• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hello, my first post on this board

TN Dreamer

Mouseketeer (When did that happen?)
Hello to everyone, this is my first post on the photography board. I am a scrapbooker so I love to take pictures! I don't know anything about cameras, I am just a point and shoot type of person, LOL. I bought a Nikon Coolpix in June and then decided to get the Canon S2IS in August. Well, anyway I loaned my Canon to my DS, age 22, to take to NYC for New Years. While he was in the crowd at Times Square someone took the camera bag off his arm.:sad: Yikess!!! was I upset. So I need to replace it and was wondering if anyone has suggestions as to what camera I should get as replacement, or should I just get another Canon S2IS. There was some things about the Canon I did not like, but over all I guess it was pretty good camera.

I'm very sorry to hear about your camera. That really stinks. Would it be covered under a homeowner's policy?

Besides getting your camera stolen, I could have written your post! I also love to scrapbook and upgraded in July from a Nikon Coolpix to a Canon S2 IS. The shutter lag on the Nikon drove me crazy!

I don't really have any camera recommendations for you. I love my Canon because it is easy to carry around and takes great pics outdoors. Also the zoom is great. I did find it limiting for what I want to do and upgraded after 5 months to a Nikon D50. My first SLR!!

If you want to stay with a point/shoot, I think the Canon is a great camera. At least you wouldn't have to learn to operate another camera. Good luck in your search!

Janet

Welcome to the Photography Board Vickey!

The Canon is a nice camera but since you have an "opportunity" to look at new cameras I would suggest you look at the newest models from Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Fuji. Depending on whether your son had all of your memory cards with him or not you may want to look at cameras which used the same type of memory as the S2 which is the SD. Some of the models that are quite popular right now are the Canon PowerShot A620, Sony Cybershot DSC-P200, Nikon CoolPix P1, Olympus C-7070 or the Fuji FinPix F10. I would recommend looking at several models and if you can play with them and see which has the feel you are looking for. You mentioned that the S2 had some things you didn't like, you might make a list of the positives and negatives of your last camera and then evaluate the current offerings to see which ones are a good match for your needs.

Jeff

Candlestix, yes I believe my homeowners insurance will cover everything (they got my bag, camera, extra rechargeable batteries, memory card and cables), less deductible. Luckly I backed up all of my Christmas photos off of memory card to CD before he left.
Needless to say, it just about ruined my DS's trip when the camera was stolen. Not to mention, the first night he was in NY he and his friends returned to their hotel room to find a strange man sleeping in their bed!! The hotel had double booked his room! This is trip was a nightmare!
I have a Canon EOS Elan 7 as well, it takes great photos, but I like a smaller camera. Now that I have an opportunity to get another camera I may shop around.

Jeff, thank you very much for your suggestions. Yes, I think I will do some comparison shopping. I do like the Canon brand, since I have owned a Canon for years. I was not impressed with the Nikon Coolpix camera. That was the camera we took to WDW in July and the aperture would stick when the lens open and closed, and it ruined quite a few photos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter