Help me understand how transfer points work - will need to do this soon!

SuzGM84

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to figure out the rules and what would be the best transfer points to try and get for my situation. We own at SSR/Dec UY. We are looking to get a 3BR BLT Lake View for Nov 27, 2021 - Dec 4, 2021 (i.e. partially in my UY20 and UY21). I have banked points that are set to expire at the end of Nov 20 (which I'll be using from UY19); all of my UY20 points; and some of my UY21 points. Without wiping out all of our points, we're going to need to buy some transferred points from another member.

My question is - which would be the best scenario? Do some of these scenarios NOT work at all?

1) receive 2020 points from another member (not Dec UY); bank to my 21UY and then use those for my trip

2) receive 2020 points from another member (Dec UY); just use as if they were my points like normal.

3) receive 2021 points from another member (not Dec UY); just use as if they were my points like normal (as they'd be in their current UY for my trip days)

4) receive 2021 points from another member (Dec UY); just use as if they were my points like normal for the Dec 2021 dates of my trip.

Any guidance folks have - or other suggestions - would be greatly appreciated. We're making this extra complicated by planning a trip over a point re-set/UY change, but it's a must given we have so many banked 19UY points thanks to COVID ruining all our plans this year.

One issue you will have is that you can not book a trip online if it crosses your UY. It will require a call to MS. Or you have to book with two different windows and then have MS combine them.

The other issue is whether or not that will be there at 7 months. If you are getting a transfer, I would probably go with BLT so you can book the start of the trip at 11 months and then add to it at 7 months with your SSR points,

The drawback with getting Dec 2020 points is that if you have to cancel, they’d be stuck.

Probably best to go with 2021 UY points that have your trip falling in the banking window for those points so if you had a cancel, you can bank them.

One issue you will have is that you can not book a trip online if it crosses your UY. It will require a call to MS. Or you have to book with two different windows and then have MS combine them.

The other issue is whether or not that will be there at 7 months. If you are getting a transfer, I would probably go with BLT so you can book the start of the trip at 11 months and then add to it at 7 months with your SSR points,

The drawback with getting Dec 2020 points is that if you have to cancel, they’d be stuck.

Follow up Q - IF I got Dec 2020 UY Points in say March 2021 (before my banking deadline of July), could I bank those transferred points?

Probably best to go with 2021 UY points that have your trip falling in the banking window for those points so if you had a cancel, you can bank them.

Follow up Q - I have to book my room in April 2021, so I'm assuming I would need then Arp 21 UY + onward to make that work?

Transferred points can be banked so if you got Dec 2020 you could bank to your 2021 UY and used for dates Dec 1st on.

The points only have to be good for the trip so pretty much any 2021 UY points other than Dec would work if you have them before you book

Just remember that is one per UY so any 2021 points count as your 2021 UY transfer even if used during your own 2020 UY

So, you can really get Feb to October 2021 points and they are good for your trip..remember they don’t change UY.

You could actually get some 2020 UY points and bank them and use as well.

For example, June 2020 points banked into June 2021 would work. As long as you have them by April, that is all that matters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter