• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

From resale ownership to direct

Electron_si

Mouseketeer
We started our DVC journey off not thinking DVC would be for us, but after touring RIV, VGF and Poly on our adult Orlando trip in Feb 2023 we made an offer on a 200 pt Poly resale contract. I found this board shortly after submitting an offer.

After a few offers on some AKL contracts listed resale we ended up closing today on a Riviera direct for 150 pts using MB for $174 pp (welcome home + military)

Now with 350 points a year between two contracts I think I can say we are done for a while but I’m glad we are open to book new resorts with direct points. I felt like with resale there was just something missing. This board has been great for a new DVC owner learning how things work.

Welcome Home Direct lol

Sounds much like our journey. Now we’re at 200pts after adding 150pt direct VGF to BWV resale. Went from thinking renting DVC was enough, to buying resale, becoming blue card, and now still wanting a bit more points. Each step thinking we wouldn’t ever do the next step.

We really love our DVC. Today we spend much more time in the resorts than parks since becoming members.

Now with 350 points a year between two contracts I think I can say we are done for a while but I’m glad we are open to book new resorts with direct points. I felt like with resale there was just something missing. This board has been great for a new DVC owner learning how things work.
:laughing:
Famous last words.
Congrats!

We are owners at Bay Lake (purchased from Disney in 2009), and then a couple years later, we became owners at Old Key West (purchased through a 3rd party). Getting into DVC is the best decision we ever made. My oldest child is now 23 and my youngest is 4. We have built so many incredible memories together through vacations over these past 15 years, and we are looking forward to building so many more!

We started our DVC journey off not thinking DVC would be for us, but after touring RIV, VGF and Poly on our adult Orlando trip in Feb 2023 we made an offer on a 200 pt Poly resale contract. I found this board shortly after submitting an offer.

After a few offers on some AKL contracts listed resale we ended up closing today on a Riviera direct for 150 pts using MB for $174 pp (welcome home + military)

I'll tell you what, that 10% discount doesn't sound like much, but I end up saving $150-200 every trip.
It's nice to have.
I've also been to 2 Moonlight Magic events this year, which were awesome.
The perks of direct ownership are a nice bonus.

Last edited:

Love to read this and my journey is near identical. Started with 150 Poly and 50 BW resale. Added the 150 direct Riv just a few weeks ago. I felt the exact same way with the missing things factor. Since the buy - I can honestly say I think I am good. For real. And it’s great.

Now with 350 points a year between two contracts I think I can say we are done for a while but
🤣 Check back in 6 months.

We finally feel like we’re good for awhile. We started with 100 resale, added another 100, then another 150 and were done. Well, maybe another 75 resale in a different UY for summer trips would round us out. Then 50 direct Riviera will be good, until we decided every other year wouldn’t be enough there so 100 more Riviera direct. Now we have a blue card and a variety of resale and love it all!

I'll tell you what, that 10% discount doesn't sound like much, but I end up saving $150-200 every trip.
It's nice to have.
I've also been to 2 Moonlight Magic events this year, which were awesome.
The perks are of direct ownership are a nice bonus.

Yeah honestly I was surprised how much use we have already gotten out of becoming direct blue card last June.

When we bought we were already in the resale market for a monorail resort, and the extra expense was small. Really it was no difference for VGF, resale wouldn’t have saved much if anything. But we could’ve went with Poly resale and saved $2-$3k over VGF direct purchase. So that’s sort of what I consider the cost of our Blue Card for 41yrs of perks and ability to book new DVC resorts for decades. Broken down per year the extra expense can be WELL worth it.

Now we’re considering more points I’m again surprised we’re leaning toward direct even after getting blue card. The process is just so much easier. No searching resale for UY, or multiple attempts to make a deal, or points taking months to load or risking something messes up our trip timeline. Direct is one easy step. But the points themselves too. I want to book new resorts and I don’t want to juggle points when some qualify for perks and resale doesn’t.

It’s going to come down to Poly Tower incentives.

My journey with DVC feels like it headed to direct. Though we have been regulars at WDW for 8 years now, we finally decided to take the plunge with a resale contract, then a second before the first one even closed. I have been looking at others and making lots of offers but to no avail. Plus while that has been going on, I have been seeing how stilted the resale process is. Its not consistent, seems haphazard and unnecessarily difficult. We are three weeks into the process o actually closing without any idea of how much longer it will take because they are international sellers. Meanwhile Disney still hasn't reviewed the second one for ROFR going on 27 days.

My wife loves Riviera lot and I love Polynesian a bunch. It actually seems like we are going to be doing those direct. She is already a passholder as she goes to Disney alot so she gets the discounts but admittedly the other "perks" would be great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter