Help! I have to make a Nesco of stuffing

yoopermom

Come join Bravo by the fire...
I usually just buy Stouffers and make one box that we eat immediately;). Now we're feeding the football team a preThanksgiving playoff game supper on Friday, and I've been assigned a Nesco (roaster) full of stuffing. It's on sale, so I just plan on buying a bajillion boxes of it, but how am I going to keep it moist? Literally make it and take it?

TIA!
Terri

Don't know what a "nesco full of stuffing" is, but I make my stuffing in the crockpot. It takes about 5 hours and it's so moist and delicious. How many people are you feeding?

Large thermos of chicken broth, add as needed.

I'm sorry, a regional thing obviously, a Nesco is a roaster. There will be about 40 starving football players eating (although I don't know if all will like stuffing).

So, with the chicken broth thing, I would just make it like normal as close to transport time as possible, bring the broth and add as necessary to keep it moist? (Good idea!)

Terri

Stove Top is plain nasty and stuffing isn't exactly rocket science. Besides, home-made is cheaper as well.

If you don't want to make homemade I suggest using the Bell's stuffing mix. MUCH better than stove top!

If you don't want to make homemade I suggest using the Bell's stuffing mix. MUCH better than stove top!

Ah, we don't have that here. I had to look it up being a stuffing snob.:snooty:

OP if you are interested I will give you my sausage stuffing recipe. It is pretty easy.

Ah, we don't have that here. I had to look it up being a stuffing snob.:snooty:

OP if you are interested I will give you my sausage stuffing recipe. It is pretty easy.

It's good- much closer to homemade. Probably because I always use the Bell's Poultry Seasoning in my stuffing........ :thumbsup2

It's good- much closer to homemade. Probably because I always use the Bell's Poultry Seasoning in my stuffing........ :thumbsup2

We have Pepperidge Farm here. I don't use too many seasonings in my stuffing. Just some sage and poultry seasoning.

However I have been skipping that lately. I put sausage in my stuffing and that delivers enough flavor along with the homemade broth.

The homemade broth is what makes the stuffing taste superb. It is a science.:3dglasses

I make mine using Pepperidge farm in my 4 qt Nesco roaster oven. :upsidedow

Thanks everyone, for your thoughts. I'm more than willing to entertain the idea of homemade, if it's really, REALLY easy (no I mean really:rotfl2:). It would have to be pretty plain, because, as my DS said, "Mom, don't put any PARTS in there!" (Since I'm not making the turkey, I wouldn't have any parts, so I think he's safe;)).

If I do go with a boxed mix souped up, how many boxes do you think I'll need?

Oh, and at PT conferences tonight, another football mom said to me angrily, "YOU took stuffing, and I got stuck with sweet potatoes!" (I almost offered to switch, but then changed my mind:):) )

Thanks again all!

Terri

Stuffing is easy and you don't have to put "parts" in it or meat for that matter.

Did you read the Pepperidge Farm link? It is almost the same as Stove Top, except the bread will hold up in the roaster unlike with Stove Top, which is just too "soft" and will get very mushy.

Now I do put sausage in mine because that is what we make in my family (Polish descent).

My Italian SIL puts hamburger in her homemade family recipe.

Yes, the link is excellent, thank you! Here's my next question, can I actually cook it in the Nesco at the same temp (it calls for doing it in the oven), and then just turning it down to keep it warm until serving time? I assume so, but I've had previous cooking disasters, so thought I better ask!

Terri

Yes, the link is excellent, thank you! Here's my next question, can I actually cook it in the Nesco at the same temp (it calls for doing it in the oven), and then just turning it down to keep it warm until serving time? I assume so, but I've had previous cooking disasters, so thought I better ask!

Terri

I would just make it up and toss it in the roaster.:thumbsup2

I love how different regions have different stuffings... around here stuffing is bread crumbs- onion (maybe some celery too) sauteed in butter- salt and poultry seasoning (hot water to consistency). That's its.

I love how different regions have different stuffings... around here stuffing is bread crumbs- onion (maybe some celery too) sauteed in butter- salt and poultry seasoning (hot water to consistency). That's its.

Similiar...it is that Polish thing, I guess.

First I have to make homemade broth...oh yea. Lots of it because I use it for the gravy as well. I buy chicken pieces and turkey necks and make a nice broth with onion, celery in it. Normally I make broth the day before so I strain it and then put it in the fridge for T-Day.

To make stuffing....

I brown my sausage, drain, set aside (the kind in the plasic tube shape thing).

Then I saute a chopped vidalia onion and about 2 stalks of chopped celery in about a stick of margarine.

Add sausage, then add the bag of Pepperidge Farm herbed stuffing mix. You can toss a dash of poultry seasoning in and a dash of sage, however that is optional.

I also put in a beaten egg so it holds together nicely. Of course I skip this sometimes.

Then I add my homemade hot broth to the mix (must be heated), just enough so it is moist but not too wet.

Put in foil or casserole dish, cover and bake.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest