Forgot about one time use points and borrowed instead

Michelle1125

Mouseketeer
Darn! I forgot about one-time use points and borrowed 13 points for my reservation. I know borrowed points can't be put back, but can they use those first along with one-time use points and let me bank the 13 from this use year that I won't use. I hope that makes sense.

It never hurts to call and ask Member Services. I seem to remember the rules saying you have to use all your current use year points before buying one time use points, but it never hurts to call and explain the situation and see what they say.

I had the greatest MS CM yesterday, I don't remember her name, and I wasn't doing any creative point use things...just adding a friend to my reservation for next month. She was so efficient...she went through and added him to all my dining reservations, added him to the fireworks dessert party, took his credit card info for the dessert party payment, added him to DME and added him to the River of Light dinner, as well. Explained to me how to add him to fastpasses on the app. She was so pleasant and so nice. Everything a Disney CM should be!

Last edited:
Are you in banking period? If so, you can do what you are asking.

Technically if the same reservation isn’t still avail to book they aren’t supposed to as the OTU points are only supposed to be avail for purchase as part of making a new reservation (not an existing one). That being said I know they can reallocate them so if you get a nice cast member they would probably help you out. My situation was different (I had purchased the OTU points but then changed my reservation and they forgot to use those first) but they definitely swapped out the points without there being current availability.

Thanks everyone. Yeah I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. I am in my banking window. Things are a little confusing now since we used to take trips in October and our use year is September. We now have go in the summer so I am using my 2017 points for our June 2018 trip. So I guess I shouldn't really worry about putting back the 2018 points that I borrowed. I could use 2018 and 2019 points for my 2019 trip. Since my use year is September it would technically be borrowing, but it's my 2019 vacation. I've gotten myself all confused now. :upsidedow

I would rather bank or borrow with points I’ve already paid for (or am
paying for) than buy OTU points. So I don’t see why this is worrying you. It’s what I would have done to begin with. The one time I used OTU was when I had NO points left at all.

Though I suppose if this current reservation is a 7 month one and the next trip will need to be an 11 month one, that makes a difference.

I would rather bank or borrow with points I’ve already paid for (or am
paying for) than buy OTU points. So I don’t see why this is worrying you. It’s what I would have done to begin with. The one time I used OTU was when I had NO points left at all.

Though I suppose if this current reservation is a 7 month one and the next trip will need to be an 11 month one, that makes a difference.

We're to the point now that we will have to borrow every year because we used to go in October or January. Summer is costing us more and I guess it's time to look into buying more points.

I had the greatest MS CM yesterday, I don't remember her name,

I sent an email the following day and asked for the person's extension (who's name I couldn't remember either) and they sent it to me. You may want to do the same in case you have a tricky issue again in the future.

Of course, she'lp robably get promoted out of that position by then, but that's just how my luck typically goes.

Darn! I forgot about one-time use points and borrowed 13 points for my reservation. I know borrowed points can't be put back, but can they use those first along with one-time use points and let me bank the 13 from this use year that I won't use. I hope that makes sense.
You can ask, for the 7 month window they'll likely make it happen and make you whole. This can't be done at the 11 mo window. But it's almost always better to use the points you own than OTU points. The only exception I can think of is for difficult resorts to own where you need more points for specific options. Even then a private rental or transfer here and there is often better than using OTU points to stretch points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!