Gilmore Girls ...

At 32 years old, it's 100% on Rory if she puts up with the Logan arrangement when she wants more. She can use her words and have that discussion or she can choose to leave. It's not reasonable to expect him to read her mind and take action. She turned him down when he offered marriage.

Rory did help her mom at the Independence Inn, it was mentioned in season 1. She also had the job at the bookstore in Stars Hollow one summer, and she had the card swiping job at Yale. Those were all basically handed to her too...but she did have a part time job for most of the seasons I can think of. Also, to be fair, I dont think a lot of cooking was done in the Gilmore house...thats what Luke's was for!

You're right. They made mention of her working at the Independence Inn but never actually showed her doing any work.
For some reason the SH bookstore job I recall as being a temp thing for a week or so. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Ok there was that short lived meal card swiper thing.

For what it's worth....I was completely disappointed in Winter, Spring and Summer. I loved Fall and thought it could stand on its own so I tested that theory. I had the final two episodes of series 7 on my DVR. I watched those and then watched Fall only. It left me feeling much better about things. It think it may be the dialogue flow and music, if that makes any sense.

Ok I finally finished all 4 episodes (2 last weekend, 2 this weekend).

I did like the ending and the wedding was perfect. My thought was that after 2 canceled weddings and one elopement that it was too bad that Lorelai's mother couldn't actually be at her wedding ceremony. And they said it was 10 hours to the wedding so did they stay up all night as Rorie and her mother were sitting at the gazebo in the same clothes the next morning. And when they drove by Patty's late at night was were there kids dancing if it was like midnight. And they got Michele and Lane but not Sookie?
Oh and anyone else ever wonder if Lane and hubby ever got past "the first time"?

My daughter and I found Gilmore Girls over the Summer. Love it! We just finished the new 4 episodes. What an ending! Daughter is Team Jess, I was Team Logan until he wouldn't wait for Rory to get married. Happy for Lorelei & Luke finally. I also think there will be a sequel, how can they leave us with that ending and not continue.

I just finished watching Fall last night and I have some questions. I think I must have fallen asleep and missed something, maybe in one of the other three episodes, but did something happen with Rory and Jess? In this last episode he just seemed to be hanging out and not really having much to do with Rory. I saw him with Luke and in Lorelei's house, but that was it. I must've missed it…I'll have to go back and re-watch but if anyone can fill me in, that would be great.

Also, in the scene where Logan and Rory are sitting in the Tango Bar and he gives her the key yo the house in Maine, Rory asked Logan if he was really going to marry Odette. What the heck was his reply?? I rewound that three times and turned the volume WAY up, and I STILL couldn't make it out. I was REALLY hoping Logan and Rory would get back together for real and it bothered me that he was cheating on his fiance and Rory was okay with that. It doesn't say a lot for either of their morals. I feel like they needed to write it so we could at least sympathize with them and why they were doing it, but ASP didn't do that, at least not for me. Still, I hope the baby is his and that somewhere down the road they figure this out (and fill us in too!).

I have to say, I was slightly disappointed in the whole thing overall. I think they wasted a LOT of time on stupid things like the musical and Lorelei in the Wild, etc. I just really wanted to see more of the characters together. I wish Sookie had been in it more and I wish, as someone said earlier, that Emily had attended Luke and Lorelei's wedding. I also kind of hated that they snuck off and got married in the middle of the night. It would have been nice to have the whole town there celebrating them after having to suffer their angst all these years!

I just finished watching Fall last night and I have some questions. I think I must have fallen asleep and missed something, maybe in one of the other three episodes, but did something happen with Rory and Jess? In this last episode he just seemed to be hanging out and not really having much to do with Rory. I saw him with Luke and in Lorelei's house, but that was it. I must've missed it…I'll have to go back and re-watch but if anyone can fill me in, that would be great.

Also, in the scene where Logan and Rory are sitting in the Tango Bar and he gives her the key yo the house in Maine, Rory asked Logan if he was really going to marry Odette. What the heck was his reply?? I rewound that three times and turned the volume WAY up, and I STILL couldn't make it out. I was REALLY hoping Logan and Rory would get back together for real and it bothered me that he was cheating on his fiance and Rory was okay with that. It doesn't say a lot for either of their morals. I feel like they needed to write it so we could at least sympathize with them and why they were doing it, but ASP didn't do that, at least not for me. Still, I hope the baby is his and that somewhere down the road they figure this out (and fill us in too!).

I have to say, I was slightly disappointed in the whole thing overall. I think they wasted a LOT of time on stupid things like the musical and Lorelei in the Wild, etc. I just really wanted to see more of the characters together. I wish Sookie had been in it more and I wish, as someone said earlier, that Emily had attended Luke and Lorelei's wedding. I also kind of hated that they snuck off and got married in the middle of the night. It would have been nice to have the whole town there celebrating them after having to suffer their angst all these years!

Wasn't it something like "Daddy says?"

I just finished all 4. I was a big fan of the original, saw every episode, we had a thread here on the Dis, but I gotta say - these were just meh for me.

It might just be me but I really expected more from ASP and all the hype leading up to it.

I loved it when I was in college, and I just rematched the entire series from season 1 to the new season on netflix with my daughter. We spent most of our winter break binge watching it, it was just so good! I'm a single mom and she's my only child, so for us, it definitely connected. She called me "her Lorelei" lol! :love:

It seems to me that Rory was more mature, and definitely more focused, at 16 than she was at 32. She graduated from Yale near the top of her class, never found a real job, and basically did nothing for ten years. She almost seemed insulted when Headmaster Charleston suggested she get her Master's and come back to Chilton to teach, like that was so far beneath her. She was obviously disdainful of the other 30 somethings, apparently thinking she was somehow better than them. I actually thought the last four episodes were sad.

It seems to me that Rory was more mature, and definitely more focused, at 16 than she was at 32. She graduated from Yale near the top of her class, never found a real job, and basically did nothing for ten years. She almost seemed insulted when Headmaster Charleston suggested she get her Master's and come back to Chilton to teach, like that was so far beneath her. She was obviously disdainful of the other 30 somethings, apparently thinking she was somehow better than them. I actually thought the last four episodes were sad.

I thought that too. I thought her attitude toward the 30 somethings was pretty ridiculous. I mean, I can see not wanting to be in that situation but........when you are in the exact same situation it is pretty crappy to turn your nose up at your peers that way.

And the money that was spent on Rory's education! OMG I looked up the cost of attending an academically rigorous secondary school in West Hartford and it's nearly $40,000 a year. So $160,000 on high school and another $260,000 for Yale-almost half a million dollars and the girl can't find a job! (I realize this was 10 years ago and not today, but still. . .)

Resurrecting this thread because Up is having a Thanksgiving week marathon - showing every episode of the original show.

Season 2, Episode 13 just finished. I'd forgotten what a jerk Jess was at the beginning.

Anyone else watching?

I watched it all several times. Then the new Netflix hit...and I re-evaluated the show through a different lens. I'm not sure I will watch it again. It normalized and at points glorifies a lot of unhealthy and selfish behavior. I thought it was about character development, and growing as people- but those Netflix specials were written by the original writers, and the characters had not budged. If anything, they had regressed. The mean-spiritedness disappoints me also. If I ever were to rewatch, it would probably just be the early seasons. The writing definitely suffers the longer it goes.

I will say I truly wish there were more shows of this caliber doing this type of thing. Exploring multiple generations of women and the relationships between women. Especially if the revolved even less around men, etc. I love the witty banter, the literary references, and the unusual discussions. I like the sense of community- the spectrum of characters, showing humanity in an intimate way. But the show pretty much drained of magic in my mind when I watched those new Netflix specials. I have been giving them the benefit of the doubt, only to find out they did not really deserve it. Regardless, I am thankful it exists.

Resurrecting this thread because Up is having a Thanksgiving week marathon - showing every episode of the original show.

Season 2, Episode 13 just finished. I'd forgotten what a jerk Jess was at the beginning.

Anyone else watching?
Yes, I've been watching some of the episodes. I watched when they were having the marathon last year too! My husband and I loved the show. We saw the boxed set at Costco last Christmas and bought it because we didn't have time to watch every episode on UP. Well, the set still hasn't been opened :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter