Future AP purchase strategy

HHMcG

DIS Veteran
Please bare with my rambling as I ponder the best budget way to buy an AP for future use. Any and all feedback appreciated.

All the talk surrounding the recent ticket price increase brought something new to my attention - that AP 'vouchers' don't expire. I consider myself pretty well informed on all things Disney (thanks to The Dis) but I never knew this.

I plan to get an AP for my (and WDW's) 50th birthday. I've never had one. I'm thinking about buying it this year and saving the price increases for the next 3 years. Wish I would have realized this before the large AP price increase this week. Historically, it looks like the price increases average $50/year. Another advantage, I would be buying directly from Disney and could use discounted Disney gift cards. Disadvantage, being tempted to use it right away.

My other option is to wait and buy the most discounted ticket I can find in 2021 and then upgrade on my first trip. The best ticket deal I've ever got saved about $80/ticket. (Oct 2016 6-day PH at 3-day price). I don't expect to be able to find a deal like that again very easily.

I guess I have time to ponder this until rumors of the next ticket price increase start.

I bought two AP vouchers at our local Disney Store 5 years ago. We've have been to Disney twice for 4 day trips since then so waiting on using those APs until we will get good use out of them, probably in 2019 or 20.
I do have a slight fear that we will get to the park and they will have an issueI did save the receipts from the purchase day for more info in case of problems.
I say go for it and get the APs now! Enjoy your 50th birthday celebration!

There is now a 2030 expiration date on new AP vouchers. They can be exchanged for an active AP at no additional charge from when you purchased it. And in the rare event that you still have your voucher after the expiration date, its status becomes like that of a gift card. You would no longer be able to exchanged it for a new AP but you can apply the money that you originally paid for the voucher towards a new AP at the then prevailing price. Older AP vouchers have no expiration date. People have reported activating vouchers that were as old as five years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!