Free parking with an AP, You Tube couple made a comment that made me wonder

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Ok, so I will start off by saying that I am not an AP holder,:sad1: but might be some day. Very possibly may get an AP to the water parks before the end of the year though. But what made me start this thread was what I seen on You Tube the other day. A couple that I watch on You Tube, who goes to the parks almost every day down there, was entering a park via their car and tapped their band to get the free parking that is associated with the AP. But then the got a receipt and they were surprised by that.

Seems as though that wasn't the norm and they made the comment that Disney may start keeping better track of the free parking associated with having an AP. So do you think they are on to something here? Could possible changes be coming to this perk?

We got a receipt once on our trip this past summer. First time ever. I didn't really think anything of it. And yes, I'm sure WDW keeps track of parking....though often CMs at the gate don't scan anything, they just look at our AP card and DW's license (very briefly) and waive us through.

Does Disney charge to park at the water parks if you are not a resort guest or AP holder?

We got receipts every time we parked last week. We never had before. Not sure the reason to print a receipt for something free. Could be lots of reasons, only time will tell.

They just started doing some receipts a couple months ago. We never had received a receipt until about a month or two ago, so it is something new their doing

When we went to Epcot the lady scanned my bad then said hold on let me give you your receipt. Wife and I looked at each other wondering why we got a receipt and just figured that CM must be new. Never had a receipt before so why now. Went to another park, no receipt. Then went to HS, scanned my band, then the man there gave me a receipt and said "oh you've been busy today, enjoy!". I didn't know what he meant until I realized he must see in his booth that HS was the third park we were at for that day.

So for whatever reason it seems like their rolling out with receipts for AP's and they can see what parks you've been at.

I also got a receipt for free parking a couple weeks ago - only at EP. I asked about it the second time and the CM told me they were "testing" a new system at EP. (I see it's spread to other parks now, but it was only EP while I was there.) The tracking thing makes no sense to me: they can track me perfectly well without printing a receipt for me. I did mention that it was a rather unnecessary waste of paper, since I immediately reached back and put it in my car's trash bag, and the CM agreed, saying she and her colleagues have reported the same message to management.

Also interesting, my receipts both showed my free parking as "resort guest" parking, not AP. I was both at the time, staying onsite and an AP holder, so I wonder if one trumps the other automatically, or if the CM has to pick one.

I believe DL AP's pay extra for a parking pass. UO & SeaWorld include parking on their 2 higher value AP's, but not on lower value ones.

I'd be disappointed but not surprised if Disney eliminated the parking benefit on the Florida "Select" passes. That would probably push some locals from the Select up to the Silver, while reducing the frequency of visits by those who stay with a Select.

I'd be disappointed but not surprised if Disney eliminated the parking benefit on the Florida "Select" passes. That would probably push some locals from the Select up to the Silver, while reducing the frequency of visits by those who stay with a Select.

Theme park parking for the Weekday Select pass (and I think Silver, too) was actually added as a perk just 3 or 4 years ago. Wouldn't surprise me to see Disney take it away at some point. I think with SWGE opening next year the company is going to use the increased crowds as an excuse to chip away at certain perks. We've already lost free resort parking, what's next?

... But just for Guests staying at the resorts. Parking is still free for day guests who are dining or visiting. ...

For day guests and for guests staying at a different Disney's resort there is a whole host of resort parking regulations that can change in the middle of the day without notice and with situations where parking is not allowed at all as well as the infamous 3 hour limit. Including that day guests may not park overnight at a resort. This last one will catch Disney's resort guests who drive but do not declare their car at check in.

As a farfetched difficult to understand analogy, consider one rationale for Magical Express as inhibiting guests from renting cars at the airport likely for later use going off of Disney property instead of partaking more of Disney's restaurants. Charging resort guests for parking could then be expected to induce more guests to fly in (and use DME) rather than drive, and therefore not have a car to go off of Disney property.

Perhaps at a later date theme park guests may have to put the receipt in the windshield, provided that the receipt was not of the heat printed variety that would turn solid black after a few hours there in the sun.

Last edited:
Interesting development.... if I had to guess they are starting to collect hard data on how many cars enter using APs. In the past I have never seen a CM make note of our passage. DW would flash her AP and drivers license and the CM would wave us on. I guess they are interested in knowing how much "free parking" they are giving away.

Obviously they know guests with APs entered the park but don't know precisely how they got to the entrance. Did they drive, uber,/taxi, or get dropped off? I would think you could make a pretty good estimate based on how many AP family groups entered the parks who are not staying on site. But perhaps they want to have actual numbers. I'll leave it to your imagination what they might do with the information.

Ya, I believe something here is up with the AP parking. Some APs may have the free parking removed in the not so distant future or not, who knows? I can see Disney starting to charge for parking at the water parks as well. I can't imagine living in Florida, close to the parks and wanting to visit them every week and having to pay to park as well. But I don't think Disney is done just yet with developing new revenue streams regarding parking your vehicle.

Interesting development.... if I had to guess they are starting to collect hard data on how many cars enter using APs. In the past I have never seen a CM make note of our passage. DW would flash her AP and drivers license and the CM would wave us on. I guess they are interested in knowing how much "free parking" they are giving away.

Obviously they know guests with APs entered the park but don't know precisely how they got to the entrance. Did they drive, uber,/taxi, or get dropped off? I would think you could make a pretty good estimate based on how many AP family groups entered the parks who are not staying on site. But perhaps they want to have actual numbers. I'll leave it to your imagination what they might do with the information.

Still doesn’t explain the handing out of receipts. As long as the attendant scans a magic band, or hard ticket, and checks the ID, shouldn’t matter if they hand you a receipt or not. I can see them asking that they actually scan ticket media as a change. It depends on the park/day/time/attendant as to what manner they decide to verify we are AP holders. We have had just a wave with flashing the card, checking the ID with the card, and scanning a magic band. Any way they should be able to get their info without wasting paper. Definitely an interesting development.

Huh. I stayed offsite in April, and 3 out of the 4 times I drove to the parks I stuck out my wrist for them to scan for the AP, and I was just waved through with no scan at all. No card, no ID, nothing at all. Made me wonder...

Huh. I stayed offsite in April, and 3 out of the 4 times I drove to the parks I stuck out my wrist for them to scan for the AP, and I was just waved through with no scan at all. No card, no ID, nothing at all. Made me wonder...
That's been my experience as well. I think that in the last 6 times I've driven to a park, they've actually scanned my MB once!!!

Still doesn’t explain the handing out of receipts.
Exactly. No reason they can't scan and track without issuing a useless receipt to the driver. It's odd.

Re: being waved through vs. scanning... in the past, I've been waved through most of the time, but this last trip (6/29-7/5), my MB was scanned at every park, and I was asked to verify my lat name. I assumed due to the busy time of year (i.e.: July 4th week).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter