He Just Came For The Food: A March 2018 Dining Report *update 9/22 S. Hollow/GF Cafe

Alright, you have quite possibly swayed me on Citricos! I had actually sworn off signatures on our upcoming vacation because (Shock/Horror) my husband never thinks they are worth the $$$. But, I mean, you've made it sound soooo amazing, and we've never been so....

However as we moved towards our apps it began to fill up which was nice because it made it more......pleasant. OK, that was a dumb sentence. Anyway I prefer there to be a decent amount of other diners in a restaurant when we're there, I feel weird when it's close to empty. That's it.
:rotfl:Laughing at you saying that was a dumb sentence.

the only other thing I can say is TRY THIS whether you hate mushrooms or not. I'm looking at you Kari @kastoney :P
I am not a mushroom fan at all - one of a few things Kari and I have in common as far as food - but I know for a fact that I love my mom's chicken casserole and there are mushrooms in it. So I guess it just depends on the dish.

Before this dinner, Restaurant Marrakesh held the #1 spot, but I'm happy to report the Artist Point mussels have taken the top spot and moved Marrakesh to #2.
Yay for AP!

We've had our share of excellent filets at signatures and this was right up there as one of the best as were the potatoes, which were second only to Citricos.
Good to know!

A beautiful, generous and much appreciated surprise from @Jenny Sanders and her DH Joe! The basket was filled with candy and goodies we all enjoyed. So one more time Jenny, thank you :hug::hug:

You are so very welcome!!!!!!! It's the least we could do after all that delicious alcohol down at Geyser Point, so thank you!!!!!

So happy your stepson and his new girlfriend hit it off!!!! I was wondering all last weekend how that was going...By the way, they are ADORABLE together.
Finally, LOVE the pic of Steve with the ugly stepsister!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve said they were awesome but no way was I trying something that looked like that :laughing: Chris attempted and declined to try anymore.
Um...no. Not a fan.

Cobbler
Seasonal Berries, Forest Berry Ice Cream

img_8288-jpg.321814
They have this on the menu at Territory Lounge so I am wondering if I can just grab it to go from there this June. I definitely noted it when I printed out the menu. I'm a sucker for berry desserts.

complimented my cascadia sangria's, blueberry lemonades and couple glasses of Moscato well ;)
:thumbsup2

When we left, Steve spoke with the GM again to praise Christine. The GM gave us her card with her email and told us that in the future, we can email her when we'll be dining there and she'll be sure to put us in either Rony or Christine's section.
I love this!

They'd only met for the first time on Sat. the 5th after communicating over the phone and through social media for 8 months; needless to say they hit it off great
I'm so glad it worked out!

I'm guessing he may be traveling down with us in August!
Nice! :)

Wow! What amazing service at Citrico's. I love hearing stories like that. I've only dined there once (not sure why since we really liked it) and we had a server named Christine (it sticks out since that's my name as well). You're making me think I really need to take another look at upcoming trip plans and work a return visit in.

Similar thought on Artist Point. I've only been once but love WL overall and that mushroom soup. :love: And I hate mushrooms although I think for me it's primarily a texture thing so that's a non-issue with soup. I've not yet visited Geyser Point but that's for sure on my must-do list for next trip. It looks absolutely divine.

Oh and you are not alone in preferring a busy/busier restaurant. There's something comforting about the "buzz" of a bustling restaurant. Plus when I'm one of the only diners I wonder what's wrong with the place. :rolleyes2

Your Artist Point dinner sounds amazing! We last ate there on Thanksgiving 2006! Geeze, I think it's about time we give it another try, lol! We've never been to Citrico's. Another one to put on the list! Oh, and the mussels! We tried the mussels at Marrakesh for the first time on this past trip, and O.M.G.!!! They were so so so so good! I could have licked the bowl. The best mussels I've ever had, ever, and I've had a lot of mussels. I can't even imagine having better. On the other hand, we had mussels on this trip at Trattoria al Forno. also, and they were gross, fishy & slimy. Yuck!

Last edited:
Nice meal at Artist Point, I hope to return there someday. I wonder if your Rony sub was our server at Citricos also? I had written down Christina, but I may have heard/read incorrectly. Either way, the server you had sounds the same degree of fantastic. I loved that restaurant and will return the first chance I get. Kalamata olive bread...

The mushroom taste isn't overpowering which works for me, but I assume it's there enough for mushroom lovers since it's so popular. You definitely get the "smoky" flavor; this soup is also very, very creamy yet not filling which I feel is hard to accomplish.
That soup looks amazing! I had hopes of trying it at Territory lounge but I don't see it on the menu there anymore. After reading your gorgeous AP review, now I think we have to eat there on our anniversary trip!

Artisanal Cheeses:
Handcrafted Breads and Seasonal Accompainments
Now that is a cheese plate! It looks like it could feed the whole family! Love to see how Chris's palate is expanding. :)

Steamed Mussels:
Tomato Broth, Kalamatas, Huile d' Olive, Artisan Bread
I grew up in Prince Edward Island where mussels are farmed. My three LOVE mussels and have been known to polish off 15 lbs of them before attacking a full lobster dinner. Ricky would fit right in!!

Half Roast Chicken:
New Potatoes, Lardons, Grain Mustard, Roasted Cabbage, Spring Greens, Jus
That looks delicious!

7-oz Filet Mignon
Choice of House Side
all my boys (including my lovely husband, lol) would be all over that filet!

Crispy Brussels Sprouts
Fermented Bean Vinaigrette
I would love these. I have never met a veggie that I didn't love and brussels are one of my absolute faves.

We were all completely full from our fabulous dinner and as we ate we unanimously agreed we'd be back. We also agreed we were too full for dessert (gasp!!), until our server brought the menu. Chris then decided he needed to get something:

Cobbler
Seasonal Berries, Forest Berry Ice Cream
Dessert is always a good thing!Sounds like a stellar meal!

As you now know, Artist Point was a win for us. It used to be that it was always raved about here; lately I've seen mixed reviews but it's still on our list for a future trip. The service was fine, not as good as other signatures but certainly nothing to complain about.

On our way back from watching HEA we made a quick stop in Roaring Fork. Ricky requested a brownie he'd had his eye on and since I technically didn't have my own dessert I picked up another one of my loves, pictured here in the background with the brownie:
So yummy! Quick question about the magic bars.....do they have nuts in them?

The food as always was incredible, I even had a crab salad dish as an app and I DON'T EAT SEAFOOD! I loved it!! When we left, Steve spoke with the GM again to praise Christine. The GM gave us her card with her email and told us that in the future, we can email her when we'll be dining there and she'll be sure to put us in either Rony or Christine's section. Again I'm sorry for no photos and tons of wording but had to share our most recent wonderful experience there!
Ariane, you are killing me! All of these great reviews are making me add more and more restaurants to our anniversary trip. I feel like we are just going to eat for 10 days straight!

Finally, here are some pictures of my stepson and his girlfriend from this trip. They'd only met for the first time on Sat. the 5th after communicating over the phone and through social media for 8 months; needless to say they hit it off great:
They are too cute!

Your dinner at Artist Point sounds like it was very good. We have made it a regular stop when we go to WDW. I agree with you about the empty dining room. We usually eat around 6 pm and the dining room is always mostly empty until much later in the evening. Our very first experience with a cheese platter was at Artist Point. We received a complimentary one and it was so much fun to eat. I loved trying the different combinations. I had the roasted Russell sprouts as a side to my filet and they were pretty good. It wasn't something I would have ordered on purpose so it was a good thing it came with the entree. The Oregon blackberry cobbler is our favorite dessert at WL and we always order it, even when we aren't hungry. :)

It's one of the better tuna sandwiches I've had and it's always fresh-tasting. I know some of you are wondering why I ate a tuna sandwich when I don't eat seafood? Steve gets so confused by this since he says tuna is one of the fishiest tasting fishes, but for whatever reason I like it!

Just catching up- love your posts! I am exactly the same way lol. Fish and chips and tuna sandwiches are the only seafood I will eat. Tried others but not a fan

Your AP dinner looked delicious. I really need to get my hands on a magic bar soon.
So far only one signature has disappointed; I was very happy AP delivered!
Everyone needs a Magic Bar in their life, and often :D

I know what you mean. We usually do the 5:05 seating of Wispering Canyon and the place starts off empty since they are just filling the place up. And there is just something strange about an empty restaurant.
Exactly.
And speaking of WCC-have you heard all the rumors and nonsense about the stopping all the shenanigans :headache: Such bull! I totally get that some people aren't into that and if I'm not in the mood, I won't go. But it's FUN. And it's TWO restaurants on property that do stuff like this. I'm seeing conflicting reports, the latest being that the CM's were just asked to tone down the antics so we'll see but either way I'm disappointed. I have a WCC breakfast review coming up!

Ha. Did you have any notes like @kastoney?
:laughing: I couldn't even TAKE notes!

I want to put one signature on our list next time I think. Maybe I will put Citricos on the list....
You should, and if not Citricos definitely give one a try. Yes the price is higher but in my opinion, the food is worth it. We've been taking the boys for quite a few years now and of course Kari has been taking Casey since geez, I think since she was a toddler? And our kids have never been the only kids in any signature.

I am so glad you finally made it to 1900 Park Fare! Maybe she will be more of a regular on some of your trips, and you can get some other "girly" things in.
That would be nice :) But......we weren't impressed with 1900 dinner. The food was mediocre and while Lady Tremaine was fun and Drizella was also, the other characters weren't as great as I expected. Well I didn't expect much from Prince Charming lol, I never hear that he's impressive. But between that and the food it isn't something I need to repeat.

Not sure I'd be a fan of multi-grain. They used to have really good sourdough bread. For a Pacific Northwest restaurant, I'm surprised they changed it.
Ooh I would have super loved sourdough, but I'll pretty much enjoy any bread.

All I can say is when pigs fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How about, "when a squirrel tries to play a yo-yo"? :yo-yo::squirrel:

Now this is right up my alley. That looks gorgeous.
It is a very attractive cheese plate princess: Seriously, I enjoy many Disney cheese plates but the presentation on this was probably the best.

Yum, this looks so good. I don't think I've ever seen a Mac n Cheese with pork combo.
What, you don't make Casey Kraft mac n cheese with cut up hot dogs? That was my mom's go-to for us when she started working!

They most certainly do not. They look amazing!!!!! With brussels sprouts the burnter the better!
:crazy2: :scared: :crazy: :badpc: :faint: :sick:

Good, we have a babysitter :-)
:cheer2:

Ooooh, I am SO excited to hear this! I was hoping that'd be the case. ;)
I am really glad they got along and it was wonderful seeing Eric so happy; not that he isn't normally happy but being his first relationship, it was different and nice. But, still not a fan of her parents asking him to move in :confused3

Alright, you have quite possibly swayed me on Citricos! I had actually sworn off signatures on our upcoming vacation because (Shock/Horror) my husband never thinks they are worth the $$$. But, I mean, you've made it sound soooo amazing, and we've never been so....
I get where your DH is coming from! Prices aren't inexpensive at the Disney signatures. Steve and I love to eat so much that, as long as the food is delicious, we're ok with the price. And as I mentioned above we've only had one signature meal that we weren't impressed with so they're almost always hits with us. I say talk him into trying either Citricos or another signature you haven't been to before, maybe he'll change his mind!

I love mushrooms, please don’t hate me:rotfl:That soup looks amazing! I am so excited to stay at WL for the first time in August. I would love to eat there one night, I need to check out the menu to see if Andi will try it!

How nice to have bonded with wait staff at Citricos, I think you must go to WDW often:rotfl2:

but I know for a fact that I love my mom's chicken casserole and there are mushrooms in it. So I guess it just depends on the dish.
True. I love Steve's chicken marsala but I won't eat the mushrooms. Love the TASTE, just not the actual mushrooms.

So happy your stepson and his new girlfriend hit it off!!!! I was wondering all last weekend how that was going...By the way, they are ADORABLE together.
Hey Jenny! I did get your text, I'm sorry I haven't answered yet I lost my phone for about a day and it's also been crazy here with some stuff :crazy: But yes, they had a wonderful time together! I'm very interested to see who they are when she comes up in July; that will be 2 weeks so, will they be as lovey-dovey the whole time? Fight at all? Get bored? I think it'll be more of a "test". At this point he isn't planning on going down before then but I'm also still thinking he'll come down in August.

Wow! What amazing service at Citrico's. I love hearing stories like that. I've only dined there once (not sure why since we really liked it) and we had a server named Christine (it sticks out since that's my name as well). You're making me think I really need to take another look at upcoming trip plans and work a return visit in.
There are some other signatures we haven't tried and a couple we've only been to once that I'd like to return to, but Steve absolutely LOVES Citricos and even when I think, "man, I wish we were trying someplace different", once we're there I'm extremely happy we are! Really the service is a huge part of it which is why I tell everyone to request Rony, and now Rony OR Christine :thumbsup2

Similar thought on Artist Point. I've only been once but love WL overall and that mushroom soup. :love: And I hate mushrooms although I think for me it's primarily a texture thing so that's a non-issue with soup
I believe it's a texture thing for me, also. Like I said above, I love Steve's chicken marsala and love the mushroom taste, but won't eat the mushrooms.

I've not yet visited Geyser Point but that's for sure on my must-do list for next trip. It looks absolutely divine.
Sitting out there at night is perfection :cloud9: Whether it's for drinks, dinner, snacks, sitting around the firepit making s'mores, or just to watch the EWP go by! Even during the day the view is gorgeous, so make sure you do try it!

Oh, and the mussels! We tried the mussels at Marrakesh for the first time on this past trip, and O.M.G.!!! They were so so so so good! I could have licked the bowl.
It's so good to hear you enjoyed them! I feel like poor Restaurant Marrakesh doesn't get any love and both times we've been there we thought it was great!

On the other hand, we had mussels on this trip at Trattoria al Forno. also, and they were gross, fishy & slimy. Yuck!
Ah, THAT was the 5th place Ricky had mussels on his big 5 rate the mussels trip! And he didn't like them there, either.

Nice meal at Artist Point, I hope to return there someday. I wonder if your Rony sub was our server at Citricos also? I had written down Christina, but I may have heard/read incorrectly.
I bet it was! Happy to hear more Citricos love along with the Marrakesh love. Citricos is anther underrated restaurant.

I loved that restaurant and will return the first chance I get. Kalamata olive bread...
:worship:

That soup looks amazing! I had hopes of trying it at Territory lounge but I don't see it on the menu there anymore. After reading your gorgeous AP review, now I think we have to eat there on our anniversary trip!
Yeah.....they've changed the TL menu a couple times recently :( The first time I had the soup, in Aug. 2016, it was on the menu there and that's where I had it. The next time we were there in March 2017, gone. I checked this past March and still not there, so the only place to get it is at AP. But it's worth the reservation!

I would love these. I have never met a veggie that I didn't love and brussels are one of my absolute faves.
I guess there are more weird people out there that like Brussels Sprouts than I thought :laughing:

So yummy! Quick question about the magic bars.....do they have nuts in them?
Hmm :scratchin You know I can't say for sure. You can't SEE any nuts, but I swear I taste like, chopped up walnuts. @pepperandchips makes her own, maybe she knows better?

Ariane, you are killing me! All of these great reviews are making me add more and more restaurants to our anniversary trip. I feel like we are just going to eat for 10 days straight!
lol it's always a problem, too many places to eat and not enough time! Maybe you can plan a little park time in between restaurants :rotfl:

Your dinner at Artist Point sounds like it was very good. We have made it a regular stop when we go to WDW. I agree with you about the empty dining room. We usually eat around 6 pm and the dining room is always mostly empty until much later in the evening.
Yes, it started getting busy around 6:45ish? And by the time we left it was pretty much full! We'll definitely be back!

Just catching up- love your posts! I am exactly the same way lol. Fish and chips and tuna sandwiches are the only seafood I will eat. Tried others but not a fan
I'm glad you're enjoying! You know actually I can do fish and chips to a point also. I'll eat the edges lol where the fish isn't so thick!

I'm just over here drooling over these sprouts ...
...THEN I get to the part where you say they look grotesque :eek::scared1::laughing::laughing:

I'm a brussel sprouts lover :confused3:rotfl:
You are STRANGE! Just kidding :hug:

Oh, Citrico's olive bread is delicious. My favorite bread on Disney property outside of V&As.
Since I have yet to try V&A's the bread at Citricos is my favorite for now. But Steve and I discussed doing V&A's soon!

And speaking of WCC-have you heard all the rumors and nonsense about the stopping all the shenanigans :headache: Such bull!
I did see that! @ArielSRL is VERY angry about it! I don't think we will go again if it stays that way. That is def part of the fun. Maybe people will stop going and they will bring it back!

You should, and if not Citricos definitely give one a try. Yes the price is higher but in my opinion, the food is worth it. We've been taking the boys for quite a few years now and of course Kari has been taking Casey since geez, I think since she was a toddler? And our kids have never been the only kids in any signature.
Most of the signature menus don't always wow me. But I def think I want to try one or two next time.

we weren't impressed with 1900 dinner. The food was mediocre
The food was def meh for us as well. It is one that is good to do at least once.

Well I didn't expect much from Prince Charming lol, I never hear that he's impressive. But between that and the food it isn't something I need to repeat.
The Prince doesn't have much to work with. It's the same as some of the older princesses. They just don't have much of a personality.

Hey Jenny! I did get your text, I'm sorry I haven't answered yet I lost my phone for about a day and it's also been crazy here with some stuff :crazy: But yes, they had a wonderful time together! I'm very interested to see who they are when she comes up in July; that will be 2 weeks so, will they be as lovey-dovey the whole time? Fight at all? Get bored? I think it'll be more of a "test". At this point he isn't planning on going down before then but I'm also still thinking he'll come down in August
Don't you hate it when you lose your phone? That and keys are the worst things to lose...
You may make a Disney fan of Eric yet (or Victoria will):D
Yep, that will definitely be interesting to see them together for 2 weeks without the magic of WDW...But, who knows...maybe it's a looooooove connection...:rolleyes1:rolleyes1:rolleyes1

Your food looks great at Artist Pointe. I wanted to try it for my trip in November, but there aren't any reservations available, I'm wondering if it's closing for a refurbishment when I'm there. I think the mushroom soup would be my favorite because I love mushrooms. I only recently remembered my love of them, when I was younger someone told me they were fungus and I didn't touch them for a decade. I would definitely be ordering that filet mignon too.

I did see that! @ArielSRL is VERY angry about it! I don't think we will go again if it stays that way. That is def part of the fun. Maybe people will stop going and they will bring it back!
Now they are backpedaling! I have received a few emails and a phone call from Disney about it.
Your food looks great at Artist Pointe. I wanted to try it for my trip in November, but there aren't any reservations available, I'm wondering if it's closing for a refurbishment when I'm there.
There is a rumor they are adding a character breakfast at AP so I wonder if that's the issue with ressies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter