Garden Grill or Akershus

nikmasteed

Mouseketeer
Looking for opinions, since we haven't been to WDW in 14 years!! Can't decide on either GG or ARBH for our Epcot day character breakfast. I believe I went to GG maybe 20 years ago, dont think I've ever done Akershus.

The group will be me, DW, DD9, DD6 and my mom will be joining us that day also.

We'll also be doing plenty of other character meals during our 10-day trip, including CRT and Chef Mickey, so we'll have plenty of other times to see princesses and Mickey.

Am leaning towards GG because at least Chip & Dale would be unique to this venue. How about comparisons of the food? We'll be paying OOP, not on the DDP

Thanks in advance for others' experiences!

How do you feel about the menus? Some of my family can be a bit picky, so we limit Askerhaus to breakfast. We liked GG and went fairly often. We were disappointed last trip. Meat was good, but vegetables were almost raw. Service was pretty bad, but you know how that is, it all depends on the night/server.

I did both in November. I liked seeing Chip 'n' Dale at the GG but I wasn't a fan of the dessert. I was jealous of my BFs special allergy dessert which was just a couple small cookies lol. Akershus had great desserts. Service was better at Akershus. I dropped a fork at GG and had to wait 5 minutes for replacement. I also requested salt and that took even longer.

Edited to add: 2 adults attending various character meals on that trip. Going back to Akershus in August but skipping Garden Grill.

I did both in November. I liked seeing Chip 'n' Dale at the GG but I wasn't a fan of the dessert. I was jealous of my BFs special allergy dessert which was just a couple small cookies lol. Akershus had great desserts. Service was better at Akershus. I dropped a fork at GG and had to wait 5 minutes for replacement. I also requested salt and that took even longer.

Edited to add: 2 adults attending various character meals on that trip. Going back to Akershus in August but skipping Garden Grill.

I don't like cobbler sort of things either, and so when we ate at GG, I just told the server we didn't like the desert option and was there anything else. He gladly brought us the "kids" desert, which (at that time) were little cupcakes that looked like ice cream cones - they were really good.

Garden Grill hands down if you already have other opportunities to see princesses. Chip and Dale were so interactive and hilarious! Plus the time spent with the characters can't be beat, I think they came around 3 times when we were there in December. Plus it's hard to beat the location next to Soarin'.

Are they going to be PPO breakfasts that you are trying to get ahead of the crowds for a certain ride? We love GG for the character interaction and there’s always been something that everyone enjoys. This upcoming trip we are doing a late breakfast there and I’m excited for the menu.

Chip and Dale are quite funny at GG, but the food is really mediocre, IMHO. My choice between the two would be Akershus.

Our meal at Garden Grill was one of the better last September. As always , your mileage may vary.

I don't like cobbler sort of things either, and so when we ate at GG, I just told the server we didn't like the desert option and was there anything else. He gladly brought us the "kids" desert, which (at that time) were little cupcakes that looked like ice cream cones - they were really good.

Well that is good to know for any future trips. Now if only they add Donald Duck...

Thanks. :)

Now hopefully this is an option at the Hoop Dee Doo and Spirit of Aloha that I have booked for this upcoming trip...fruit in dessert is just plain wrong!! LOL

We’ve been doing Akershus breakfast for a while and it’s always good. We happen to like all the Norwegian stuff though so besides the normal American breakfast platter my kids load up on the buffet items. Smoked fish, meats, cheeses, and fresh fruit are all enjoyed.

I absolutely LOOVED the food at GG for breakfast!! :goodvibes Its so delicious, from start to finish! The characters were amazing...so adorable. I highly recommend it. Its one of my fave character meals now.

Someone above mentioned cookies for dessert....we're talking about breakfast right? I dont think they serve dessert at breakfast. We didnt get any. I honestly dont think i'd want it anyway. Besides, they did serve these yummy cinnamon buns. :cloud9:

I can't speak to anything but breakfast at both places. I would definitely choose Garden Grill for the food (and Chip and Dale). I was at Akershus in December and couldn't believe how disappointing the basics were - cold eggs, yuck! Food at GG has always been good, and Chip's Sticky Bun Bake is ab fab!

Someone above mentioned cookies for dessert....we're talking about breakfast right? I dont think they serve dessert at breakfast. We didnt get any. I honestly dont think i'd want it anyway. Besides, they did serve these yummy cinnamon buns. :cloud9:

My bad...I glazed over the breakfast part. What happens when I wake up at 1am in the morning to book dining reservations and come on here.

I have eaten at both. I am a picky eater due to really unique food sensitivities and allergies so eating can be interesting.

Akershus was ok, but I found it difficult to find food that my stomach could tolerate.

Garden Grill is one we have enjoyed both times we ate there. A little sad they took the ham off the platter but the Cinnamon Bun and the melted hazelnut for the waffles are definitely my favourite parts. My best friend's favourite part at GG was the tater tots.

The characters are fun too. I like to get pictures of them in unique costumes so farmer Mickey was cool.

Thanks everyone!

I booked this morning, and chose Garden Grill. The fact that we are seeing the princesses at CRT already was a big factor. Chip and Dale, plus the sticky bun, plus being near Soarin also helped! Our reservation is for 8:40 on a 9am park opening day, so not a huge advantage, but I'll probably try to move it up if I get the chance.

Love to hear all the opinions, thanks all

Thanks everyone!

I booked this morning, and chose Garden Grill. The fact that we are seeing the princesses at CRT already was a big factor. Chip and Dale, plus the sticky bun, plus being near Soarin also helped! Our reservation is for 8:40 on a 9am park opening day, so not a huge advantage, but I'll probably try to move it up if I get the chance.

Love to hear all the opinions, thanks all
yay! great choice! you'll love it! :)

We loved Garden Grill. We had an 8:05 so we were finished by 8:45 and went on Soarin' twice. Akershus was good also, DD loved the princesses there and we were able to leave breakfast at 8:50 to walk right onto Frozen.

We have only done dinner at Garden Grill and love it, but the breakfast there looks awesome and something we plan to do in the future. Haven't read a negative review on breakfast there yet. Breakfast at Akershus is one of our favorites. We love the cold buffet options and the hot foods that are brought to the table, especially the potato casserole. The princess interaction has always been great there, and we never felt rushed (like we have at CRT). We always do a PPO ADR, and have been able to hop right in line and walk on FEA right after breakfast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter