Have wheelchair accessible taxis become extinct now?

This is an unpopular opinion, and it actually got me booted from a Facebook fundraiser (LOL) but you don't have to convert a van. There are used vans that someone converted, and these usually aren't exactly high use vehicles. It isn't that hard to buy one that is a few years old. You need someone in the car biz who knows how to do some searches. I've helped buy two now, and buying the whole vehicle wasn't much more than just the modifications.
Second this. Most of the conversion places around me also sell used vehicles with a variety of conversions already done.

When my mom had to do errands this morning my mother asked her taxi driver if he knew of any wheelchair taxi services for my dad to use and what he told her was that they may have taxis that could take wheelchair bound people. Speaking of the question if Dad can get in and out of his wheelchair the answer is Dad can get out of his wheelchair with Mom's help but he does need help getting into the wheelchair and Mom helps put him in but if Mom and I can't find anything by Wednesday we will most likely get him the taxi
Dodger

Adding reply to this thread also.
There are wheelchair accessible options in most cities. They are not free, but are not any more expensive than the non-accessible options from the same company.

Lyft has wheelchair accessible vehicles (WAV) in some areas. This link to the Lyft website tells how to search and schedule if your area has them.
That link also explains that if your wheelchair can be folded, you can use a regular Lyft AND that if you need a WAV and they don’t have any in your area, they will help you to find one in your area.

Uber also has WAVs in some areas. This link to the Uber page about WAVs gives information on how to check if they are available in your area. They do point out that if the wheelchair can be folded, you can use a regular Uber.

Most Taxi companies also have some WAVs. They may not be listed in a prominent place on their website, so you may have to call. Again, if the wheelchair can be folded, you can use a regular taxi.

I don’t know how old your dad is, but most cities and counties have a Senior Center or department for Senior Services. They usually have some options for transportation to doctor visits for minimal charge, but they usually need to be scheduled well in advance. If they don’t have WAVs, they should be able to help you find one.

Other places to check if they can help you find resources:
- your county Social Services
- county or city Public Health
- the doctor‘s office
- Social Work or Patient Advocate at the Rehab Facility he was at

If he has insurance or a Medicare Supplement policy, many pay for transportation to medical visits, either regular transport or WAV.
They are not likely to pay more for transport via a medical service WAV unless his condition is unstable enough that he actually needs a medical service WAV. Those are much more expensive

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter