Guardians Breakdown Mid Ride

KandyM

DIS Veteran
Has anyone else here experienced a breakdown on Guardians? Happened to us on our trip two weeks ago and we have been chatting since about how weird that experience was. Something was 'off' from the very start where we had just a couple seconds extra delay before the backwards launch. About halfway-ish through things stopped working, music off, screens off, lights seemed brighter like could see all tracks. Came to a full stop just after starting a lift so rolled backwards to a full stop. Total silence. Then after 5-6 seconds we are launched forward at what felt like a very fast clip, no music no screens the rest of the way just a very fast fly through it all. Pretty unnerving. We were given ILL at exit.
What really strikes us thinking about it now is the total silence. Like what?! No update on the overhead for us? I mean, your car in Haunted Mansion stops and you get like 4 updates about temporary stop and your vehicle is about to move. But on this coaster, no communication? Also, it felt like such a fast return, swung by that moon so so quick. So we are wondering did it just feel fast to us because of no screens and music or is the auto-return thing actually faster?

Curious others experiences.
Still love the ride.
Enjoyed our final ride later that night with a perfect one (got September, lol).

Rode GOTG 3 times last week and did not experience this. I would be unnerved also.

Has anyone else here experienced a breakdown on Guardians? Happened to us on our trip two weeks ago and we have been chatting since about how weird that experience was. Something was 'off' from the very start where we had just a couple seconds extra delay before the backwards launch. About halfway-ish through things stopped working, music off, screens off, lights seemed brighter like could see all tracks. Came to a full stop just after starting a lift so rolled backwards to a full stop. Total silence. Then after 5-6 seconds we are launched forward at what felt like a very fast clip, no music no screens the rest of the way just a very fast fly through it all. Pretty unnerving. We were given ILL at exit.
What really strikes us thinking about it now is the total silence. Like what?! No update on the overhead for us? I mean, your car in Haunted Mansion stops and you get like 4 updates about temporary stop and your vehicle is about to move. But on this coaster, no communication? Also, it felt like such a fast return, swung by that moon so so quick. So we are wondering did it just feel fast to us because of no screens and music or is the auto-return thing actually faster?

Still love the ride.
Enjoyed our final ride later that night with a perfect one (got September, lol).
Happened to me once, same thing when it restarted - no music etc. However we were able to walk straight back to the loading area via the “chicken exit” and ride again.

I’m guessing Haunted Manison has the prerecorded announcements because stopping is normal operation for them (whenever someone needs extra time to load). But most rides a stoppage is unplanned and you may move again quickly or be stuck for a bit. I don’t think most rides I’ve been stopped on made an announcement unless we needed to be evacuated (a few exceptions like HM).

The very first time we rode GOTG it was broken. We had no idea, because we'd never ridden it. This was September of 2022. Anyway, the entire first part with the huge screen and right before you go backwards was just black and a lot of nothing. It made it worse because we had some moron in front of us who was videoing everything and shining their lights in our face. Anyway, finally the cinematics started but after we'd already been through half the ride. We got done and were thinking, well that ride isn't all that great.

So the next day we got on again and it was working and we were like "Oh, so that's what didn't happen and that ride was fun!"

I do wish Disney would do a better job policing the social media video people on rides. It's a huge distraction to other riders.

110% agree. Especially when they have their screen brightness turned all the way up on a dark ride, and/or are using flash and a light.

They were absolutely using a light and screen brightness on high. Anywhere else I'd have told the cast members after the ride about it, but it felt very un-Disney like to do that.

They were absolutely using a light and screen brightness on high. Anywhere else I'd have told the cast members after the ride about it, but it felt very un-Disney like to do that.
That's the problem. They never get called on that type of behavior so they just keep doing it and annoying lots of people. I was on Living with the Land once and the couple in front of me was filming with a light and brightness on. As we were pulling back in, the CM kept saying "no bright videos" or something to that effect. He kept repeating it because the couple didn't stop. I then leaned forward and said "he's talking to you, you know" (not in a rude voice, just matter of fact).

Still love the ride.
This happened exactly to us in September! And we finally got Conga for the song and halfway through we came to a dead stop with everything off. We sat for a good 5 minutes before continuing on with no music, effects, etc. The CM wasn’t going to let us have a reride until we all started complaining loudly. A supervisor finally came over and let us back in the queue where they pull the wheelchairs/ECVs out of line. Very glad we got to reride or that was a giant waste of an ILL!

The very first time we rode GOTG it was broken. We had no idea, because we'd never ridden it. This was September of 2022. Anyway, the entire first part with the huge screen and right before you go backwards was just black and a lot of nothing. It made it worse because we had some moron in front of us who was videoing everything and shining their lights in our face. Anyway, finally the cinematics started but after we'd already been through half the ride. We got done and were thinking, well that ride isn't all that great.

So the next day we got on again and it was working and we were like "Oh, so that's what didn't happen and that ride was fun!"

I do wish Disney would do a better job policing the social media video people on rides. It's a huge distraction to other riders.
I forget what ride we were on, but but the CM that launched the ride made the person behind us put their camera away. She actually said We are not launching until the camera is put away. This was last week.

GoG stopped once while I was on, right before the second uphill launch. Music and most of the lights went off. No announcements, we just sat in silence. My group was nervous that another car might hit us from behind. After maybe a few minutes, we launched very fast up the hill and continued the rest of the ride with no music. We were offered another ride immediately after we got off through the back entrance and we accepted. The second ride was great and we experienced no issues. I was happy we were able to ride twice.

I forget what ride we were on, but but the CM that launched the ride made the person behind us put their camera away. She actually said We are not launching until the camera is put away. This was last week.
They should do that more often! So annoying with people and their phones!

Something was 'off' from the very start where we had just a couple seconds extra delay before the backwards launch.
Haven't had it stop mid-ride yet, but probably 4 of the last 5 times we've ridden it's had a delay for the backwards launch, one was a few minutes. That alone was more of a thrill going from sitting there in silence in the dark to suddenly being shot off with no warning!

GoG stopped once while I was on, right before the second uphill launch. Music and most of the lights went off. No announcements, we just sat in silence. My group was nervous that another car might hit us from behind. After maybe a few minutes, we launched very fast up the hill and continued the rest of the ride with no music. We were offered another ride immediately after we got off through the back entrance and we accepted. The second ride was great and we experienced no issues. I was happy we were able to ride twice.
The chances of being hit by another car on modern coasters is slim :) The system tracks where all of them are. The track is divided into blocks and sensors prevent two cars from occupying the same block. If the car in front of you hasn’t cleared the next block, your car will stop in its current block.

You were definitely not any faster than normal. Just would seem that way due to the situation.

So far, I haven't had a mid ride breakdown while on GotG. There have been a couple of times where the blackout in preparation of the reverse launch lasted maybe 30 seconds to 1 minute. But it is good to hear that if you have a mid ride breakdown, they can get the ride vehicle going again.

Twice I've been on RnR when it had a mid ride breakdown, and both times I had to wait 10+ minutes before CMs arrived and evacuated us from the ride vehicles. How about some backstage passes! :rotfl2: One time when it was in the middle of the ride, they gave us an anytime LL valid at many rides but not RotR or SDD. The other time, we were maybe 100 feet from where it normally would stop; because it was at the end of the day and we effectively finished the ride, we didn't get anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter