France/Germany itinerary

Douglas Dubh

DIS Veteran
So planning a trip in May and sketched out a rough plan and I’m hoping to get some input.

Day 1 Arrive Paris
Day 2 Paris to Heidelberg
Day 3 Heidelberg to Munich
Day 4 Munich
Day 5 Munich
Day 6 Salzburg day trip
Day 7 Neuschwanstein/Innsbruck
Day 8 Munich to Strasbourg
Day 9 Strasbourg to Paris
Day 10 Paris
Day 11 Paris
Day 12 Paris
Day 13 DLP
Day 14 DLP
Day 15 DLP
Day 16 Paris to Tours (Loire Valley)
Day 17 Tours to Mont St Michael
Day 18 Mont St Michael to Normandy Beaches
Day 19 Normandy Beaches to Paris
Day 20 Depart

Any suggestions? What should I add? What should I replace if I add something? Plan to rent a car to do drive to Munich then turn it in when we get back then rent another car after DLP. Days 10 to 12 are set because my daughter needs to be in Paris for a convention, but other stuff could be moved around. Is Memorial Day a big deal in France, or is it only an American thing?

I wouldn't add anything, this is a trip with a lot of impressions. Give yourself time to process everything.
Remembrance day differs throughout Europe, as each country got liberated on different dates. For us in the Netherlands it's May 4th, in France it's May 8th. It's a bank holiday,

Other bank holidays in May 2023 in France: 1, 8, 18, 28, 29.

A tip from a German:

Ty to get your ticket for the castle Neuschwanstein online as soon as possible and get an early slot. It may be sold out fast and very crowded there. If you like to walk you can do so from the village up to the castle. It is a pretty walk but you have to be in good shape to do that (but you will walk in DLP all the day I think). When doing so you can avoid the crowded shuttle busses or paying a lot of money for a carriage ride.

There are two path up to the castle and you will find a lot of infos online.

Let me know if you need more help/infos for your German part of the journey.

Let me know if you need more help/infos for your German part of the journey.
The main question I had was whether I had too much time in Munich and not enough in Heidelberg or if I should cut a day in Munich and stop in another city for a day.

The main question I had was whether I had too much time in Munich and not enough in Heidelberg or if I should cut a day in Munich and stop in another city for a day.
Munich is a mich bigger city than Heidelberg and you will have a lot mor to do and see in Munich than in Heidelberg. I really do not know why Heidelberg seems so much interesting for US or other countries tourists.

What about an extra day in Salzburg? You will se so much there and it is an awesome town which a lot of history. Much more then Heidelberg.

Munich is a mich bigger city than Heidelberg and you will have a lot mor to do and see in Munich than in Heidelberg. I really do not know why Heidelberg seems so much interesting for US or other countries tourists.

What about an extra day in Salzburg? You will se so much there and it is an awesome town which a lot of history. Much more then Heidelberg.
Yeah we could do an overnight there and then hit Innsbrook and Neuschwanstein on way west.

I’d really like to do a day at Europapark but rest of the family isn’t interested.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter