free dining--is it really free?

disney momma

disney momma
does this really save money in the long run? is it worth doing the free dining package vs. holding out for FL resident or passholder rates?

I got my price from AAA- then went on the Disney site and input my info like i was going to make a ressie- minus the dining plan.......and it came out to the same price........so my dining was free! :thumbsup2

I don't know anything about the other discount rates and when they are released but since the free dining starts in less than 3 months, I would think that they would have released any other discounts by now if they were going to.

Free dining has to be booked by June 4th - unless they opt to extend the dates. I know that many of the resorts are booked for some of the time so availability is limited now.

You do have to pay rack rate and at least a 1 day 1 park pass per person on the package. That being said, it still ended up being a great deal for us. We usually get a CM discount on room and free admission (plus CM discount on food) and we still couldn't have traveled in Sept this inexpensively because of free dining. So it was a great deal for us! =) If you don't need the park pass, you can apply it towards an annual pass in the future so it's not throwing away money.

HTH!

disney momma said:
is free dining only available with the value resorts or can you get it with the deluxe resorts?

Value, moderate, and deluxe all have rooms blocked for this promotion. I don't believe it's applicable to suites, however.

disney momma said:
is it worth paying the extra money to jump from a value to a deluxe (like WL)?

That's a hard question! It truly depends on what kind of vacation you want. Last vacation, we wanted to relax and do little of the parks. We stayed at the WL and LOVED IT. We slept late, lounged around the hotel, rented the boats, etc. It was so close to the MK and just beautiful. This trip was unplanned and we're only going because it's cheap AND we're planning to do parks almost everyday because my ILs are coming for the first time. So, we decided it wasn't worth deluxe prices since we wouldn't be there as much. We also rent a car so transportation is not an issue for us.

It's a hard question to answer for anyone else...

We did upgrade to the Wilderness Lodge from POFQ. With what we are saving on dining for 4 people we could afford to treat ourselves to a deluxe resort. It will all be paid for ahead of time so don't need to budget in all the expensive dining.
We are really looking forward to this!

Bev

disney momma said:
is it worth paying the extra money to jump from a value to a deluxe (like WL)?

Dunno. Depends on your priorities. We tend to spend our time in the parks and go only for a late night swim and to bed in the hotel. So for us at this time, we don't need a deluxe. But keep in mind, in some deluxe rooms, an AAA discount might actually save you more $ than free dining. MIGHT.

I booked the free dining on the premise that even if a discount IS offered it is not likely to be anywhere near as much as the dining package would cost. That is with a VALUE resort and with 2 adults though. I think the largest discount I can remember for this time of year at a value was about $40 and that is about the cost of one person's dining package.

If you stay at a more expensive place the discount COULD be more than the dining package would cost and if you are not a hearty eater it might not be for you either.

If you stay at a more expensive resort and have children it would more likely be worth it also since you would be getting more food points.

For us, I am thinking it will be. And it will give us a chance to try many places we might not have otherwise considered. If we do not like them we will not feel so bad and if we do we might go on another trip. :love:

Your mileage may vary. :cool1: Slightly Goofy

I haven't figured it down to the penny, but for us 3 adults and DS10, 2 rooms, each one-1 day MYW tickets (we have passes already) with Free Dining for 7 nights, is saving at least $400.00 (probably more-I'm sure). It is well worth it to us, and we won't have to worry about paying the bill at the end (unless we order something not included on the plan). Plus, we normally can't afford to do TS meals much (lucky if we can do 1 a trip), so for us this will be a real treat. We've been to WDW enough that taking the time to travel to any ADR's, if needed, won't mean much to us either.

i'm desperately trying to find some advice on whether it's worth it to use TWO DDP TS meals at Cinderella's castle for ONE dinner? :wave2:

For us, it's worth it this trip. There are 5 "adults" this trip: me, DH, DD18, DD's boyfriend19, and DD10. Had the AAA discount but changed it when the free dining was announced for the time we would be in Disney. We figured it would cost us $190 per/day for the dining plan that we are now getting for free.
Cindy

I priced out a couple of different options to decide about the free dining plan in September. We would like a suite set-up due to having two small children. Suites aren't included with free dining however. So, I priced out the ASMu Suite with no dining compared to a Ft. Wilderness Cabin+Free Dining. The ASMu was approximately $300 less for a 5day/4night trip. I figured we would spend way more than $300 on food in 4 nights for the four of us. So, dining plan it is! I booked our trip yesterday!!

Resident and AP rates have been far and few between of late. If you know what you want I'd book it now. There are not AP rates for my stay in July--only limited resorts. I knew what I wanted and I booked it with the AAA discount so I ddi save a littel. WIth tourism picking upm and many resorts full or nearly full I guess there is no reason to offer the discounted rates.

Disneymomma....I had been debating about that too, whether or not CRT is really worth two TS credits. Food is not that great, character interaction is good. We had been there before, so it wasn't a must do for us. If you haven't been there before, and have young children, I would say it is worth it. Seeing my son's reaction when Cinderella came up and gave him a kiss was the one thing I will remember most about our last trip. However, I am not doing it this time, because the "wow" factor is gone for us. Going to 1900 Park Fair instead, DS can get kissed there for only one credit! Also if it's princesses on your mind, might want to think about Akershaus in Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter