Haunted Mansion Holiday Opens August 23 with a Virtual Queue!

Not happy about this at all. I would like to ride more than once a day. We specifically go at Christmas time to ride this attraction. And what happens if we miss out out on the VQ? There is no option to even use an ILL? Ugh. Not cool.

The VQ may be gone by Christmas time. This is likely (hopefully) just to get them through the period where they are finishing up the new queue.

It's unfortunate, but it's far better for them to have HMH open this way than not open at all.

The VQ may be gone by Christmas time. This is likely (hopefully) just to get them through the period where they are finishing up the new queue.

It's unfortunate, but it's far better for them to have HMH open this way than not open at all.
Ageeed. It is possible as well that HM queue will be finished in August or September.
Disney wants guests for Halloween Time and you really cannot do that without HMH!

Last edited:
Not happy about this at all. I would like to ride more than once a day. We specifically go at Christmas time to ride this attraction. And what happens if we miss out out on the VQ? There is no option to even use an ILL? Ugh. Not cool.

I wonder if the reason for VQ-only is a lack of space to line up very many people with all the construction, so they'll use VQ to tightly control the crowd flow. I definitely agree it would be much better to be able to ride more than once a day, although once is better than none. Heck, even just having the HM outdoor music and lights going will make things much better. We were there a couple weeks ago and it just seemed wrong not having the HM up and going when we were in that area of the park.

Exciting news for everyone going! Thanks for sharing.

I have to wonder where the conspiracy theorists are who claimed it was going to open on July 9th as HMH with a virtual queue...
Two things:

1) That's not a "conspiracy theory" - it's an unfounded rumor. (Not sure what the conspiracy would be.) Some of those rumors are made-up by influencers, but they sometimes come from legit sources.

2) It is opening as HMH with a virtual queue - two-thirds of that rumor is true. (Honestly, this announcement all but confirms that they were never planning to reopen as regular HM - which some people "rumored" would happen.)

3) There's nothing here that rules out the possibility of it opening early. (The HMH page itself says "opening soon" not "opening August 23rd".)

I mean, I have no expectation of it opening on July 9th, but I might bet a small amount of money that it'll open earlier than August 23rd.

If they haven't finished the queue before your trip - it'll be on G+, which usually takes a few hours to fill up. This ride has a really high capacity, too. The morning drop might go quickly, but I'd be gently surprised if the 1pm took less than a few minutes. (Assuming they do it that way.)

Two things:

1) That's not a "conspiracy theory" - it's an unfounded rumor. (Not sure what the conspiracy would be.) Some of those rumors are made-up by influencers, but they sometimes come from legit sources.

2) It is opening as HMH with a virtual queue - two-thirds of that rumor is true. (Honestly, this announcement all but confirms that they were never planning to reopen as regular HM - which some people "rumored" would happen.)

3) There's nothing here that rules out the possibility of it opening early. (The HMH page itself says "opening soon" not "opening August 23rd".)

I mean, I have no expectation of it opening on July 9th, but I might bet a small amount of money that it'll open earlier than August 23rd.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, it is helpful context.

Last edited:
Ahh, the joys of the written word where "tone" cannot be perceived by the reader. Just to be clear, It was written as, and intended as, a joke. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - have a great day!
Just curious - what tone were you aiming for? It's hard to read that post as anything other than "those jokers got July 9 wrong".

Now I need to read up on how virtual queues work, as this will be my first experience. We will be arriving August 26th for six nights and I'm so excited to see the holiday overlay. I have never been to the parks for Halloween.

The official DL refurb calendar shows HM down through the end of July, but it could drop off earlier than 8/23. Good points by everyone bringing that up.

It will be interesting to see how the virtual queue works on this. Adding back a high capacity ride should really help reduce stress on other rides in the park. Maybe more Genie+ availability for other things.

I wonder when they'll take Pirates off Genie+. Maybe when Tiana's reopens? Maybe never?

Last edited:
I know a lot of people don't like Fresh Baked but on a report a while back he showed they were doing a lot of work at the very front of the building which makes sense now. They are making sure they have that very front bit done and dusted so people can enter via a virtual queue and get the ride open, while still finishing off the new line area to the left of the building. It also makes sense that they would release this announcement the day that Oogie Boogie Bash Tickets are released. A lot of people may have delayed their trips or decided upon not going this year if one of the major draw cards was unavailable. They can still keep working on everything with this partial opening and hopefully it will all be finished in time for the Holiday Season in Nov/Dec when the virtual queue should and probably will go away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter