Fort Wilderness (and general camping) Etiquette

Respect the struggling parent slowing down the Meadows Trading Post check-out line while their five-year old decides to select every item on the magnet wall.

I agree with your whole post, except for this sentence. If someone in your party is slowing down the line, then be the respectful one and let others go ahead of you. Just because it is a child that is holding it up, does not mean that it is still not rude to those who are waiting. Make sure you have everything set before you get in line.

Sorry if i offended, ill leave the bolt cutters at home! But those lights were on all night. And i think thats qhat the op was elluding to.

Back on topic, I did think about something that I believe most of us have experienced and not just at FW. It's the parking (Let's try not to get in a row about rules), I'm talking about just in general keeping your "stuff" from making it difficult for others to get around with loop.

Once I set my camper up, I typically take my truck up to and leave it at the overflow parking in the vehicle (not RV) parking lot to keep the clutter down. Most will park theirs sideways which if just fine too. Just check it once you park it. If it's making things tight, move it over a little.

The roads in the loops are relatively narrow and unfortunately the increase in rig size hasnt had a similar increase in site size. Our previous trip in 2017 we had a neighbor in the 1700 loop that often had a tire off the pad, several times the ranger left notes on the truck AFTER driving past the site down the way with 3 cars and 15 people on it. The multiple cars scattered on the site is still a big problem, especially on the weekends. There were many times when the 2100 loop was impassible due to cars parked everywhere.

I hope this thread stays alive a while, personally I try to keep my posts polite and experience based. Everything is debatable as long as we are civil.

The funny part is that we have stayed several times at the Fort for extended periods. After dropping that much $$ for a lengthy stay you start to get more critical than you do when staying for just a weekend/week. Its kind of a nice problem to have.

Good afternoon, fellow Disney and FW aficionados. We are frequent Fort campers, and longtime WDW annual pass holders. We have been visiting the Fort for more than 36 years, and we have amassed more stays that I would care to admit.

In recent years, there has been a rise in younger families (of which I am among) and new couples acquiring RVs (trailers and motorhomes). This has boded well for the industry and amenities being offered to these groups, but it has added a large population of “newbie” campers who could benefit from some pointers.

Many of us view the Fort as a respite retreat from the crowds and chaos of the theme parks. Not only is it the largest of the Disney resorts (in acreage), it is the least congested (person per square foot). If you are here to research your first camping trip to the Fort, you are in for an AMAZING and memory-filled trip. Here are a few basic tips for campground (especially the Fort) etiquette so that this resort remains the BEST in WDW!

1. Turn off your lights
Although we might leave our porch lights on at all hours at home, our “mobile” neighbors (and tents) won’t appreciate your blinding LED displays while they’re trying to sleep. I have had Fort neighbors who placed more lights on their campsite than a 5,000 foot runway. NEVER position a spotlight or laser display at another campsite/trailer/motorhome. While I appreciate your creativeness in Disney decorating, I also appreciate the sleep (for me and my kids). The second word in the resort’s name should be reflective of what you encounter: Wilderness.​

2. Keep the noise down
Almost all RVs come with an outdoor entertainment center/TV. Just because you have it, doesn’t mean you need to personally host the nightly “movie under the stars.” Keep the volume down, and your neighbors will GREATLY appreciate it.​

3. Follow the traffic patterns
This is a pretty loose rule for human-powered vehicles (bikes, scooters, etc.), but it DEFINITELY applies to golf carts and cars. All loops are one-way traffic… just because you might not have doors doesn’t mean you are immune from traffic laws/rules.​

4. Fires
The Fort is quite explicit with the approved types of fire pits (all require spark arrestors and solid tops. I have seen some campsites (with 94º outdoor temperatures) with a 6-foot bonfire and smoking out three loops. Don’t be that guy. Not only are you needlessly burning enough wood to build a Habitat for Humanity home, you are putting many families, and their property, at risk. You paid a lot of money for the first-class Fort amenities; use them. The nightly campfire programs are fantastic, and no need to lose your eyebrows.
5. Do NOT cut through campsites
Would you walk through a stranger's hotel room to get to the bus stop? NO! Treat other campsites as someone else's home/yard, and do not walk/scoot/bike through it. This is incredibly disrespectful, rude and downright un-Disney.​

6. Be Respectful
This is the bottom line. Unlike other campgrounds that you might frequent, EVERYONE at the Fort is there to have a good and magical time. Some of us are trying our best to maintain sanity with small children, and some are adoring and reflecting on past generations and family memories. Respect the struggling parent slowing down the Meadows Trading Post check-out line while their five-year old decides to select every item on the magnet wall. Show patience to the ten-year old who can’t quite get their marshmallow perfectly charred at the campfire. Do what you can to spread a little magic, and a little less grief.​

What other etiquette pointers do you have?

Great list. I will just add a few.

Pets: If you bring your fur babies, please pick up after them. Also, if you know (and not all do, I understand that) that he/she/they will bark constantly when you are away, leave them at home or board at Best Friends Pet Care while you are at the parks. It's not fair to them or your neighbors.

Carts: Please do not allow your under 16 child to drive. This is against the rules, but we see it every time. If you have a nice stereo system on your cart, please don't assume that everyone around you also wants to hear it.

Wildlife: I know kids will be kids, but please try to keep them from chasing (or worse, throwing pine cones at ) the turkeys, deer and squirrels.

Bikes: If you will be riding at night, please make sure to have lights.

My biggest thing at any campground is to please observe quiet hours. The Ft. Was pretty good compared to my local campgrounds full of partying drunks! And I realize little ones sometimes cry in the night ( I had 4 kids so I know) but if you have a screaming kid take them for a ride or something. We are tent campers and hear everything.

Put your trash where it belongs.

As a teenager I worked in the rec hall at a campground and I can't even remember the number of times (especially on Sundays when people were getting ready to leave) that I directed a camper to a dumpster to keep them from putting a full trash bag in one of the trash cans at the rec hall.

X2 on the golf carts and kids under 16. They are not toys. Most dont understand that the roads in FW are under the jurisdiction of the county Sheriffs dept. A young man about 14 almost ran into the back of my truck when I stopped to back into our site. That would have been an ugly and expensive mistake for his Mother who was sitting next to him. Along with the issue of aggressive dogs I will go straight to Sheriffs dept if someone runs into my stuff.

If you're going to the pool with a group but everybody is in the pool at the same time, don't take up 5 lounge chairs in the shade. I am very sensitive to the sun and had to "stalk" the spots in the shade as people left so I could find ONE chair to watch my kid in the pool. Several towels got more shade time than I did.

Thanks for the tips... We are probably your target demographic. We've never been in an RV and are renting this time. Lots of those things on your list are plain ole common sense, but it was nice to be reminded.

We will be traveling with our 16 month old pup (7 pounds) and rented an RV so he would feel more "at home" while we were out. We have a camera with a bark sensor and are keenly aware that we will have neighbors. What I plan on doing is to go to each of them, explain what we're doing, and give them our phone number in case he bothers them. When we rented the RV we didn't know the cabins were pet friendly. But after doing the math, and seeing all that came with the RV, we realized the cost was almost the same, but the RV gave us so much more. We also have Children's Benadryl with us in case we need to calm him down. But he already is calm... unless he hears a noise. So we may be hanging around that RV a lot of time this trip :)

While I've never camped at Fort Wilderness, I want to but the drive from the Pacific Northwest makes it a bit impractical for the time being. However we camp a lot. Having camped in Popups, Hybrids, Travel Trailers, Fifth wheels and and now a motorhome it is one of my favorite times and I always enjoy camping. But I don't always enjoy all of my neighbors. Rudeness and courtesy isn't a younger generation issue, it transcends all age groups. It's not a have vs. have not issue either. Some people just don't think about their neighbors. Let's face it we see the "It's all about me" all over the place; Disney and Camping are not immune.

A few other items I'd add to this list include;
  • Take Care Of Your Pets. Not only means picking up after your pet, but not leaving them on a leash outside or allowing that leash to reach into your neighbors campsite. I had one dog chew into my water hose once, I wasn’t happy as I didn’t have a backup hose.
  • Make sure your sewer connection is right and secure. Don’t use a torn or damaged hose. Remember your connection is probably close to your neighbors site. Also make sure your water connection isn’t leaking either.
  • Put your fire out completely, no smoldering and no smoke. It needs to be out. Remember, don’t use it as a garbage can.
  • Be polite if you are up early. Slamming your RV door once is too much, but over and over is beyond rude, same goes for your compartment doors.
  • Outside porch lights are fine, this is where I recommend not using a bright LED light if possible. Your awning can often help to reduce how much light shines on your neighbors RV. But once you got to bed the only light that should be on should be a soft light. I had toy hauler with huge bright white lights and I often see people leave those on. It's like staring into the sun.
  • Take the time to meet your neighbors, its a whole lot easier if there is a problem to talk about things if you meet your neighbor. I really liked what @Mary2e said. I've had neighbors do the same thing and we even offered to take their dog out on a leash since since we were at the campground all day.
  • I think if we all try to be good neighbors the camping community works so great and makes it enjoyable for everyone.
Happy Camping!

Thanks for the reminders - and as a previous poster noted - there will be those entitled to interpret common courtesy to fit their own self-centered needs.(Examples above.)

I'll add another here:
If you are bringing Rover - please be sure that he/she/they are comfortable staying alone in your camper for long periods of time. It is very rude to subject your neighbors to endless hours of your furbabies barking and howling while you are away.

My biggest thing at any campground is to please observe quiet hours. The Ft. Was pretty good compared to my local campgrounds full of partying drunks! And I realize little ones sometimes cry in the night ( I had 4 kids so I know) but if you have a screaming kid take them for a ride or something. We are tent campers and hear everything.

SO true!!! We were once in a hybrid camper (fabric bunk ends), and our Fort neighbor (across from us) had an LED firework projection show, complete with firework sound effects, going all night long. I finally walked over and unplugged it the second night at 12 AM.

We have also had neighbors place solar landscaping lights (bright LEDs used to illuminate their fancy campsite/family sign), within 10 feet of our camper, shining directly into our windows.

It is so great to read some of these suggestions and ideas!!! It actual renews a lot of my faith in humanity and campers!

The basics are just that... basics. Don't break the rules (especially concerning traffic/golf carts). If you (or your child) damage someone's property (and some of these motorhomes can easily exceed $500k), your already pricey vacation could get a whole lot more expensive.

As many have said, common sense really covers most of it, but rather than assume a "rude" camper is just a jerk, it's also likely that no one cared enough to tell/teach them the error of their ways. Sounds like many new Fort visitors are on this thread, and that's exciting! It truly is a magical place, and one that has community... a LOT more so than your typical hotel/motel style resort. I always try to help a younger family that appears to be struggling. Been there (and I AM still there some days - 2 and 5 year old). Some might assume that staying in the Fort offers budgetary relief to choosing another resort (many of us have found that not to be entirely true), and add a lot of pressure to their vacation (Disney PLUS camping). I try to cut them slack, and offer assistance if at all possible. They probably don't know that their own personal light show (complete with firework sound effects) is distracting at 3 AM.

I try to see the best in people (and no place challenges that more than WDW... I know), but common sense, respect and understanding really go a long way.

Last edited:
I always go to parking lights only on the truck upon entering the loop when returning after 8pm, especially if you're on the far end of the loop and you have to circle it.

I always go to parking lights only on the truck upon entering the loop when returning after 8pm, especially if you're on the far end of the loop and you have to circle it.

I would not expect nor recommend anyone driving at night with headlights. A neighbor trying to get to their site after dark should not be a nuisance. We've all had to do it.

I'm here now and everyone is obeying the rules! Amazing!

I have been guilty of leaving lights on outside the trailer but its usually in response to kids running through and around my site at night.

Leaving bug zappers on is okay though. Quality entertainment.
Can I hang some wind chimes near by too ;) :D
adsg.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!