Help! Hojo v CCI

RainyDayPixie

Mouseketeer
Sorry for another "hello me decide post" but I'm stuck!
Thinking of a last minute trip Apr 20-24. I know it will be crazy, but it's when we can swing it.

Trip is me, DH (bad knee), DS (13, 11, 3) and my mom (64, decent health but gets tired with all the walking).

CCI would be about $1600 for 2 rooms.
+ shuttle
+ breakfast
+ cheaper
- older
- pool

Hojo would be about $2300 for the 4Q option (2 adjoining rooms in building 1).
+ pool (esp for 3 yo)
+ newer room
+ always wanted to stay there
- distance
- more expensive
- no distance

Last trip we stayed at Courtyard Marriott Theme Park and both DH and mom were feeling the walk by day 3.

Give me your thoughts! Thanks!!

Candy Cane Inn, no question. If you have bad knees or folks who get tired walking, HoJo will be a trek, especially at the end of the day. Candy Cane Inn is probably only slightly closer but the shuttle would be the decider for me. Plus, cheaper and includes breakfast? I’d go with that, and I’m not even a huge fan of the place :)

Thanks you guys. As soon as I wrote it out, I knew too. Just needed confirmation.

Really appreciate your responses!

If budget is your concern, then clearly CCI is much cheaper. But if HoJo fits your budget and your biggest concern is the distance, I encourage you to rent an ECV for your DH and mom to use on alternate turns. I think we paid about $40/day to rent one from Dechert's and it was SO worthwhile for us given my DH's bad hip. It doesn't sound like they both need their own if they walked in the past, but they could switch off and preserve their endurance.

We have had to rent an ECV from Dechert's on every single one of our trips because DH has had 3 hip surgeries and cannot walk 10 miles/day (and he couldn't even do a 20 minute walk on several of our trips!). They deliver to your hotel and pick up from the bell desk, so I've never even had to arrange to meet them. Using an ECV is a huge hassle during parades (DH says people regularly cut him off and it's hard to maneuver when there are heavy crowds). But it's a luxury when you stay at HoJo as the last 8-10 minutes walking out from the Esplanade can be brutal as you pass by all the other hotels that are closer by.

I know folks are huge fans of CCI, but I go by HydroGuy's rule of finding a hotel within walking distance. Even with a free shuttle, sometimes it's too full and you have to wait for the next one. Or, if you don't time your departure/arrivals right and miss it just as it's pulling away, you end up sitting there waiting for the next shuttle. That's the worst--you're tired and cranky and all you want to do is take off your shoes and take a hot shower. As someone who used mass transit for nearly 10 years, I hated missing the bus by just 2 minutes (watching it drive off!) and then having to stand there for another 45 minutes at the end of a long day.

If budget is your concern, then clearly CCI is much cheaper. But if HoJo fits your budget and your biggest concern is the distance, I encourage you to rent an ECV for your DH and mom to use on alternate turns. I think we paid about $40/day to rent one from Dechert's and it was SO worthwhile for us given my DH's bad hip. It doesn't sound like they both need their own if they walked in the past, but they could switch off and preserve their endurance.

We have had to rent an ECV from Dechert's on every single one of our trips because DH has had 3 hip surgeries and cannot walk 10 miles/day (and he couldn't even do a 20 minute walk on several of our trips!). They deliver to your hotel and pick up from the bell desk, so I've never even had to arrange to meet them. Using an ECV is a huge hassle during parades (DH says people regularly cut him off and it's hard to maneuver when there are heavy crowds). But it's a luxury when you stay at HoJo as the last 8-10 minutes walking out from the Esplanade can be brutal as you pass by all the other hotels that are closer by.

I know folks are huge fans of CCI, but I go by HydroGuy's rule of finding a hotel within walking distance. Even with a free shuttle, sometimes it's too full and you have to wait for the next one. Or, if you don't time your departure/arrivals right and miss it just as it's pulling away, you end up sitting there waiting for the next shuttle. That's the worst--you're tired and cranky and all you want to do is take off your shoes and take a hot shower. As someone who used mass transit for nearly 10 years, I hated missing the bus by just 2 minutes (watching it drive off!) and then having to stand there for another 45 minutes at the end of a long day.

CCI is about the same walking distance as Hojo but also has a dedicated shuttle.

DD (9yo) and I stayed at the CCI last Aug and we really liked it and would not hesitate to stay again.

The CCI may be older but it didn't feel that way. They keep the grounds beautiful and the rooms had some nice touches IMO. It has armoire which included the TV, a small fridge and some draws instead of the typical flat hotel room dresser with the TV on top. The beds had a nice quilt and duvet cover, not the ugly flowered bed spread they show in the pic. if I hjad not know it was one of the original hotles for DL I would have never guessed.

As for the pool, I think most kids are happy just to have a pool, and if the HJ's has a better pool if the kids don't know it they wont miss it :) . Also the second floor around room 226 has good views of the fire works and people who go up every night to watch and were also very quiet when doing so.

There is a 7-11 and a CVS and Walgreens within a 2-3 min walk depending on if you have to wait to cross the street.

With the Hojo's you would have to cross Harbor Blvd and with the CCI it's on the same side of the street.

Also parking is free at the CCI, not sure about the HoJo's.

Definitely CCI... always have had a good experience there. Lots of plusses..... good breakfast, nice grounds, pool is fine, good customer service, and close, easy walking distance and/or their shuttle (which is on-time and a great option when needed!)

DD (9yo) and I stayed at the CCI last Aug and we really liked it and would not hesitate to stay again.

The CCI may be older but it didn't feel that way. They keep the grounds beautiful and the rooms had some nice touches IMO. It has armoire which included the TV, a small fridge and some draws instead of the typical flat hotel room dresser with the TV on top. The beds had a nice quilt and duvet cover, not the ugly flowered bed spread they show in the pic. if I hjad not know it was one of the original hotles for DL I would have never guessed.

As for the pool, I think most kids are happy just to have a pool, and if the HJ's has a better pool if the kids don't know it they wont miss it :) . Also the second floor around room 226 has good views of the fire works and people who go up every night to watch and were also very quiet when doing so.

There is a 7-11 and a CVS and Walgreens within a 2-3 min walk depending on if you have to wait to cross the street.

With the Hojo's you would have to cross Harbor Blvd and with the CCI it's on the same side of the street.

Also parking is free at the CCI, not sure about the HoJo's.
Parking is free at HOJO. It isn't that it has a better pool it has a water play area with slides and spray ground.

At that price difference I say take CCI though.

Given your DH and your mom, you should totally go with Candy Cane Inn. The free shuttle will help you a lot, I think. And doesn't CCI have free parking, too?

... Even with a free shuttle, sometimes it's too full and you have to wait for the next one. Or, if you don't time your departure/arrivals right and miss it just as it's pulling away, you end up sitting there waiting for the next shuttle...
Speaking from personal experience, this has never happened to us with the CCI shuttle. That shuttle runs on time, to the point that you can base your schedule on it. And... the drivers are so helpful that sometimes they will wait for you. For example, on the last run of the night, I made sure the driver knew that we would be on that shuttle, but he also knew that my parents were s.l.o.w! walkers. He assured me that if we weren't at the shuttle stop when he arrived, he would wait a few minutes for us to make sure we made it. (And then he helped my parents up the steps and into their seats.) :) I was super grateful. It's customer service like that that keeps us returning to the CCI! And the CCI is about 8 minutes walk to the Harbor entrance -- hardly further than the HOJO.

Last edited:
I've stayed at both. Hojo has much nicer, larger rooms with better aircon, much nicer beds, and is quieter due to indoor corridors. It has a great little shop, and nice pool, hot tub and children's play area. My mum really felt the walk back there at the end of the day though.
CCI breakfast is meh but it will get you started for the day. Nice hot tub which hardly anyone used while we were there. Small pool, also hardly used. Much nicer guest laundry. Service not as helpful, in fact we booked a rollaway and when we arrived were told we couldn't have one. They had no solution at all as to where the 5th person in the room would sleep! Nice gardens but noisy. Shuttle service excellent. I would probably choose hojo again. My mum would probably choose CCI! We have found a different option that suits us both now - homewood suites next to toy story shuttles.
Hope you enjoy your stay whichever you choose!

Given that price difference I would definitely do
CCI. I've only ever had exceptional service with their shuttle service and even the busiest times it's never been full. I still find the walk faster especially as traffic on harbor can back up.
However it's still nice to have.

I do love HOJO but their prices have gotten a little high for me though it's one of the few hotels on walking distance with free parking if that's a concern. It really comes down to semantics at this point which works better for your family.

If you have people in your party who are not in great walking shape, I'd avoid Hojo. It's a long walk at the end of the day. Great hotel if you have kids, but I'd want easy walking or a dedicated shuttle or some other way of getting to and from the parks without putting that much stress on those who would find it difficult. CCI has premium rooms which are bigger and include breakfast brought to the room and late checkout (2 PM), which might be nice. Are those the only options you could book at this time? I'd go with Desert Inn, Park Vue, BWPPI, or one of the other motels right across the street unless the cost is too high or there's no availability.

Having stayed at both, I'd pick CCI every time. The shuttle runs on time, and has never left anyone behind. The walk is the same to both (right at .53 from center of the esplanade) so even if you had to walk, there is no difference. Parking is free at both. Breakfast at CCI is decent (hard boiled eggs, cheese, danishes, bagels, toast, juices, cereals, oatmeal...) We love the premium rooms and would pay for those.

ETA - Hojo's is a great hotel, and I do like it, CCI is just more what I prefer.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter