Help me figure out how to rent DVC points for free

"There’s no good reason for a DVC owner to accept anything other than cash. If I was in need of a Disney Gift Card, which I could use to pay dues, I’d still rent my points out for cash and use the various techniques to buy discounted gift cards."

They take things other than cash. That's a direct quote from you. I have no idea how you think this usually works? Do you think the renter drives over and hand delivers cash. In my experience it's been CC every. single. time. I'm not saying some don't take cc, but I haven't come across it yet.
Read my post again. Of course there are ways that owners can accept other forms of payment. But “there’s no good reason” for them to accomodate you. That’s a direct quote. No owner is going to accept a gift card.

"There’s no good reason for a DVC owner to accept anything other than cash"

That's your original statement, it's ok that you're the type of person that can't admit a really small mistake on a web forum but at least we can agree that they take credit cards. It's ok to say, oops! I didn't mean that. I misspoke, or I didn't know that!

Have a good one.

They are wrong in this case. Many private citizens can take credit cards through various apps, websites, and even some banks. If you wanted to pay me right now via cc I could set something up in about 3 minutes.

As I said, I paid via CC multiple times to different sites, and in one case a private person. Not all may do this but I have only ever used CC and to say none do, as the other person did, is wrong.

I'm saying some do, not all. He is dealing in an absolute that is simply false. I'm not trying to be harsh but spreading false information is not helpful to anyone involved. I apologize if you're not familiar with the various ways/apps that allow for taking credit cards now. They're out there.

I would NEVER EVER use paypal. My CC offers 100% protection vs scams or failure to meet the agreement, paypal has a long and stupid dispute process.

To be clear here, if you don't know the answer but yet decide to insist no dvc rental places/people take credit card, that's making stuff up. That's it. If you don't know the answer, the best action is usually to either offer what you do know with a caveat, or what you think with a caveat, or say nothing at all.

I don't know all take CC, but I sure do know lots do. CC is safer for the seller and purchaser. It is relatively easy to defraud paypal from either side. Have fun trying to pull that off with a CC.
CAN and WILL are two different things. Anyone CAN avail themselves of one of those credit card processing apps. Most owners WILL NOT use them for occasional DVC renting purposes.

It comes down the already slim edge between what it cost to own DVC and what you can get for your points on the rental market. The majority of DVC owners who casually rent privately are not willing to pay the processing fees on a bunch of $100 rewards cards like the OP wants to use (note that those things are not credit cards or even gift cards) so that the OP can "rent DVC for free" using Swagbucks Virtual MasterCard Rewards. An app like Square would keep 3.5% of the payment plus 15 cents for each of the manually entered transactions. You're just not going to find a lot of private renters willing to go to that expense when the next eager renter in line can pay using a method that doesn't cost the owner anything to accept.

There is nothing wrong with what SuperSnoop stated.

Every owner that I have come across on the Rent/Trade Board prefers cash/money order/cashiers check but will take a Paypal CC payment but they will tack on the 3% (or whatever it is) fee. I haven't run across any that are willing to set up an app or any other mode to accept CC payments. Cash is king.

With the demand being much higher than the supply of DVC rentals there really is no good reason for them to take anything other than cold hard cash.

"There’s no good reason for a DVC owner to accept anything other than cash"

That's your original statement, it's ok that you're the type of person that can't admit a really small mistake on a web forum but at least we can agree that they take credit cards. It's ok to say, oops! I didn't mean that. I misspoke, or I didn't know that!

Have a good one.
Maybe I’ve been in politics too long, but I meant exactly what I said. Words matter. It’s not my fault if you misread or misinterpreted my statement.

As a DVC owner and a also someone who has done DVC transfers - I work in cash/check only. Especially now that it's so easy to deposit/pay via check quickly.

while there may be some that take credit - I will not and I'm sure I'm not alone and agree with the PP who said there is no good reason. I would only consider it with distressed points or if going thru an agency that would deal with disputes, and if the fee were passed on to the renter.

As a DVC owner and a also someone who has done DVC transfers - I work in cash/check only. Especially now that it's so easy to deposit/pay via check quickly.

while there may be some that take credit - I will not and I'm sure I'm not alone and agree with the PP who said there is no good reason. I would only consider it with distressed points or if going thru an agency that would deal with disputes, and if the fee were passed on to the renter.
Right there with you. As another DVC owner, I will never accept anything other than cash or check. If someone wants to accept credit cards, more power to them.

Right there with you. As another DVC owner, I will never accept anything other than cash or check. If someone wants to accept credit cards, more power to them.

And another DVC owner - if I were going direct, it would be a cash or check transaction. No paypal (they don't find in a timeshare owners favor if there is a complaint), no credit cards.

Now, I might rent my points though a broker, and they might take a credit card. But I'm not taking the credit card hit on the sale to put it through my personal square account. Don't need to - points rent fast.

I already use Swagbucks to purchase Walmart/Sam's Club gift cards to purchase Disney gift cards at a discount. I know that if I want to stay at the Swan & Dolphin for free I can use points from the Amex SPG card. But if I want to rent DVC points what is my best Swagbucks and/or credit card strategy? The only think I can think of is to accumulate my Swagbucks and then to cash them out for a Mastercard gift card. Any other suggestions?

If you have THAT many swagbucks and cash them out, you, in theory, need to file and report the taxes on them. Also, if you're doing all this WORK to get these points/rewards/swagbucks, you're not getting it for free. You just aren't.

When I first read the title of the thread, I honestly thought this topic needed to be reported for trying to scam DVC owners. After reading your post, I get what you're trying to do, but in the end, it isn't free.

SB's can be sent to paypal. If you go get Disney GC's, it's still your money going onto the cards.

Cash only, here. No paypal--too much chance of getting ripped off with a fraudulent chargeback.

I used to rent points out---extra points. No way would I set up a CC account to rent out the few points I owned. Now, those who've turned renting DVC points into a business, that's another story.

I used to rent points out---extra points. No way would I set up a CC account to rent out the few points I owned. Now, those who've turned renting DVC points into a business, that's another story.

What this person said!

I agree also with Supersnoop.

"I apologize if you're not familar"...now that's funny. Thanks for the humor, eswift.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter