Help me plan my low key disney trip.

jo-jo

DIS Veteran
We have a 2 week trip in early Dec. Planning on 5 park days. Those days we will be in parks from roughly 10 to 2 and 6 to 9. We do low key rides, don't need help with those. I want to hit all those little shows like Dapper Dans or the band at England. We either see them halfway through or we are in the park on Tuesdays and they only preform Wed to Sun. We will have 5 other days, but planning those mostly rest, maybe run into park for Christmas processional. There just seems to be some shows more publicized and others you just happen to find.

Give me a list of what you would recommend to see. Could be in parks or at resorts. Don't assume "it's been there forever, Jo-jo will know that one". I had no idea that Christmas processional was around forever. We only found the train set at Christmas at Yacht Club maybe 8 years ago.

I like to take a day to visit the monorail resorts and walk around. I especially like how the Grand Floridian is decorated for Christmas -- Dickens era carolers and even chestnuts roasting on an open fire, plus a really cool gingerbread house. I usually like to take a few hours one day too, to visit the Animal Kingdom Lodge (nice vibe) and fun place to walk around. If the weather is good on a monorail resort visit day, it's fun to take the boat over to Wilderness Lodge, see the geyser and wander around there too.

Our kids sometimes like renting the little speed boats.

You don't have SeaWorld on your list, but OMG that park owns Christmas with the decorations and special Christmas shows. It's always a must do for us during the Christmas season and a much more chill park than any of the Disney ones. https://seaworld.com/orlando/events/christmas-celebration/

Not sure if you're aware, but I'll throw it out there - the Voices of Liberty perform approximately every 45 minutes (the schedule is on the app) at the American Adventure as a bit of a pre-show. In December, we will often stop by to hear them sing holiday music. It's almost as special as the Candlelight Processional! Most of the time we listen to VOL and never make it to the AA show......

We did a “zoo day” at Animal Kingdom last year. No rides, just stopped and took in all the animals and exhibits. We took in the tree of life which we really had never done, I didn’t even know there was a “trail” around it! We had a great time.

I like to take a day to visit the monorail resorts and walk around. I especially like how the Grand Floridian is decorated for Christmas -- Dickens era carolers and even chestnuts roasting on an open fire, plus a really cool gingerbread house. I usually like to take a few hours one day too, to visit the Animal Kingdom Lodge (nice vibe) and fun place to walk around. If the weather is good on a monorail resort visit day, it's fun to take the boat over to Wilderness Lodge, see the geyser and wander around there too.

Our kids sometimes like renting the little speed boats.

You don't have SeaWorld on your list, but OMG that park owns Christmas with the decorations and special Christmas shows. It's always a must do for us during the Christmas season and a much more chill park than any of the Disney ones. https://seaworld.com/orlando/events/christmas-celebration/
Didn’t know about dickens Carolers. Is there a list when the Carolers sing?

We are spending one night at AKL.

Sea world is not happening. One thing about Disney, once you’re there ,no concerns about driving. DH needs a scooter so not as easy just to call Uber. I know they have some cars out there that can handle a scooter, but not going to go into the unknown.
Not sure if you're aware, but I'll throw it out there - the Voices of Liberty perform approximately every 45 minutes (the schedule is on the app) at the American Adventure as a bit of a pre-show. In December, we will often stop by to hear them sing holiday music. It's almost as special as the Candlelight Processional! Most of the time we listen to VOL and never make it to the AA show......
Yes, that’s one we know. One out of 50 isn’t bad, is it?
We did a “zoo day” at Animal Kingdom last year. No rides, just stopped and took in all the animals and exhibits. We took in the tree of life which we really had never done, I didn’t even know there was a “trail” around it! We had a great time.
Every visit to AK, is almost a zoo day. At his point the only ride is safari .
But yes, so many people running to rides, you skip stuff. That’s why I’m asking. Have we been missing stuff whether it’s a year old or 20 years old.

In addition to Yacht Club’s gingerbread train village, Beach Club does a gingerbread carousel every year that’s really cool. Every year it has a different theme.

There’s also a Christmas tree trail at Disney Springs every year that flies kinda under the radar but they have cool displays.

We LOVE going to Epcot and experiencing all aspects of the Festival of the Holidays...both the food and entertainment (Joyful and some of the Holiday storytellers specifically). If you want to see a good summary of last year's festival, I suggest this article...

https://wdwnt.com/2023/12/guide-2023-epcot-festival-of-the-holidays/
Yes, that’s big on our list. Thanks for the guide. You know you have a bunch of days ahead and in a blink it’s over. I’d like to plan better.

In addition to Yacht Club’s gingerbread train village, Beach Club does a gingerbread carousel every year that’s really cool. Every year it has a different theme.

There’s also a Christmas tree trail at Disney Springs every year that flies kinda under the radar but they have cool displays.
What’s the trail like? Could someone on a scooter get around easy enough. Are the displays deep in stores where we might run over people’s toes? We’ve been to Disney a bunch, but DS only a couple of times.

What’s the trail like? Could someone on a scooter get around easy enough. Are the displays deep in stores where we might run over people’s toes? We’ve been to Disney a bunch, but DS only a couple of times.
They are all in outdoor areas so lots of room to navigate on a scooter. They are scattered around but you can usually get a map of where they are all located when you get to DS.

They are all in outdoor areas so lots of room to navigate on a scooter. They are scattered around but you can usually get a map of where they are all located when you get to DS.
I'm hoping they have a Christmas drone thing like they had several years ago. The summer version sounds like a big hit.

For this I think the best tool will be Touring Plans’ Touring Plan. They have 98% of these events and times. It can be really helpful for a plan like yours that involves showtimes and breaks. It might seem complicated at first. There’s so many options. Just start with a one day simple plan and have it ‘optimize’. That will help you understand how it works, from there go back in and add/adjust things, and optimize again. Planning the next days will be muh easier once you see how it works.

A lot of the resorts have a scavenger hunt. I think they currently all have a character you can find and get a little button for finding.

Riviera has an art scavenger hunt. There is also a Skyliner resort scavenger hunt.

Epcot may also have a seasonal scavenger hunt. You have to pay for it - it's been about $10 - but you also get a prize.

I agree with the Touring Plans suggestion. There's a bit of a learning curve, but then I find it easier to find all the show times in one place vs. the Disney app that I somehow still struggle to navigate.

Yes, that’s big on our list. Thanks for the guide. You know you have a bunch of days ahead and in a blink it’s over. I’d like to plan better.

The Christmas Tree trail has traditionally been held in the old Marketplace bus stop. It's easy for a scooter - and has dozens of trees with some surrounding theming. Basically, each tree is a theme - whether for a character, a movie, or a place. They have 'snow' machines so as you walk through, there's snow falling and Christmas music playing - and they have a few snack/drink stands there for holiday drinks. It's cute - you can do a 10 minute walk-thru or linger through slowly taking in all the tree decorations and it might be 30-40 minutes.

One thing on our list is fort wilderness in the evening. About 8 years ago, displays that people put up were amazing. Never saw it as great as that year. Still nice, but that year was amazing.

Last edited:
We are huge fans of less ride days in December. The Epcot Christmas Storytellers are a must. Italy and France are two of our favorites but we always see them all. That amount of zipping around World Showcase requires a break. We rocked out at UK for extended stay after seeing Father Christmas. Another great stop is in Christmas themed entertainers in Canada at the Mill Stage. Advanced warning show times are not sequential around World Show case. No is there a map. I highly recommend printing a park map and write the times to lessen the amount back tracking. I also recommend see the Storytellers over 2 days and take some time to take in all the Christmas decorations and atmosphere.

Resort hopping and seeing all the Christmas decorations is a favorite family activity. Steakhouse 71 for lunch is our favorite we tour the Monorail decorations. Sit down meals at dinner on the Monorail resorts are not low key at Grand Floridian. You may even find just stopping at Grand Floridan to see the Christmas decorations and Gingerbread house a challenge. Highly recommend weekdays earlier in the day 10ish.

The sleigh ride at Fort Wilderness is another fun day. Dinner at Jinko or Sanaa is a perfect excuse to see all the wonderful Christmas decorations at Animal Kingdom lodge. If we eat at Sanaa, we walk up to Jambo house (pretend that balances out the desert) or vice versa if we eat at Jinko. There is shuttle if you are unable to walk both ways between the resorts.

A boat ride to Port Orleans French Quarter for Beignets and an adult beverage before or after you see the Christmas decorations. Yehaa Bob is another solid option while you are in this area. If really adventurous you can plan a meal at Disney Springs, Beignets at French Quarter before you see Yehaa Bob.

The boardwalk resorts at Christmas is another fun day or evening. Do not forget the Swan and Dolphin they have some of our favorite signature restaurants.

Grand Floridian - Avoid going there on MK party days between 6-8pm if possible. It’s a very convenient time to visit on your way out from short hours at MK, but for that reason the lobby gets PACKED. The line for Gingerbread House is 30-60 minutes.

We are huge fans of less ride days in December. The Epcot Christmas Storytellers are a must. Italy and France are two of our favorites but we always see them all. That amount of zipping around World Showcase requires a break. We rocked out at UK for extended stay after seeing Father Christmas. Another great stop is in Christmas themed entertainers in Canada at the Mill Stage. Advanced warning show times are not sequential around World Show case. No is there a map. I highly recommend printing a park map and write the times to lessen the amount back tracking. I also recommend see the Storytellers over 2 days and take some time to take in all the Christmas decorations and atmosphere.

Resort hopping and seeing all the Christmas decorations is a favorite family activity. Steakhouse 71 for lunch is our favorite we tour the Monorail decorations. Sit down meals at dinner on the Monorail resorts are not low key at Grand Floridian. You may even find just stopping at Grand Floridan to see the Christmas decorations and Gingerbread house a challenge. Highly recommend weekdays earlier in the day 10ish.

The sleigh ride at Fort Wilderness is another fun day. Dinner at Jinko or Sanaa is a perfect excuse to see all the wonderful Christmas decorations at Animal Kingdom lodge. If we eat at Sanaa, we walk up to Jambo house (pretend that balances out the desert) or vice versa if we eat at Jinko. There is shuttle if you are unable to walk both ways between the resorts.

A boat ride to Port Orleans French Quarter for Beignets and an adult beverage before or after you see the Christmas decorations. Yehaa Bob is another solid option while you are in this area. If really adventurous you can plan a meal at Disney Springs, Beignets at French Quarter before you see Yehaa Bob.

The boardwalk resorts at Christmas is another fun day or evening. Do not forget the Swan and Dolphin they have some of our favorite signature restaurants.
Can those boats handle a EVC? We took those boats a hundred years ago and just don't remember.
Grand Floridian - Avoid going there on MK party days between 6-8pm if possible. It’s a very convenient time to visit on your way out from short hours at MK, but for that reason the lobby gets PACKED. The line for Gingerbread House is 30-60 minutes.
Good point, makes sense.

I absolutely love the drummers in Japan. The show is always there, and its mesmerizing. Showtimes listed on app under Showtimes. Its called Matsuriza.

I second the suggestion to see Yeehaw Bob at POR. I use an ECV and I can't remember if the boats at that resort to Springs handle ECVs. You could always use the Minnie Vans to get there. On the Lyft app there is an option to summon the ECV friendly Minnie Van. I like it for resort to resort trips. Get to Yeehaw Bob a bit early if you can.

Have you been to the Grand Floridian spa? It's lovely. I've taken my adult sons there with me for manicures (you don't have to get polish). The relaxation room they put you in to wait is worth the price - it's so peaceful back there. I could make a day of that spa and I'm not a spa person.

I have trouble walking (getting both knees replaced one at a time currently). I can do some rides but I've gotten more into the entertainment stuff. I have REALLY enjoyed the after hours parties. I did MVMCP and Jollywood last year and those were great - lots of special entertainment you don't get otherwise. I also think the dessert parties are fun for the evening fireworks. Not sure how much you want to spend on extras.

That Candlelight Processional is not always a "run into the park and catch it" experience depending on who the narrator is. Some Narrators are wicked popular and the lines start hours and hours ...and hours...ahead of time. When the schedule comes out check who is there during your trip and - easiest thing to do - book a Candlelight dinner package and you can guarantee your seats. We saw John Stamos last time and Neil Patrick Harris was there the next night. The Epcot crowds around the theater were insane. INSANE. We saw people trying to line up around noon....or maybe earlier. My son is a CM and I go to WDW a lot and I just wouldn't roll up on the Processional unless I hadn't planned to go and saw it wasn't busy - which has never happened - haha! You might luck out with a less well known narrator that people aren't interested in as much?

Do you like to dine out? So many options but one that surprised me was Coral Reef - we did our Candlelight processional package dining there and I loved sitting and looking at that giant wall of an aquarium - very cool. Space220 can be interesting (lunch is cheaper).

You can rent some sort of kinda big boat over at the GF dock and it wasn't all that expensive for an hour. You drive it. I think that could be kind of fun. It was like a pontoon boat or something not a tiny boat. $49 a half hour. I think other marinas rent them too: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/motorized-boats/

The Keys to the Kingdom tours and other tours are great - I did that one on an ECV.

The glassblowing guy on Main Street in the MK is fun to watch.

One thing I've not done but watched people livestream it on YouTube is renting a golf cart over at Fort Wilderness campground and touring all the Christmas/holiday decorations that people set up at their campsite - they go all out and it's crazy looking. It's popular and I don't know if you can reserve a golf cart in advance but I'd try to make a reservation for one and maybe eat dinner over there. Of course it's better to go after dark!

Also make sure you ride Living with the Land at night because they decorate it for Christmas. It's there in the day but you don't see all the lights.

Can those boats handle a EVC? We took those boats a hundred years ago and just don't remember.

Good point, makes sense.
Yes, the boats can handle an EVC. Our travel party has an EVC and Wheelchair when we are all together. There is also a boat that travels between EPCOT and Hollywood Studios with stops at all the boardwalk hotels including the Dolphin and Swan.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest