Good time to arrive for security check

Yesterday we got to the parks at 10am and it took 40 minutes to get through security. My sister came through at 11:30 and breezed right in. Four minutes topped. When we returned about 2:30 it was a twenty minute wait.

We were there at 8:30 with a park opening at 9. It was easily going to be a half hour to get through but I noticed they were getting ready to open up antoher security check on the far right side so DH and I rushed over there just as it opened and were through in 5 min. Wee normally never show up that early and usually leave our hotel once the park has been open for 15 - 20 min and have no trouble getting through. It was bad communication on our part as we thought the park opened at 8 not 9.

If the parks open at 9am, be at security at 8:30 at least to try to make rope drop. Don't forget everyone else is trying to do the same thing.

Two weeks ago when we were there, DCA opened at 10am while DL opened at 9am. First, let me say that this was a really stupid thing to do by Disney. We were going to DCA, so we got there at 9:25. We were in security for 45 minutes, and then another 10 minutes for the gate lines. Almost an HOUR to get into the parks.

We usually get there an hour prior to park opening and get through security in under 10 minutes, then go get a coffee, then in line before rope drop.
If you don’t want to be there before opening, wait 30 or so minutes after park opening. We have done both and had minimal waits.

We usually get there an hour prior to park opening and get through security in under 10 minutes, then go get a coffee, then in line before rope drop.
If you don’t want to be there before opening, wait 30 or so minutes after park opening. We have done both and had minimal waits.

wow...had to think about that one. With the security pushed back on the DTD side it does open up a whole world to those entering from Harbor. Go through security and all of DTD is yours. Wow. Hadn’t thought about that.

I'm so glad you asked this question!

I wouldn't have even thought about waits like that at security. At Disney World it's never taken us longer than 15 minutes. Usually it's about 2 minutes when we go through. Often we slide in with no wait at all, especially when using the secret entrance at Animal Kingdom. I wouldn't have imagined 45 minute waits for security.

I'll be there an hour early, and enjoy some coffee! Thanks for the tip.

We were there two weeks ago on a Monday (9 am open DL, 10 am DCA), breezed through security at about 7.45 am with no wait and had a fantastic bacon and egg roll at Earl of Sandwich in DTD before joining the DL gate line around 8.20 am for rope drop. Glad we were early as people arriving around 9.00 am faced an almost hour wait to get through security. Travel light and travel early if you can seems to be the key!

Edit: we walked from the Holiday Inn and only passed through the DTD security point.

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't answer your other question, security has to open prior to the first restaurant/shop in DTD to let customers in. 7.00 am seemed to be the breakfast spots opening times - we just checked the website for opening hours to get an idea. HTH.

This does all help. We will be there during on thanksgiving break and it is my son’s 12th birthday. It is something he wanted and I know it will be busy (understatement) we like to be early for rope drop.

I like to arrive at the Mickey and Friends parking structure an hour to 45 minutes before the park is scheduled to open. This will allow me time to get through security and be at the rope drop. Also if the security line is too congested I walk towards Downtown Disney and go through that security check which is never as crowded as the one near Mickey and Friends parking structure.

I like to arrive at the Mickey and Friends parking structure an hour to 45 minutes before the park is scheduled to open. This will allow me time to get through security and be at the rope drop. Also if the security line is too congested I walk towards Downtown Disney and go through that security check which is never as crowded as the one near Mickey and Friends parking structure.
I second walking if parking at Mickey and Friends. There is rarely a backup at the security tents that are in the old Downtown Disney valet circle.

Where is the security checkpoint if you are coming from PPH? we're leaving in 2 weeks. Planning to use EMH every day. Do you go through security before you enter DTD and then again at the park you're going to? And what time should I plan to leave my hotel to do "rope drop" for EMH?

Do you go through security before you enter DTD and then again at the park you're going to? And what time should I plan to leave my hotel to do "rope drop" for EMH?

We entered through DTD security point (walked from the Holiday Inn in Walnut St so it's the closest entry point) and only had to clear security once (bag search etc). Tickets scanned and photos at the park gates itself on first entry and then just ticket scan on park hopping after that.

I'm so glad you asked this question!

I wouldn't have even thought about waits like that at security. At Disney World it's never taken us longer than 15 minutes. Usually it's about 2 minutes when we go through. Often we slide in with no wait at all, especially when using the secret entrance at Animal Kingdom. I wouldn't have imagined 45 minute waits for security.

I'll be there an hour early, and enjoy some coffee! Thanks for the tip.
:offtopic: FYI if you go to AK now that Avatar is open it's changed. Longest security line of our trip (20 mins so still not like DLR!) & those tables off to the side on the left of the main ones weren't moving any faster...

Where is the security checkpoint if you are coming from PPH? we're leaving in 2 weeks. Planning to use EMH every day. Do you go through security before you enter DTD and then again at the park you're going to? And what time should I plan to leave my hotel to do "rope drop" for EMH?
I'd go the leave an hour early & grab coffee after clearing security. You'll clear security only once and it will be in front of DLH's DtD entrance. After that I like to order Starbucks at the mini-store you'll see on the right under the monorail track & sip it on my way thru DtD.

I'd go the leave an hour early & grab coffee after clearing security. You'll clear security only once and it will be in front of DLH's DtD entrance. After that I like to order Starbucks at the mini-store you'll see on the right under the monorail track & sip it on my way thru DtD.
That gets you through for both DCH and DLR?

That gets you through for both DCH and DLR?
Yes- I think, idk what DCH is... The way it is set up is that Disney California Adventure (DCA) and Disneyland Park (DL) front gates are accessed via Downtown Disney (DtD). In order to enter DtD you have to go through security. Once you pass DtD security you are free to go to DtD, DCA and DL without having to go through security again! The front gates for both parks are directly across from each other and take about 1 min to walk between at a leisurely pace!
ETA: maybe you meant Disney Grand CA Hotel? That's GCH, guests of GCH go through security as they exit their hotel into DtD (and also through security if they chose to exit directly into DCA). This isn't really for you since you'll be staying at PPH and can't use the GCH entrance into the parks.

This morning there was a "no bag" security line on the Harbor side. People were zipping right through, but still had to go through the metal detector.

Not to thread jack but question- if you have a stroller with like stuff in the bottom- jackets type stuff not like real items- is that considered no bag?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!