Gulf State Park DIS Meet 2019 (Episode 4)

Jim I agree with Joe. Mobile is usually more expensive than Pensacola or Gulfport, Ms. I believe Pensacola is a close drive than Mobile. I've flown out of Gulfport more than Mobile or Pensacola. I would just be checking prices.

Thanks Joe and Michael,

I did some hunting for fares over the weekend. StL isn't a "hub" for anyone except Southwest now, so non-stops to anything except a real hub are rare. It looks like Pensacola and Mobile are at least $200.. We have a commercial airport that was built 10+ years ago in Illinois that was to ease the load off StL when it was a busy hub, but then the airline industry collapsed. It is often brought up as a government waste examples and is referred to as the airport to nowhere. It is actually adjoining Scott AFB's runways and shares the control tower with Scott. As a reference point, Scott is home to the Military Airlift Command, Air Mobility Command and U. S. Transportation Command. LINK Basically if the military moves it by air, it is coordinated through Scott.

So back to the airport to nowhere (MidAmerica). Little regional airlines pop in and out and it is common to have no airline using the place. Allegiant is the most recent attempt to rescue it. They have a flight to Destin for $133. Compared to $200+. They may charge extra for an actual seat and air is likely an add on, but for someone in the reserves working at Sams and going to school $70 is a big deal. Destin looks to be about 2 hours, so not much farther than Mobile. I've picked people up at Destin. It is small and easy.

j

Okay so this is completely off subject but too cool to share. Especially for my engineer friends in the group. As some may know I work in a large Walmart international distribution center. It is huge with 2.6 million square feet and 300,000 pallets slots of storage. We use hydrogen powered fork lifts and pallet movers to handle freight. My latest job assignment is a fork lift driver. I moved up from hand unloading containers all day. Recently they announced we will be a test center for AMRs or autonomous mobile robots. They will be used as pallet haulers for long distance moves. We are getting 8 of them and they need people to program their work load each morning and watch over them and intervene if they have issues during the shift. I interviewed last week and today was told I was one of 2 picked for my shift and one of 6 for the whole building of over 600 employees. I'm very lucky to be selected and this could help my quest to get into a salaried management position if things go well. I'm excited and nervous to start training in about 2 weeks.

I'm very lucky to be selected and this could help my quest to get into a salaried management position if things go well. I'm excited and nervous to start training in about 2 weeks.

You are bound for greater things, Joe. :thumbsup2

ED

Okay so this is completely off subject but too cool to share. Especially for my engineer friends in the group. As some may know I work in a large Walmart international distribution center. It is huge with 2.6 million square feet and 300,000 pallets slots of storage. We use hydrogen powered fork lifts and pallet movers to handle freight. My latest job assignment is a fork lift driver. I moved up from hand unloading containers all day. Recently they announced we will be a test center for AMRs or autonomous mobile robots. They will be used as pallet haulers for long distance moves. We are getting 8 of them and they need people to program their work load each morning and watch over them and intervene if they have issues during the shift. I interviewed last week and today was told I was one of 2 picked for my shift and one of 6 for the whole building of over 600 employees. I'm very lucky to be selected and this could help my quest to get into a salaried management position if things go well. I'm excited and nervous to start training in about 2 weeks.

From one warehouse worker to another, Great Job !!!!

Cool opportunity, Joe. Good luck.

We opened a new tower on campus and implemented an AGV (autonomous guided vehicle) system to move supplies, linen and OR case carts around. Oppent They even designed AGV specific elevators into the building that are tied into the system that just move carts between floors.

One of the people I worked with for years on linen and scrub management was picked to lead the AGV project. It turned into a really neat job. Good luck on turning this into something bigger.

j

Last edited:
Way to go Joe! (from another Joe). This seems like an awesome opportunity, and how cool to be in from the get go. :thumbsup2. Keep us posted.
Very curious how the whole thing works. (not an engineer per se, but very much a tinkerer and learner :scratchin

Thanks Everyone. I will keep you posted on the progress. Unfortunately due to company policy we are not allowed to have phones on the work floor so I can't risk taking pictures. Maybe Walmart will release something to the media about it when we get it up and running.

Last edited:
Looks good to me

He was originally denied the ability to fuel, the owner spoke with the manager, explained that the truck is personal and not for business use and was allowed to fuel up. He explained to the manager that he understood about the chain being a family friendly place, and that he and his family are just passing thru.

As the college spring break season is about to start in 2019, Orange Beach and Gulf Shores are prepared to protect their "family friendly" reputation.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/article226678749.html

Things will have calmed down by the time we get there.

Bama Ed

Orange Beach Mayor Tony Kennon doubles down: OB will be family friendly!

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news...sing-orange-beach-will-remain-family-friendly

I support this approach from OB and GS.

Bama Ed

We get gas at Buc-ees in Bastrop. Cleaniest pumps, bathrooms. The food they sell bakery, BBQ sandwiches etc.wonderful! Y’all will love all the other items. Enjoy your adventure in Buc-eyes. Excited about our adventures @ GS in May.

You can use any lane with any of our RV vehicles to get your gas,diesel. Also can fill up that liquid you need for driving a diesel truck. Not sure what it is called.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter