Freaking out about the USD/CAD exchange!

We just bought our MNSSHP tickets. $105ea x 2 plus exchange came to $285CAD. Brutal but its only money and is replaceable. YOLO!

Oh I hear this! We just bought tickets for the end of October for MNSSHP for our family of 4; my oldest daughter turns 10 in August so after exchange our four tickets were over $500CAD :crazy2: It's our first time doing a Halloween party and likely our ONLY time so yeah.....YOLO! o_O

At the end of the day there is nothing we can do about the exchange rate; we can try and save $$ in different ways but the exchange is STILL the rate it's going to be. You either suck it up or you travel somewhere else where the exchange might not be as bad.

I miss those days too! Its just brutal right now. :(

On a side note, im helping my sister plan her disney trip (2 adults, 2 kids). And OH MY GOODNESS, its almost $6k CAD for a family of four??? with the DP its almost $10k!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: Can you believe it? I convinced her not to take the DP, totally not worth the hefty price tag. They will come out on top cheaper if they paid OOP for expenses. In any case, with the CAD dollar the way it is, i'll have to tell her to hold off on paying for it outright until the dollar improves a bit. Crazy times I tell ya. :sad2:

It's crazy!! We spend 6-8000 CDN per trip :(
There are many other things we can do with that money!

Oh I hear this! We just bought tickets for the end of October for MNSSHP for our family of 4; my oldest daughter turns 10 in August so after exchange our four tickets were over $500CAD :crazy2: It's our first time doing a Halloween party and likely our ONLY time so yeah.....YOLO! o_O

At the end of the day there is nothing we can do about the exchange rate; we can try and save $$ in different ways but the exchange is STILL the rate it's going to be. You either suck it up or you travel somewhere else where the exchange might not be as bad.

We have to buy 4 tickets! It comes to around 500!

It doesn't have to be this way. We just got back from a week (9 days - March break) and I finished tallying all the bills last night. For absolutely everything (transportation, accommodation, food & drink, tickets (4 Disney days), souvenirs, shopping) we were under $4k Canadian (and our border claim was over $1k, so a lot of that spend came back with us). It all depends on how you plan and the decisions you make. By making wise choices that are right for our family, we are able to go to Orlando a lot more often than we originally thought possible. YOLO or GAOAP (go as often as possible)?

This trip was only two adults, but if our kids came along (now adults themselves-that little kid in my avatar is in 2nd year of Engineering), it would not have amounted to much additional cost. Our villa sleeps 8, so extra tickets and some extra food, 2nd or larger hotel room on the drive there and back. For the ten+ years we have been going down, this is not the worst exchange rate we have seen - although it is the worst Disney costs we have seen as they continue to skyrocket well beyond inflation.

For the ten+ years we have been going down, this is not the worst exchange rate we have seen - although it is the worst Disney costs we have seen as they continue to skyrocket well beyond inflation.

The exchange is rough, no question about that, but I tend to agree with @bankr63 in that the main cost increase for us over the years has been the inflation of the actual Disney tickets. Then when you pack the exchange on top it is really hard for me to justify going to the World. I have been slowly using the Air Miles program to "purchase" 5 day tickets which obviously offsets the cost but there is still food in the parks. It costs us a fortune to eat once you factor in the exchange!

It doesn't have to be this way. We just got back from a week (9 days - March break) and I finished tallying all the bills last night. For absolutely everything (transportation, accommodation, food & drink, tickets (4 Disney days), souvenirs, shopping) we were under $4k Canadian (and our border claim was over $1k, so a lot of that spend came back with us). It all depends on how you plan and the decisions you make. By making wise choices that are right for our family, we are able to go to Orlando a lot more often than we originally thought possible. YOLO or GAOAP (go as often as possible)?

This trip was only two adults, but if our kids came along (now adults themselves-that little kid in my avatar is in 2nd year of Engineering), it would not have amounted to much additional cost. Our villa sleeps 8, so extra tickets and some extra food, 2nd or larger hotel room on the drive there and back. For the ten+ years we have been going down, this is not the worst exchange rate we have seen - although it is the worst Disney costs we have seen as they continue to skyrocket well beyond inflation.

Hi, sorry for this Q, but how do you file a border claim when coming back from the US? Is there a form and a place to do so? We are trying our best to avoid or compensate the current rate exchange and this could be a good way of having few dollars back...Thank in advance for your answer.

Forgot to mentioned that we are new in the blog and, OF COURSE, we are planning to visit WDW in August. We already booked a room and ticket waiting for the DDP offer... We all know that avery dollar counts in the WDW (food, souvenirs and activities)

Hi, sorry for this Q, but how do you file a border claim when coming back from the US? Is there a form and a place to do so? We are trying our best to avoid or compensate the current rate exchange and this could be a good way of having few dollars back...Thank in advance for your answer.

Forgot to mentioned that we are new in the blog and, OF COURSE, we are planning to visit WDW in August. We already booked a room and ticket waiting for the DDP offer... We all know that avery dollar counts in the WDW (food, souvenirs and activities)
Sorry, not a claim back. Every Canadian returning from abroad is allowed to claim a certain amount to be brought back to Canada without tax or duty. For 24-48 hours it is $300, for 48+ hours it is $800. After 7 days, you are also allowed to bring in alcohol and tobacco (specified amounts) under your personal exemption. You can read more here: https://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/what-you-can-bring-home-to-canada Note that the exemptions are for all ages (except A&T), so even an infant can bring back $800 of goods.

So for two adults returning after a week, we were allowed to declare up to $1600 dollars which included a half-bottle of wine and 8 beers that we had somehow failed to consume during the week (shocking, I know!)

There are no forms to fill out at land border crossings, the agent will ask if you have anything to declare and you answer honestly. If you are over limit, the agent may, at their discretion, pull you over to secondary and have you pay tax and or duty (if applicable) on the excess. If you know you are over limit, it helps to know what is dutiable and taxable and what is not. Since many groceries have neither tax nor duty, make sure you indicate those as your overage.

If you are returning by air, you will be provided with a form on the flight home to complete. You generally only complete one form per family.

It's crazy!! We spend 6-8000 CDN per trip :(
There are many other things we can do with that money!
I have a feeling that my upcoming trip will hit that range. Already at $4300 and haven’t even added in gas and meals for the drive down.

Mind you, this is for 8 people so it’s probably not that bad?

$4000 just gets me out the door these days. That covers airfare and tickets for 4. Not hotel, food, tips, rental car, or shopping. Definitely feeling it!

Open a US savings account! Seriously this relieves soooo much exchange rate stress if you make big trips to the US. We have a US dollar account and a trip savings account. When we have a trip coming up (so always haha) I put money in the CAD travel account every paycheque. When the dollar is okay I transfer it to USD. Then I know what I have in US funds.

We also have a USD credit card.

Anyone else nervously watching the exchange rates for an upcoming trip?

We are heading down in May and I am starting to freak out as I am watching the CAD slide.

I bought some USD cash in January when the rates were reasonably good and now I wish I had bought more...have to pay the balance on my townhouse in the next couple of days and pick up some Universal tickets while I can still get them at a good rate. Not to mention all the costs when we are actually down there in May! :sad:

Can anyone talk me off the ledge or are you as nervous as I am that this is just the beginning of a major slide? :scared:
We bought Canadian Resident tickets just before dollar sunk under .80. Booked offsite in a hotel with free breakfast, plan on bringing some lunch and will be using my American money I bought last year. So excited all the same!

I miss those days too! Its just brutal right now. :(

On a side note, im helping my sister plan her disney trip (2 adults, 2 kids). And OH MY GOODNESS, its almost $6k CAD for a family of four??? with the DP its almost $10k!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: Can you believe it? I convinced her not to take the DP, totally not worth the hefty price tag. They will come out on top cheaper if they paid OOP for expenses. In any case, with the CAD dollar the way it is, i'll have to tell her to hold off on paying for it outright until the dollar improves a bit. Crazy times I tell ya. :sad2:

TBH, travel as a family 4 is just expensive. We were looking at different (non-Disney trip options) but all of the options are around 6K. Once you factor in flights x 4 it adds up fast.

$4000 just gets me out the door these days. That covers airfare and tickets for 4. Not hotel, food, tips, rental car, or shopping. Definitely feeling it!
I travel on a budget too. My last two weeklong trip with disney tickets and food came in under $3000. Stretch those Loonies!

Anyone else nervously watching the exchange rates for an upcoming trip?

We are heading down in May and I am starting to freak out as I am watching the CAD slide.

I bought some USD cash in January when the rates were reasonably good and now I wish I had bought more...have to pay the balance on my townhouse in the next couple of days and pick up some Universal tickets while I can still get them at a good rate. Not to mention all the costs when we are actually down there in May! :sad:

Can anyone talk me off the ledge or are you as nervous as I am that this is just the beginning of a major slide? :scared:[/QUOTE
Booked my offsite package when it was at its lowest. And bought Canadian resident tickets. After watching our dollar slide to .67 a few summers ago I bought some American dollars when they were at .80 because that always seems to be breaking point. Will only use cash and am lucky that I am not travelling with a little kid. I always feel bad when I see the breakdowns. So it does take the stress off when you have x number of dollars planned per day. Why do we do this to ourselves.

If you are returning by air, you will be provided with a form on the flight home to complete. You generally only complete one form per family.

Last Sunday returning to Canada at YOW, there were no paper forms handed out on the plane. It's all done on a kiosk now. We have NEXUS, so we haven't done paper forms for quite awhile but did see kiosks being used in the non-NEXUS line.

TBH, travel as a family 4 is just expensive. We were looking at different (non-Disney trip options) but all of the options are around 6K. Once you factor in flights x 4 it adds up fast.
Yes your right. Travelling anywhere with a family of 4 is crazy expensive. I know a lot of families of 4 that drive to florida from toronto because flight cost is too much. Its much cheaper to drive because what you spend on gas is always much less. Some stay at cheap motels along the way, some drive straight through. Crazy!

I travel on a budget too. My last two weeklong trip with disney tickets and food came in under $3000. Stretch those Loonies!
Wow, $3k? with a family of how many? How did you manage that? Give us some tips! :teeth:

Yes your right. Travelling anywhere with a family of 4 is crazy expensive. I know a lot of families of 4 that drive to florida from toronto because flight cost is too much. Its much cheaper to drive because what you spend on gas is always much less. Some stay at cheap motels along the way, some drive straight through. Crazy!

Wow, $3k? with a family of how many? How did you manage that? Give us some tips! :teeth:
I guess, maybe that is not so cheap. It is only two adults, but that is from my front door travel insurance, flight, tickets, food and back limos included start to finish. We try every trip to make it cheaper last trip for us was $2800 CDN. I think travelling with young kids even though the hotel is free for them probably ends up costing more because it is so hard to say no to all the things they want to see and do. Never, took mine when they were small as I did not want to have to spend a lot on a vacation where I would have to say no to so many things. Can I bring this vacation in under budget and still enjoy it fully I think so. But we'll see....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter