be considered "prestige" and not drug store. It's pricey but a tube of it will last a long, long time. And frankly, I think sometimes with makeup, you get what you pay for.

I don't like liquid or heavy foundation either, and have been using MAC Studio Fix pressed powder for years. You can buy it from Ulta and it's cheaper than the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer. It lasts a good while and I wear it daily. It covers well, never gets cakey, and feels weightless on the skin. It gets great reviews. In the summer, I will use the MAC Mineralize Skin Finish or Bare Minerals Mineral Veil for an even lighter coverage powder. I get these in a darker shade for when I have a little bit of a tan.

Just turned 40 and my skin is a hot mess. Rosacea, perineal dermatitis, large pores, dark spots, etc.

I also hate the feel of foundation.

I use the following:

Aveeno Calming Moisturizer with SPF 30--MINERAL SPF formula
Maybelline Face Studio Master Prime (I use the green formula for redness reduction)
Neutrogena Minerals powder foundation

These things make my skin look almost flawless.

I am 52. Do not wear much makeup and this is basically my routine as well. I am also sensitive to SPFs.

I use the CVS brand of Aveeno Calming Moisturizer on occasion
Revlon PhotoReady Primer
Almay Mineral Powder Foundation (this may be discontinued, I have a lot from my Super Coupon User days)

I really like the Bare Minerals type foundation powders. I don't find much difference between the brand name and drug store similar type products. I bet the Neutrogena products is lovely.

I've been using Garnier BB cream for years and set it with a very light dusting of powder and have had great success for an even but super natural look. I may look into Bare Minerals for a more "evening out" level look after hearing about how much everyone likes it here.

What is the Bare Minerals look - more natural or is it thicker looking? (thicker's not the right word, but you know - does it look like you have a layer of foundation on?)

I just picked up some Bare Minerals pressed powder foundation.

This stuff better blow my mind for $28.

Luckily I got it at Sephora, and they allow returns on any "foundation" products.

I tried Bare Minerals but I hated it. Felt like grinding dirt into my skin and it made my face feel tight (I assume I was reacting to the talc or something in it). At 42 still haven't found makeup I like so I just moisturize and use a dark spot correcting lotion (vitamin C). Occasionally I will dust over with Cover Girl pressed powder if I'm shiny and going out for the night (rare).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter