Garden Grocer vs Disney food ordering

skier_pete

DIsney-holics Anon
So - I am confused. People always talk about using Garden Grocer or some other order method for food, but we just surveyed GG versus getting through DVC / Disney.

GG charges $14 fee versus DVC charging $10.
ALL the prices we looked at were higher on GG than on the Disney order form, and that didn't include the DVC 10% discount.

We are only in a studio so ordering some essentially like Milk, Juice, Eggs, Butter, Bread for breakfast, and mostly bring snacks with us.

Am I missing something? Is there really good reason to choose GG vs Disney? Selection maybe?

For what you're getting I'd just run down to the resort store too. We use GG for a large amount of stuff for 4 to 6 people. With food prices rising we're cooking dinner a min of two nights in the room, I make breakfast every day and we're ordering beer and wine. We used to rent a car and go get it ourselves but since we stopped getting the car I find GG to be a reliable convenience for us.

For what you're getting I'd just run down to the resort store too. We use GG for a large amount of stuff for 4 to 6 people. With food prices rising we're cooking dinner a min of two nights in the room, I make breakfast every day and we're ordering beer and wine. We used to rent a car and go get it ourselves but since we stopped getting the car I find GG to be a reliable convenience for us.

Ditto. When we go, there's only 3 of us in the studio and we just do breakfast and some snacks in the room. If we want dinner at the resort, we just go to the quick service or restaurant nearby and if we are really tired, we will get the large microwaveable pizza at the resort store and cut it to fit into the microwave.

For us it is pricing and availability. We get cases of water through GG that are much less expensive than through Disney. Then once we are paying for the delivery, we go ahead and get some food items too. Anything we forget we just run down and grab from the store at the resort. We are very happy with GG. but if Disney has the items you want at a better price, I don't see any reason not to go for it.

We only used GG once but I thought the prices were outrageous. The only reason we used it was because we were bringing my mom and her husband and they have some very specific brand loyalties that we couldn't get through DVC.

We are staying at Loew's Royal Pacific, to go to Universal for a few days, then switching over to two Studios at Poly for 4 more days. Believe it or not, the Royal Pacific doesn't have a microwave anywhere for guest use, and especially not in our room, though we are staying in the 'Family Suite" which holds up to 8 or 9. So, we want to save some money on breakfast and snacks, but without a microwave, we will probably have to order lightly and then get more once we get to Poly. I have looked at GG, PrimeNow.Amazon.com and also at Amazon Prime Pantry. I think we might use Prime Pantry for a few days of snacks and things at the Royal Pacific and then have a second, larger order delivered to Poly when we arrive.

I think Garden Grocer is old school at this point. Disruptors like Instacart, PrimeNow and Walmart have shaken up grocery delivery often at the same price as in store. If you're a Prime member, I would definitely check out PrimeNow. Free delivery within 2 hours.

We have used both but it has been a few years since we used Garden Grocer. If we are staying in a studio and not cooking much or at all, we'll just order through the DVC website or go down to the store and pick up some things. We have noticed some items were sold out in the stores (water and eggs) when we wanted them, and since we often arrive after the store is already closed, we usually order in advance. It's nice to have your groceries waiting in the fridge/kitchen when you arrive. They also apply the DVC discount, whereas I usually forget to use it when I go to the store. If we are staying in 1 BR or larger and have the full size refrigerator, we usually are planning to cook some or most of our meals. I prefer renting a car for a day and going to Publix rather than using GG. I like choosing my own items even if it cuts into our park time. We don't do commando park touring anymore so it's not a big deal.

I think Garden Grocer is old school at this point. Disruptors like Instacart, PrimeNow and Walmart have shaken up grocery delivery often at the same price as in store. If you're a Prime member, I would definitely check out PrimeNow. Free delivery within 2 hours.
To clarify how Prime Now works:

Delivery is free if your order total is $35 or higher. If it's less than $35 there's a $5 delivery charge.

1. You place your order on the day you want it delivered or the day before.
2. At the time you place the order, it will show you the remaining 2-hour delivery windows that are still available on your selected delivery day. (Since they only have so many drivers, slots can fill up on a busy day.)
3. You select the desired 2-hour window. Your order will be delivered any time within that 2-hour period.
4. If you want a 1-hour delivery window instead of a two-hour window, it costs an additional $5.

I just wanted to clarify the process because "free delivery within 2 hours" isn't quite as straightforward as it seems at first glance. I use Prime Now and I'll continue to use them, but it's better to be aware of just how it works.

Last edited:
I used Instacart this year and it was great. No material difference to using Garden Grocer aside from it was 50% cheaper. Garden Grocer load the prices of the their goods so much over Publix price, I’ve stopped using them now. I got 10% off also using this code PAULH2C219A

Doesn't Disney now charge though to receive packages such as these?

In my experience, any charge for packages has been fairly common but inconsistent. Even at the same resort.

Used Garden Grocer.....too expensive
Used Amazon Prime Now.....good, but limited goods
Going to try Walmart on our next trip

We have used Garden Grocer twice and been very happy with their service. But the cost keeps going up.
The last 2 years, we have rented a vehicle and stopped at the Target on the way to WDW and purchased what we wanted.
Not quite as convenient as having the items sent to your room, but close. And much cheaper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter